• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should i pre order 2080 ti or get a 1080 ti ?

Associate
Hi all im gonna upgrade some of my PC parts, right now i have

Asus maximus viii hero upgrade to (Rog Maximus X Formula)
I7 6700K upgrade to (I7 8086K OR I7 9900K when release)
32gb ram 3000mhz
850 psu
Asus GTX 980 upgrade to (1080 ti or 2080 ti)
Zalman H1 Pc Case

So should i get a 1080 ti or 2080 ti ?

Also i have seen 2 Asus cards 2080 ti on overclockers page 1 with dual fans and another with 3 fans whats the difference with each card ? why so exspensive they need to lower card with 3 fans

Soldato
Well don't pre-order... that's daft. Wait until reviews and benchmarks reveal the performance. It may be that the 1080Ti ends up being insanely good value, depending how much or little performance the 2080Ti delivers on top. No doubt it will be a beast of a card, but there's a chance it might just bdreadful value for what you're getting... and buying it for ray tracing when there's no ray tracing content is nuts. By the time any games are really taking advantage of RTX properly (and at acceptable frame rates), the cards will probably be cheaper! What monitor do you plan on using?

Soldato
Dont listen to Las Vega as he's fanboying hard for the 2080/2080ti at the moment.

The sensible person waits a few weeks for the reviews and performance data rather than listening to 1 persons belief and speculation based on zero reliable sources

Caporegime
Wait for reviews is the simple answer. As for why there are 3 fans on some and 2 on others, it is mostly about aesthetics and they should all do a fairly decent job of keeping the card cool but again, wait for reviews and then decide what way to go.

Soldato

Asus maximus viii hero upgrade to (Rog Maximus X Formula)
I7 6700K upgrade to (I7 8086K OR I7 9900K when release)
32gb ram 3000mhz
850 psu
Asus GTX 980 upgrade to (1080 ti or 2080 ti)
Zalman H1 Pc Case

So should i get a 1080 ti or 2080 ti ?

Also i have seen 2 Asus cards 2080 ti on overclockers page 1 with dual fans and another with 3 fans whats the difference with each card ? why so exspensive they need to lower card with 3 fans

Just preorder the 2080 Ti you will need it for RTX in BFV and of course it will be faster than the 1080 Ti even when benchmarks haven't been released.

I suppose this all depends on how much disposable income you have.

Reason why some buy a Ferrari.

If you can't wait then the 1080 Ti is excellent.

Soldato
if you have the budget and you are expecting to game at 4K max settings i would wait for the 2080ti benchmarks. There is likely to be at least a 30% increase in performance at the resolution so certainly worth it if you do not already have a 1080ti.

I already have a 1080ti and i cant justify the cost of selling it and then paying the difference for the 2080ti but if i didnt have one id just keep on saving and then get the 2080ti instead.

Like ive said and so many others will though, wait for reviews and benchmarks.

Man of Honour
and of course it will be faster than the 1080 Ti even when benchmarks haven't been released.
How can you possibly know that? What you say is very likely to be correct. But no-one outside of people with an NDA can possibly confirm it as a fact at all.

The sensible approach is to wait for benchmarks unless there is another strong incentive to pre-order (such as limited availability or price reductions).

Soldato

Stop buying Asus GPUs, overpriced isnt even close... There's a reason people call it Asus Tax.

Soldato
The best CPU your current board will take is a 7700k, different chipset for the I7 8086K OR I7 9900

Probably why he says upgrade to MAXIMUS X FORMULA next to the current board ey... ;)

I'd wait for 9900k, its not far off and the 8086 is just a good bin 8700k which isnt a mile over your 6700k in older titles.

Soldato
How can you possibly know that? What you say is very likely to be correct. But no-one outside of people with an NDA can possibly confirm it as a fact at all.

The sensible approach is to wait for benchmarks unless there is another strong incentive to pre-order (such as limited availability or price reductions).
The 2080ti will obviously be faster than the 1080ti when rendering normally - I don't think anyone has tried to say it won't be.

The main points people have contention with are;

- how much faster it will be (the reason people want to see official benchmarks)
- the cost
- RT seems prohibitively expensive to render

Associate
Firstly.. never listen to *Anyone* that harps on about hardware they themselves have just purchased, it is human nature for people to seek praise and approval from others to galvanise their own buying decisions.

Always wait for reviews, you are losing *Nothing* by waiting a few days, absolutely nothing, other than a non existent badge that says *i bought it first*. The cards themselves wont magically change after the launch day to something else, they will still be the same cards, wait it out, read multiple reviews from multiple sites, do not rely on just one review, many sites are paid or incentivized to offer reviews showing products in a good light.

Wait for user reviews, as above some users will be biased due to needing to have approval to justify their own purchase, especially when it is an expensive purchase. Many of us have bought something that we thought was great and has turned out to be bad and we look for redeeming qualities in the product to justify our purchase, this again is human nature.

As i say, you lose nothing by waiting, and infact unless you are going to Watercool the card, it is best to wait for aftermarket cooled options to be available, not sure if they are releasing on day 1 withe these new Nvidia cards though as in all honesty ive paid pretty much zero attention to them since the reveal the other week. However reviews of FE cards should be a good indication of how much better 3rd party cooled ones will be.

Check post history of some members of these forums who will proclaim these cards as the next coming of the lord, you will find they are invested in the brand and are brand champions, as above, these people have a skewed and clouded opinion of a company they are invested into, often long term.

Independent reviews from websites and non biased users is your best bet if your going to lay out £1200 or something on a GPU in my opinion.

But this is my opinion and may not be worth much to you or anyone else.

Associate
Firstly.. never listen to *Anyone* that harps on about hardware they themselves have just purchased,

TBH I see it both ways - why should I listen to someone who vehemently against buying one either? :)

But don't listen to me, I've preordered one :D

Seriously though, I've paid nothing and I have no risk if the reviews all say 'piece of crud' - simply cancel, or return. Job done.

The true message is - decide for yourself. Everything we're buying for gaming is a waste of money - period. Your life will continue without it. There is no need. Now *Want* is a different thing entirely and your ability to fulfil that want is entirely your own. Weigh up what you want and what you can afford. However in this case I would be worried that 1080ti prices are likely to drop in a few weeks (and also you'll probably be able to pick up some second hand bargains from idiots like me who've gone for a 2080ti and are dumping old cards). YMMV, totally fine with that.

Back
Top Bottom