Racist! Really?

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45479954

I certainly don't think it is racist. It's funny that's all.

The world has gone mad! It's just a funny cartoon!

Pretty close to the old 50's Sambo style drawings though isn't it? I mean he restrained himself a bit in that she doesn't have a bone through her nose or a necklace of shrunken heads but given the history it's pretty insensitive. I'm all for lampooning Williams' poor behaviour but the drawing is in very bad taste.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Pretty close to the old 50's Sambo style drawings though isn't it? I mean he restrained himself a bit in that she doesn't have a bone through her nose or a necklace of shrunken heads but given the history it's pretty insensitive. I'm all for lampooning Williams' poor behaviour but the drawing is in very bad taste.

I'll be honest, I don't know what the 'Sambo cartoons' are. Other than the lips, I really don't see anything else wrong with the drawing of her? I'm willing to learn but as far as I can tell, it looks pretty accurate.

Capodecina
Soldato
Serena Williams completely lost the plot on Saturday; quite possibly because she was losing to a 20 year old. She made matters worse by putting the Umpire's decisions down to sexism - at her age and with her experience she really should have more sense.

Maybe Osaka should have shown more respect for her elders and just let the ageing Williams win - Oh, dear God, is that ageist? ;)

It isn't possible to judge whether or not the cartoon is in any way racist without seeing it. By all accounts Osaka was "whitened" and Williams was "exaggerated" but at the end of the day it is a cartoon.

Soldato
I'll be honest, I don't know what the 'Sambo cartoons' are. Other than the lips, I really don't see anything else wrong with the drawing of her? I'm willing to learn but as far as I can tell, it looks pretty accurate.

I'd post some links but I'm on a work laptop and don't need that kind of heat :D. Effectively it was an art style from the 50's that exaggerated features like large lips darker skin tones, top knots, larger limbs etc. None of that is strictly speaking an issue, it's similar to the pictures you might get done at the seaside, however the style was generally used to depict black people as uneducated figures of fun or savages and it's those connotations that cause the issue. Think golliwogs or the crows from Disney's Dumbo.

Soldato
I'd post some links but I'm on a work laptop and don't need that kind of heat :D. Effectively it was an art style from the 50's that exaggerated features like large lips darker skin tones, top knots, larger limbs etc. None of that is strictly speaking an issue, it's similar to the pictures you might get done at the seaside, however the style was generally used to depict black people as uneducated figures of fun or savages and it's those connotations that cause the issue. Think golliwogs or the crows from Disney's Dumbo.

you are describing how serena williams looks... she had a top knot and she is huge. most powerful women i have ever seen on a sports field.

Caporegime
Plus, the fact he’s depicting Osaka as a white, blond haired girl when she’s black with mostly black hair makes me believe either that he doesn’t even know who she is or he is pandering to a kind of white supremacist belief that the innocent and pious person in this incident must a white person.

Soldato
Plus, the fact he’s depicting a Osaka as a white, blond haired girl when she’s black with mostly black hair makes me believe either that he doesn’t even know who she is or he is pandering to a kind of white supremacist belief that the innocent and pious person in this incident must a white person.

I actually thought the cartoon was quite funny, but I think your right - portraying Osaka as a white blonde is a bit weird...

Then again, the cartoonist is Australian, and they generally don't give a **** :D

Soldato
Another 'world has gone mad' thread. Does a tweet from an author on their opinion of a cartoon depicting a sporting event really even thread worthy? :rolleyes:

TBH i think Ramos docking a game in a Grand Slam final for a playing arguing against the umpiring is stupid. I wouldn't say it happened because she is a woman, i am surprised it even happened at all given it was a huge match. He is a proper stickler for the rules and may be a celebrated umpire but his hardline umpiring can often be to the detriment of the game, sometimes picking awkward times to give warnings when players are on on a knife edge mentality wise.

As I recall he failed to dock Nadal last year after he argued back for poor umpiring about the slow play warnings during one of the earlier french open matches. A lot of top players have been fairly critical of his umpiring, saying that he does it to be 'the star of the show' and is inconsistent with how harsh he is. It isn't hard to see why she went off on a rant thinking he had something against her.

Soldato
you are describing how serena williams looks... she had a top knot and she is huge. most powerful women i have ever seen on a sports field.

Come now, can you really look at the cartoon in the OP and tell me that those features haven't been exaggerated in a way that resembles the old 50's cartoons that are now widely considered as racist?

If the answer is yes then that's okay, we'll just agree to disagree.

Another 'world has gone mad' thread. Does a tweet from a child author on their opinion of a cartoon depicting a sporting event really even thread worthy? :rolleyes:

TBH i think Ramos docking a game in a Grand Slam final for a playing arguing against the umpiring is stupid. I wouldn't say it happened because she is a woman, i am surprised it even happened at all given it was a huge match. He is a proper stickler for the rules and may be a celebrated umpire but his hardline umpiring can often be to the detriment of the game, sometimes picking awkward times to give warnings when players are on on a knife edge mentality wise.

As I recall he failed to dock Nadal last year after he argued back for poor umpiring about the slow play warnings during one of the earlier french open matches. A lot of top players have been fairly critical of his umpiring, saying that he does it to be 'the star of the show' and is inconsistent with how harsh he is. It isn't hard to see why she went off on a rant thinking he had something against her.

There's definitely a case to be answered in terms of the consistency of umpiring in tennis, not just in this game but across the board. I agree though I'm not sure that it's down to sexism. The issue with this tournament is that you've had the swapping incident and the Nick Kyrgios coaching incident in a relatively short period before this, it kind of heightens things.

Caporegime
Another 'world has gone mad' thread. Does a tweet from a child author on their opinion of a cartoon depicting a sporting event really even thread worthy? :rolleyes:

As I recall he failed to dock Nadal last year after he argued back for poor umpiring about the slow play warnings during one of the earlier french open matches. A lot of top players have been fairly critical of his umpiring, saying that he does it to be 'the star of the show' and is inconsistent with how harsh he is.
JK Rowling is a child! Who knew :eek:

Soldato
Don't caricaturists usually over-exaggerate features? Isn't that the defining characteristic of the style?
Got a big nose? It'll be even bigger in your caricature. Same goes for ears, lips, whatever.

Also, this quote: "overexaggerated body parts to depict Serena as hyper masculine" is apparently a racist stereotype too. Ok, let's just ignore that she is pretty masculine to the point where many genuinely think she's a man.
Her body parts are over-exaggerated in reality. The cartoon wasn't even that far off in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom