Associate
HI there, im fairly new to computer building (3 to 4 years of it) and my cousins friend just bought a cheap desktop setup on eBay, (case,Mobo,CPU,RAM, Built in graphics) and wants to do some gaming on it, hes TV is only 720p and this is what iv gone with as advice for him on buying as an upgrade (which i will be fitting for him),:

CPU : stays the same as bought @stock as he has no premium cooler
(LGA1155 Intel core i5 2400 sandybridge)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz
Graphics card: GTX 1050 2GB.
PSU: 750 wattage (I dont recognise the brand and a bit unsure about it, but in a rush he bough it already
-_-, Bronze certificate)

what do you guys and girls think?

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
I think that those images don't exist anymore, or at least can't be accessed by anyone but you.

PSU: 750 wattage (I dont recognise the brand and a bit unsure about it, but in a rush he bough it already
-_-, Bronze certificate)
If also that was bought from eBay it's like BS(U) maybe good for 250W with luck.

Associate
OP
I think that those images don't exist anymore, or at least can't be accessed by anyone but you.

If also that was bought from eBay it's like BS(U) maybe good for 250W with luck.
thanks for the reply :) yeah i thought it was a bit dodgy :/ ill try to convince them to get another one , in reality it only needs 650watts ish for a build like that? so ill have a quick look at some corsair or super flower PSU's now, can you recommend any other makes? as im only really going corsair and super flower by word and from using them myself, trying to look for a modular or semi modular because my cable management is terrible as it is let alone using a non modular PSU,
thanks again :)

Man of Honour
A build like that will run off a quality 350w psu and still have plenty of headroom to spare. I doubt if that system would pull more than 150w at the wall, probably not even that much. In the up to 500w category on here there is nothing I would feel happy about using below £55 so shop around and see if there are and deals on a good 300-450w psu anywhere. Look at the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold series, Antecs Earthwatts gold Pro series, Bitfenix Formula series although a lot of these start at 450-550w and over. If looking at Corsairs cheaper units such as the CX, CX-M and TX-M make sure it's the new versions with the white label. Avoid the awful VS series like the plague.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A build like that will run off a quality 350w psu and still have plenty of headroom to spare. I doubt if that system would pull more than 150w at the wall, probably not even that much. In the up to 500w category on here there is nothing I would feel happy about using below £55 so shop around and see if there are and deals on a good 300-450w psu anywhere.
ok, thank you for the estimates on power draw :), ill have a look around then, just though if he did want to overclock or upgrade in future it would be a good option, :)
thanks for reply.

Soldato
Associate
OP
wow. just seen riotoro Enigma 650w for £66... damn

formula 450w is the lowest good tier 2 unit we tend to quote on here and dont like pushing lower in quality
enigma is Focus unit re-badged by former corsair staff - good saving ..

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £164.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)
Found this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...old-fully-modular-power-supply-bg-091-sv.html

as he's on a proper tight budget, just spoke to him and he will have to save for this one,

b-grade-silverstone-sfx-l-500w-80-plus-gold-fully-modular-power-supply-bg-091-sv.html

Soldato
Found this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...old-fully-modular-power-supply-bg-091-sv.html

as he's on a proper tight budget, just spoke to him and he will have to save for this one,

b-grade-silverstone-sfx-l-500w-80-plus-gold-fully-modular-power-supply-bg-091-sv.html

does it have to be SFX psu sorry ?

would avoid B-Grade - you'll get no warranty in theory after 60/90 days expires with OCUK . you'd have to go through with silverstone and know idea if they would accept rma and how you go about it

kolink SFX did get a good review form a German reviewer , if you need to save cash and costs

CODE
Total: £50.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

English review

https://play3r.net/reviews/psus/kolink-sfx-450w-power-supply-review/

German with ripple testing

https://translate.google.com/transl.../Kolink_SFX_450_Test_Review-37078&prev=search

their budget ATX PSU are viewed highly on here but their flagships are, and SFX unit are pretty good​

Associate
OP
does it have to be SFX psu sorry ?

would avoid B-Grade - you'll get no warranty in theory after 60/90 days expires with OCUK . you'd have to go through with silverstone and know idea if they would accept rma and how you go about it

kolink SFX did get a good review form a German reviewer , if you need to save cash and costs

CODE
Total: £50.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

English review

https://play3r.net/reviews/psus/kolink-sfx-450w-power-supply-review/

German with ripple testing

https://translate.google.com/transl.../Kolink_SFX_450_Test_Review-37078&prev=search

their budget ATX PSU are viewed highly on here but their flagships are, and SFX unit are pretty good​
thank you :) nah doesent have to be a SFX , it was just he wanted to do it as quick as possible, i tried trelling him you cant rush these computer building things, but he says he has like a tenner anyway, so i said save 50 to 60 quid and ill look again when he has the money :)

Soldato
thank you :) nah doesent have to be a SFX , it was just he wanted to do it as quick as possible, i tried trelling him you cant rush these computer building things, but he says he has like a tenner anyway, so i said save 50 to 60 quid and ill look again when he has the money :)

An SFX psu won't fit in a standard ATX case without an adapter bracket as it is a different size.

Back
Top Bottom