BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Thanks guys. It's likely going to be a buy, but I need to test drive if first to ensure I can live with the softer suspension.

The decision will also depend on the final asking price after the trade in, but the pre-valuation they have given me is close to what I expected.

On another note, has anyone got any experience with Inchcape car warranty? I previously viewed a similar with another Inchcape dealer and they offered two years warranty with no excees with them, on top of the AUC warranty, for something like £799, which is a lot cheaper than BMW Insured warranty (£1141/year with £100 excess...).

Soldato
Apologizes if this has been covered before, but what is considered too higher mileage on an old car? I'm thinking of a say a 2005/6 X3 3.0 diesel M-Sport. Quite common to see these now north of 100K miles, often with service history which is obviously a good thing. I read transfer boxes are fragile or get damaged with the wrong tyres fitted. How strong are the Auto boxes? I guess these will be the better 6 speed box and not the old 5 speed GM box my old Z4 had ?
Just looking for a "cheap" 4 wheel drive for winter, the X3 looked like a lot of car for the money, at around 4-5K.

Caporegime
Apologizes if this has been covered before, but what is considered too higher mileage on an old car? I'm thinking of a say a 2005/6 X3 3.0 diesel M-Sport. Quite common to see these now north of 100K miles, often with service history which is obviously a good thing. I read transfer boxes are fragile or get damaged with the wrong tyres fitted. How strong are the Auto boxes? I guess these will be the better 6 speed box and not the old 5 speed GM box my old Z4 had ?
Just looking for a "cheap" 4 wheel drive for winter, the X3 looked like a lot of car for the money, at around 4-5K.
If cheap 4x4 for winter is your criteria, I’d guess you’ll have more durable and suitable choices for your budget than a ~12year old BMW, the boxes are strong so long as they have fluid changes - but given BMW insist they are “sealed for life” the majority won’t have been touched which then makes them very prone to failing at that age and mileage.

The 3.0d is a good engine but not very economical and again at that age and mileage I’d only want one with low owners and a full detailed service history.

As I say, look for something else - and that’s from an ardent BMW fan!

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Hi all,

I've had my 2014 BMW 2-series for 2 1/2 years now having purchased it approved used through Sytner.

It looks like I am due a major oil service and vehicle inspection (along with the MOT). I've just been quoted £440 for the service and MOT back with Sytner. Thoughts on this please? I don't really know whether it's worth ringing around local garages which I'm sure will be cheaper. Better to keep the dull dealership service history?

Thank you,

Tom

Soldato
Hi all,

I've had my 2014 BMW 2-series for 2 1/2 years now having purchased it approved used through Sytner.

It looks like I am due a major oil service and vehicle inspection (along with the MOT). I've just been quoted £440 for the service and MOT back with Sytner. Thoughts on this please? I don't really know whether it's worth ringing around local garages which I'm sure will be cheaper. Better to keep the dull dealership service history?

Thank you,

Tom

When I had a similar experience with my M135i I told them that their quote was too expensive and haggled them down, offering to bring my own oil.

I didn't bring my own oil, but I did manage to haggle some 25% off, if memory serves.

Keep full BMW service history IMO.

Caporegime
@Scania alternatives to an X3 ? That will end up being an Audi !!! Something I was trying to avoid.
Suggestions ?

Depends if you want a “wannabe executive 4x4 motor” or one that does what it says on the tin...

I’m thinking an old school Nissan / Toyota to be honest, nothing in terms of the “image” of a BMW or indeed Audi but, the sort of thing I’d imagine that would fit the criteria if you can disregard the badges...

Soldato
Lowly peasant in a crappy old E46 330d update - finished undercoating it this week, the underneath was absolutely rock solid with no hint of corrosion!
Shame they didn't put that much effort into the wheel arches... :p

When I've shifted the Merc Sprinter (long story), another MG and sold my first house, I'll probably add a 'proper' BMW to the fleet - a friend has an E60 M5 he picks me up in occasionally, so something like that is a possibility.

Soldato
I'm in the market for a 3 series and have seen a 2014 335D Luxury with 84K miles and full dealer history.

It's fully loaded, including sports seats, adaptive suspension and HUD. Prices at 16K

I'd not considered the Luxury as I really wanted the M Sport, however with the seat and suspension, it's not that far away.

