• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silly to buy a 1080ti now??

Associate
Think I'll maybe order one myself over the weekend, been playing a few more games recently and currently only have an HD6870 so it's long overdue an upgrade. I realise folks have said wait for benchmarks for the new series but I can't see it affecting me too much as either card will be a huge upgrade for me.

Soldato
Think I'll maybe order one myself over the weekend, been playing a few more games recently and currently only have an HD6870 so it's long overdue an upgrade. I realise folks have said wait for benchmarks for the new series but I can't see it affecting me too much as either card will be a huge upgrade for me.

In your situation I’d be getting the 1080ti, I assume you’re not gaming on 4K!

It’ll be a monster upgrade, about half the price of the 2080ti. At anything under UW 1440p and under, it’s an absolute destroyer.

Associate
In your situation I’d be getting the 1080ti, I assume you’re not gaming on 4K!

It’ll be a monster upgrade, about half the price of the 2080ti. At anything under UW 1440p and under, it’s an absolute destroyer.

You're right, don't have 4k. I've a 1440p screen which I had got a while ago for using with Lightroom and Photoshop so think the 1080Ti would be ideal for another few years.

Soldato
I think at 1440 and below the 1080ti will be good for at least another 3-4 years.

If 4k gaming or rtx is your thing then the 2xxx series is pretty epic.

Personally I'm going no where near 4k for at least 5 years. And RTX is too immature for me yet. Great that it's out though.

Soldato
MB is updated with custom BIOS to support window boot from PCIe NVMe with UEFI mode. :D CPU is 6 core Sandy Bridge E over locked to 4.8GHz and PSU is 1000 Watt.
Hopefully everything goes as planned for this big upgrade. :)

What volts do you need for that 4.8 buddy?

1.375 plus LLC on the middle setting gets me 4.6 but I was thinking of pushing it some more. You using the bolts4breakfast bios?

Soldato
You're right, don't have 4k. I've a 1440p screen which I had got a while ago for using with Lightroom and Photoshop so think the 1080Ti would be ideal for another few years.

Didn’t mean to put the exclamation mark, made my post look weird :p

Great choice mate, hope you really enjoy it.

I’m very tempted myself, but I want to get a new monitor at the same time and nothing quite tickles my fancy yet. At 1200p I cant justify an upgrade on my 980 yet. I used to run SLI so I want something that creams 2x980..

Associate
What volts do you need for that 4.8 buddy?

1.375 plus LLC on the middle setting gets me 4.6 but I was thinking of pushing it some more. You using the bolts4breakfast bios?
If I remember correctly core voltage is 1.4
I followed these steps:

That video is very old from 2011 :D

Last edited:
Associate
Very happy for you man. Underwater with a nice OC, it'll be a hell of a card. What are you coming from?
Played with 1080ti over the weekend absolutely Beast , coming from 680 difference is day and night. It was running around 70°C under the load after installing water block is not going over 55°C after an hour Heaven bench running , already OC to 2Ghz.
Very happy with my purchase. :p

Soldato
Played with 1080ti over the weekend absolutely Beast , coming from 680 difference is day and night. It was running around 70°C under the load after installing water block is not going over 55°C after an hour Heaven bench running , already OC to 2Ghz.
Very happy with my purchase. :p

Crikey, that’s a serious performance jump. That’s one of the reasons I love this hobby so much; I bet you were grinning like a loony when it was up and running :D

I don’t do watercooling, I’m too lazy for it these days. But if you have a full system running, it’s fantastic to drop in a new component and remind yourself of the massive difference a full loop makes.

Associate
Nice one, I made the jump from a 680 to 1080ti too. You know the 680 was starting to show it’s age when you don’t have enough VRAM to even play modern games at full screen size. That aside, the 680 has genuinely been a 5 year card.

Soldato
We need the South Koreans to bring out a graphics card and shake up the market like they did with TV's/monitors..

TV's are mass market consumer goods gfx cards are a niche market at best. Can't see anyone jumping into the market this late in the game. Especially as its perfectly obvious that everyone is only interested in one performer.

Soldato
not to mention not every game is the same, my 1070 cannot maintain 60fps in FF15 on 1080p. This is with many of the settings only on medium/average as well. With everything set high textures want double figures of gigs of memory allocation, and framerates drop to below 20 in places. All at 1080p.

Associate
I wonder if an i7 would help this or just a gfx upgrade? Thirsty game by the sound of it!

not to mention not every game is the same, my 1070 cannot maintain 60fps in FF15 on 1080p. This is with many of the settings only on medium/average as well. With everything set high textures want double figures of gigs of memory allocation, and framerates drop to below 20 in places. All at 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom