• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RTX 2080 pre-order thread

OcUK Staff
Be good to know from others tomorrow if people start to get their cards from OCUK. I pre-ordered on the 20/08 (ish) when my Gigabyte Windoforce 2080Ti had an ETA of 20/09 - the ETA has since been removed so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it arrives. I know Nvidia announced 2080Ti where pushed back but I haven't seen anything saying this also relates to AIB cards?

We shipped a few hundred 2080's today for delivery tomorrow, so I am sure a few shall be forum members.
We also have Asus, Gigabyte, Palit, Inno3D and Zotac all in stock, so place an order, it will now be with you for Friday.

Associate
We shipped a few hundred 2080's today for delivery tomorrow, so I am sure a few shall be forum members.
We also have Asus, Gigabyte, Palit, Inno3D and Zotac all in stock, so place an order, it will now be with you for Friday.

Thanks for this! Where any of those Ti variants or are they mainly still TBC ETA? I see the only Ti in stock is the Zotac @ £1,399 :eek:

Associate
hang on so ppl who received their 2080s cannot use the card yet coz theres no drivers? or is it they cannot use the RTX function?

also we should see the benchmarks soon right?

Permabanned
Hypothetically, I'm picturing a room of a few hundred people... that's a lot of people... all watching the 2080 reviews together and unnanimously nodding their heads, happy to go ahead with their purchase. This is a surreal and almost unimaginable scenario, yet here we are. Oh well. :rolleyes:

May I ask what's surreal about it? Maybe they were Vega 64 / 1080 owners excited about the prospect of a 40% performance gain alongside a new architecture with potential for great things to come...

Soldato
May I ask what's surreal about it? Maybe they were Vega 64 / 1080 owners excited about the prospect of a 40% performance gain alongside a new architecture with potential for great things to come...

I didn't exactly picture a Vega 64/1080 rally, but even then, the 1080Ti is still far better value than the 2080. Pretty much every review (which I said this hypothetical crowd would be watching en masse by the way) came to the same conclusion. That "potential" you speak of is pure pie in the sky hope right now, with no arrival date. By the time it materialises (and I'm sure it will) either prices may have dropped or new cards could even be on the horizon. That 'hope' alone is an absolute daft reason to buy one today, it really is utter insanity unless your specific circumstances indicate otherwise. As and WHEN there is actual benefit to RTX features, I'll be the first in line. I'd love to think that could be soon, but the truth is we just don't know.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I didn't exactly picture a Vega 64/1080 rally, but even then, the 1080Ti is still far better value... and that "potential" is pure pie in the sky hope right now. By the time it materialises either prices may have dropped or new cards could even be on the horizon. That alone is an absolute daft reason to buy one.

Then what did you picture because its certainly not 1080ti owners buying the 2080.

40% perf gain is still 40%. I think that's a very tempting prospect for any Vega/1080 owner.

As for the price a £130 premium is not ideal but it's worth it paying, otherwise you find yourself in a "cut your nose off to spite your face" situation.

I do think you are underestimating the potential of DLSS. As TinyTomLogan of OC3D said, it could be a game changer. And atleast 20 triple A games are getting it by the end of the year.

Soldato
Then what did you picture because its certainly not 1080ti owners buying the 2080.

40% is still 40%. I think that's a very tempting prospect for any Vega/1080 owner.

As for the price a £130 premium is not ideal but it's worth it paying, otherwise you find yourself in a "cut your nose off to spite your face" situation.

I do think you are underestimating the potential of DLSS. As TinyTomLogan of OC3D said, it could be a game changer. And atleasat 20 triple A games are getting it by the end of the year.

I agree with Tom, but "could be" is the operative phrase there! The obvious point is that none of these features are available yet, reviewers can't even test them! How long till they're in games? Weeks? Very unlikely. Months... at least that. How many games? The ones that YOU want to play? Who knows? So what's the GPU doing in your system until then? A 2080 is doing a virtually identical job to a 1080Ti... only for more money. A 2080Ti is fast as hell, but at anything less than 4K it's 100% overkill with no ability to utilise what it was primarily designed to do with its RTX features.

Obviously this is going to be situation dependent and if the individual absolutely NEEDS a new GPU in their system today, and what their budget is. Many people are going to find themselves better off just waiting, unless that desperate need is there.

You don't know for sure x20 AAA games will get RTX features within a few months and how effective their application of it will be. Heck, we don't know ANYTHING other than what Jensen has told us! It's a big black hole of information regards what RTX will actually bring to the table, other than the pretty visuals we've seen... but at what cost to FPS they may have is another question. DLSS sounds great, but again, more questions than answers at present.

Back
Top Bottom