It it a good deal or is a 2014 84K 335D not worth thinking about for £16K

Associate
Does anyone have any idea how much I should be looking at for a Brake Fluid change on a 2015 420d coupe?

Sytner want £148.45!

The lady did try checking the price outside of the 3 year warranty, but couldn't get onto the systems or something.

I've spotted Marshall offering £79 (https://www.marshall.co.uk/bmw/aftersales-offers/brake-fluid/) but there isn't a dealer near me.

EDIT:

Just spotted this

YOUR ESTIMATE:
Brake fluid service
£93
Standard scope
£27
Total: £120

On the online service booking system for the same dealership.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm in the market for a 3 series and have seen a 2014 335D Luxury with 84K miles and full dealer history.

It's fully loaded, including sports seats, adaptive suspension and HUD. Prices at 16K

I'd not considered the Luxury as I really wanted the M Sport, however with the seat and suspension, it's not that far away.

It it a good deal or is a 2014 84K 335D not worth thinking about for £16K

That is a lot of mileage.

I dont recall when BMW stop offering the extended warranty cover - i think it might be after 60K (fox?)

If I was you I would look for a used approved, as they come with a years warranty, and wither pay more or choose a smaller engine to get a lower mileage example.

Soldato
That is a lot of mileage.

I dont recall when BMW stop offering the extended warranty cover - i think it might be after 60K (fox?)

If I was you I would look for a used approved, as they come with a years warranty, and wither pay more or choose a smaller engine to get a lower mileage example.

Yeah. The mileage is the only negative for me. The spec is great and I'm not sure how many like this will come along but I'm in no real rush. It's just the impulse buy kicking in when something nice comes along. It'll pass by tomorrow :)

Soldato
Yeah. The mileage is the only negative for me. The spec is great and I'm not sure how many like this will come along but I'm in no real rush. It's just the impulse buy kicking in when something nice comes along. It'll pass by tomorrow :)

BMW's are fairly common! You are likely to see the spec you want coming up again (unless you are crazy like I was and are looking for a manual, as they are much more rare).

Soldato
Does anyone have any idea how much I should be looking at for a Brake Fluid change on a 2015 420d coupe?

Sytner want £148.45!

The lady did try checking the price outside of the 3 year warranty, but couldn't get onto the systems or something.

I've spotted Marshall offering £79 (https://www.marshall.co.uk/bmw/aftersales-offers/brake-fluid/) but there isn't a dealer near me.

EDIT:

Just spotted this

YOUR ESTIMATE:
Brake fluid service
£93
Standard scope
£27
Total: £120

On the online service booking system for the same dealership.

£150 for a brake fluid change? What a joke.

They used to charge about £70-80, whilst independent garages will charge around £40.

EDIT: Just looking at BMW's service website https://www.bmw-service.co.uk shows that it should only be £71 (+standard "money for old" scope of £19)

Last edited:
Soldato
BMW's are fairly common! You are likely to see the spec you want coming up again (unless you are crazy like I was and are looking for a manual, as they are much more rare).

The only reason this one appeals despite the mileage is that it's got every option bar the larger wheels. It's like someone went into a tick frenzy when they spec'd it up!

Soldato
The problem you'll have with a higher mileage car is moving it on again (albeit in line with the market) - unless you cover next to no miles and will keep it forever you need to be prepared to lose a significant chunk on it over a few years.

On that specific car (assume it is not being sold through BMW) you will need to pay a significantly higher monthly premium to give it a BMW backed warranty than a 60k car. It's worth looking at how much extra a car with less miles will be even including warranty over a couple of years against the car you've found and its equivalent monthly premium

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem you'll have with a higher mileage car is moving it on again (albeit in line with the market) - unless you cover next to no miles and will keep it forever you need to be prepared to lose a significant chunk on it over a few years.

On that specific car (assume it is not being sold through BMW) you will need to pay a significantly higher monthly premium to give it a BMW backed warranty than a 60k car. It's worth looking at how much extra a car with less miles will be even including warranty over a couple of years against the car you've found and its equivalent monthly premium

Yeah, I have been looking and mileage does seem to kill resale price. My original criteria was no more than 50K so I think I'll go back to that thinking.

Back
Top Bottom