How to stop smelling horrible after exercise?

My friend smells the second he starts doing exercise, and it's the type that you can't escape and fills your lungs leaving tiny particles in your nose so that you can still smell him even when you've moved away.

I can't imagine there's anything he could do to avoid the smell while exercising or after until he showers.

I personally wear a dove cucumber roll on and find it perfect to get me through the day and stop any smells and my clothes stay smelling fresh, but then my sweat isn't smelly at all.

The only possible solution that I could imagine would be dietary change. Just as Asian guys have a very Asian food sweaty smell, you will too if you eat the wrong food.

Final idea would be roll a joint and light it after exercise. Nothing like the smell of smoke and weed to cover up any other possible smell

Caporegime
The amount of silly showering advice on here lately is ridiculous. Within a few days we'll have escalated to recommending we all have showers every 30 seconds and before and after every 2nd inhalation.
well if you are a bit sweaty and go cycling and get more sweaty the bacteria will love you for it and you could end up with a nice fat boil.

13miles cycling is hardly exercise though I'd expect most people not to break a sweat on a steady commute

Soldato
OP
well if you are a bit sweaty and go cycling and get more sweaty the bacteria will love you for it and you could end up with a nice fat boil.

13miles cycling is hardly exercise though I'd expect most people not to break a sweat on a steady commute

13 miles is exercise, and 13 miles at 20mph with 10kg pannier on is defenitly exercise.

Has brain dead OP worked out he needs to take a change of top and can of deodorant with him yet?......

How very nice of you.

---------------------

I don't cycle into work then sit in stinking clothes, I take my clothes with me, I have specific clothes for cycling in.

13 miles is exercise, and 13 miles at 20mph with 10kg pannier on is defenitly exercise.

How very nice of you.

---------------------

I don't cycle into work then sit in stinking clothes, I take my clothes with me, I have specific clothes for cycling in.

unfortunately these forums can be very hostile for no reason. it takes a while to get used to it.

Associate
Only wash with pure soap, use no deodorant and have no particular smell. If I ever notice a smell I shower with Hibbiscrub instead.

Riding to work I typically under dress for the temperature and take it easy for the last bit.

Soldato
You shouldn't work up a stink just through a short stint of exercise unless you aren't clean to start with. The smell is probably coming from bacteria living in your clothes (especially if you're wearing daft synthetic lycra stuff).

Giving the offending articles of clothing a soak in some vinegar on the whiffy areas, for 5-10 minutes, before putting them through the wash should do the trick.

Soldato
I drink a lot of coffee? I eat pizza for breakfast :p. I wash my cycling clothes at 30 degrees with Daz, I thought you couldn't was cycling clothes any higher because the lycra would get damaged?

Bit of mustard in there will help, or half a garlic bulb. Just pop it in there with the wash. If you have no garlic, a couple of onions will do.

Soldato
Shower immediately after exercising - easy.

Exercising creates sweat all over your body. Sweat smells. You cant deodorize your whole body, only solution is to wash it off.
As others have said, it's not the sweat that smells it's the bacteria that thrive on it. But they generally only thrive in protected crevasses like armpits, and not on exposed skin where they regularly get rubbed off. Deodourising is literally trying to hide a bad smell with a better one. Again, as others have said, anti-persoirant will actually stop the sweat in the first place, and...

Very bad idea to cover your sweat glands with aluminium oxide before a workout.
No, it's not. You're not blocking every pore. Just those pores in your armpits where bacteria are more likely to do well.

The other thing to consider is that man-made fibres are excellent for sweat-wicking but do seem to get foul-smelling quickly. Merino wool is much less smelly. There are also some treatments for sports fabrics and travel clothing which they claim makes clothes less smelly.

If you can't shower immediately after exercise, a pack of wet wipes to get the worst off the pits can work quite well.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom