• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Tried pre ordering through very, to pay over 3 months..which seemed more hassle than it’s worth. (New customers get 20% off apparently, but for iPhone it’s only 10%. Hardly worth it)

So I’ll pop into a store on release day and grab one outright. I’m confident there will be stock. :)

Associate
I went for silver this time round, haven't had anything but space grey/black since the 3GS! The gold looks a little rosey for me... it'll end up in another Pitaka Aramid case anyway since that was the best thing I found for my 7 Plus in terms of being super thin yet strong.

Have you tried the Pitaka case with a tempered glass screen protector? I’ve found that a lot of cases aren’t compatible in the past? Is there anywhere to purchase from the UK? cheers. Ad

Associate
Tried pre ordering through very, to pay over 3 months..which seemed more hassle than it’s worth. (New customers get 20% off apparently, but for iPhone it’s only 10%. Hardly worth it)

So I’ll pop into a store on release day and grab one outright. I’m confident there will be stock. :)

I dunno 10% off for not much effort is pretty good IMO. Brings an XS 64GB down from 999 to 899.

Soldato
Have you tried the Pitaka case with a tempered glass screen protector? I’ve found that a lot of cases aren’t compatible in the past? Is there anywhere to purchase from the UK? cheers. Ad

I got mine off Amazon. I've never used a screen protector - the case does include a glass one so it should be compatible with at least some of them.

Soldato
Silver XS256 on its way from Apple.

I assume my X case will fit?

Yes, was looking at official XS cases earlier on Apple. The cases are now defined as 'XS/X' and 'XS Max'.

Ordered my XS 256GB space grey from EE today. I am due for an upgrade and found a better deal at Vodafone for my usage so rang to request a PAC code, retentions sorted me a deal which is marginally better than Vodafone, I'm happy (also liked EE coverage and speed).

Associate

Wouldn’t say it’s hassle you sign up and apply the code and they’ll credit your account in 30 days.

It’s 10% for electrical and 20% for anything else, but you could be lucky and get 20%.

I did it two years ago with my phone prior to the iPhone 7 but ended up getting a 45% discount because they cocked up. Basically they applied the discount twice.
They did notice like a year later and try to repossess that money back, but I got it back after a few phone calls...and closed account.

How I wish I could get a 45% discount on my XS I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

I closed my account a year ago so I’m hoping I could qualify as a “new” customer, but I think I’d only bite if I could get 20% off.

Soldato
I hastily signed up and didn’t really know what I was doing. The credit limit they gave me wouldn’t have covered the phone anyway.

I luckily have the funds at the moment to buy outright so I’m just gonna do that. Gives me a chance to check the screen out etc in store before I take it home.

I’ll get 20% off anyway as no vat. So that’ll be a little saving.

Edit 45% would have been excellent :p

Associate
I hastily signed up and didn’t really know what I was doing. The credit limit they gave me wouldn’t have covered the phone anyway.

I luckily have the funds at the moment to buy outright so I’m just gonna do that. Gives me a chance to check the screen out etc in store before I take it home.

I’ll get 20% off anyway as no vat. So that’ll be a little saving.

Edit 45% would have been excellent :p
I mean you could always pay the difference between your credit limit and the price. I too got a low credit limit when I signed up, ended up topping my account up with funds so the balance was the price of the phone.

Could still get your 10% off.

But if you can avoid the VAT and get instore more power to you!

Soldato
I’m in 2 minds, whilst I’m very happy with my ip7+, it does everything I want I do tend to change every 2 years or so.

I’m tempted to go for a ipXs MAX 64gb, plenty enough storage for me I’ve only used a quarter of my 128gb on my 7+.

Just waiting to see what O2 refresh deals there are. Ideally I’ll pay for half the phone upfront minimum (funds from the ip7+ helps soften the blow). Then spread the rest over monthly pay.

Hey! What? Are you me?!? Apart from the O2 refresh stuff I’m exactly the same. I’ve pre-ordered the 64Gb XS Max due to arrive about the beginning of October.

Caporegime
I wonder how much market share iPhone would have to drop to before Apple start lowering the prices. Are they going to stick with the same mentality as they have with the computers and put up with just 7%?

EDIT: Saying that, they only have 12% this year anyway. All of my family have now abandoned iPhone for cheaper Chinese android phones.

Soldato
I wonder how much market share iPhone would have to drop to before Apple start lowering the prices. Are they going to stick with the same mentality as they have with the computers and put up with just 7%?

EDIT: Saying that, they only have 12% this year anyway. All of my family have now abandoned iPhone for cheaper Chinese android phones.
I think they are well over 15% at the moment based on number of units. If you base it on value then they are over 50%

Soldato

Market share is meaningless when you take 90% of the profits from the entire market. The market has grown faster than Apples overall unit shipments (particularly due to emerging markets), but in their core markets like the USA and Europe iPhone is closer to 50%.

Their core market is people with disposable income. What drives the demand from the young people these days, they see their favorite celebrity posting on Instagram with an iPhone, they must have one. It is as much a status symbol as it is about having the best phone, its no different to cars. How many people rent the latest car they cant afford to buy to keep up with the Jones'? Back in the day it was all about BBM with 'the kids', now its iPhone.

They will not compete with cheap $200 phones at the low end which is where the majority of the volume is and there is exactly $0 to be made trying to put cheap phones in the hands of people in India/China etc.

It's no different to the PC market, all the volume is in £300-£400 units, so Apple miss out on a huge portion of the 'market' but they take most the profit from the high end.

Its a very clever place they have positioned their brand, all the other brands aspire to replicate it but fail miserably most of the time (MS, Samsung, HTC etc.). I think if Google cut out all the 3rd parties and pulled together a consistent quality offering for a few generations they could start eroding some of Apples profits but it would take some serious effort and risk.

Soldato
I don't think MS or HTC have anything as expensive as the ihpone offerings do they?
Even Samsung seem to be hundreds of pounds cheaper now, for tech that seems to be as advanced or potentially better in some cases.

Back
Top Bottom