Leaving work - recalling wages

Associate
Thanks all. So the general rule is that pay can be recalled on the same day I assume.

Yep - we seem to do it every year when some fool resigns on payday when the annual bonuses are paid out (normally 25th Feb), without realising that they are not contractually entitled to it unless they are in the company's employment AND not working their notice, on the last day of Feb - guess they can't wait a few days

Caporegime
Is she upset by either of those things? There's no mention of her being upset by either of those things. There's no mention of her being upset at all.

The issue was explictly stated in the OP. It was the whole point of the OP. It was the question in the OP. The issue, which we have no idea of her reaction to, was the recall from her bank account of money already paid into it. That's unusual enough for it to be worth mentioning to a friend. People mention many things to their friends. Do you only moan to your friends? If not, why do you assume that other people do?

Or someone who doesn't make unsupported conclusions without any relevant evidence about someone they know nothing about.

You have no knowledge of her or of her reaction, so you must be making an assumption based on something. If it's not based on yourself, i.e. how you think you would react in her position, then what is it based on?
well turns out my conclusions seem to have been fairly accurate since we now learnt "she is raging"

It's called wisdom and experience btw, comes with age

Man of Honour
Are you having an off day or something angillion? You seem to be having some kind of purely litteral meltdown here.

Your right no one said she's upset but it's a pretty valid word choice for the situation. I doubt shes jubilant

A bunch of people are making stuff up about someone they know nothing about purely to deride them. They have no evidence whatsoever to support what they're claiming that person is doing, saying, thinking and feeling. They're just making it up.

You may regard any objection to that sort of thing as "some kind of purely litteral meltdown". I regard it as reasonable behaviour.

Man of Honour
well turns out my conclusions seem to have been fairly accurate since we now learnt "she is raging"

It's called wisdom and experience btw, comes with age

Making things up as an excuse to deride people is not wisdom. Sometimes being right after the fact doesn't change that. As the saying goes, even a blind pig finds a truffle sometimes.

I used to jump to unsupported conclusions more often when I was younger. Perhaps you'll gain more wisdom and experience with age, as I did.

Soldato
As the saying goes, even a blind pig finds a truffle sometimes.

Never heard that one, and it makes no sense, pigs find truffles by smell, not sight, so whether it was blind or not would have no impact on its ability to find truffles. Are you sure you aren't thinking of "even a stopped clock is right twice a day"?

Edit: come to think of it, truffles grow underground, so even a sighted pig would have to rely on smell, unless it has x-ray eyes. Perhaps the saying should be "even a pig without x-ray eyes finds a truffle sometimes."?

Soldato
Even if they paid it, they are well within their right to ask for it back. If you don't give it back they can take you to court and will win. It's normally pretty clear cut, even if its a mistake.

Man of Honour
we know enough to never give them a job :D

That's true. 8 hours notice is not on.

Never heard that one, and it makes no sense, pigs find truffles by smell, not sight, so whether it was blind or not would have no impact on its ability to find truffles. Are you sure you aren't thinking of "even a stopped clock is right twice a day"?

Edit: come to think of it, truffles grow underground, so even a sighted pig would have to rely on smell, unless it has x-ray eyes. Perhaps the saying should be "even a pig without x-ray eyes finds a truffle sometimes."?

You're right, it doesn't make any sense. But it is a saying. You can search online and find references to it. Maybe in the past people didn't understand how pigs found truffles or how sight works and thought pigs had some kind of special eyesight that detected the aura of truffles or something.

Caporegime
A bunch of people are making stuff up about someone they know nothing about purely to deride them. They have no evidence whatsoever to support what they're claiming that person is doing, saying, thinking and feeling. They're just making it up.

You may regard any objection to that sort of thing as "some kind of purely litteral meltdown". I regard it as reasonable behaviour.

But using the word upset though I wasn't making anything up was i?

I'm not even sure how I could have even phrased that sentence without the word upset that wasn't huge.

You read it purely litterally, nd seemed to equate making entirely reasonable assumptions (that a person was unhappy with having money withdrawn) with making things up

Associate
Let’s hope her new job doesn’t require a glowing reference from her previous employer. Unless she has had a bad relationship with her previous employer for whatever reason that’s still unprofessional. Sometimes it’s also useful to read your contract of employment before taking radical action lol.

Soldato
Thanks all. So the general rule is that pay can be recalled on the same day I assume. My friend is raging tbh but I told her that this is what she gets for pulling a sly move and not working her full notice. I could never do this, I would feel so guilty :(
Why is she raging ?

I guess she was hoping to get one over on them, and instead got owned ?

Someone else correct me if I am wrong here, I was under the impression that if someone doesn't work their notice period the employer is within their rights to withhold pay if they so wish ?

Soldato
OP
Why is she raging ?

I guess she was hoping to get one over on them, and instead got owned ?

Someone else correct me if I am wrong here, I was under the impression that if someone doesn't work their notice period the employer is within their rights to withhold pay if they so wish ?

The 'issue' for my friend is that they recalled the wages which she didn't know they could do.

Man of Honour
The 'issue' for my friend is that they recalled the wages which she didn't know they could do.
Little sympathy for her.

I suspect many posting here have an image of a 23 year old air head in her mind a princess, oblivious to the way the world works and thinking it revolves around her because she believes she is spesh. in fact she is just another pleb who is going to have many wake up calls in the real world if she carries on, probably never realising why.

The issue for the company is they are better at this stuff than she is.

;)

Its a long time since i sent any BACS for processing. I believe you used to be able to recall on days 1&2, but not 3.
You shouldn't be able to recall on day 3, thing is some places process before the deadline, so you could see the money showing us uncleared.

My belief is that day 3 its outside BACs control and its with the bank itself, upto day 2 BACs will trigger the recall. Day 3 its possible the bank may act on a recall notice, but I wouldn't assume every bank would do so.

Not everyone uses BACs though, plenty of places use same day transfer now (faster payments system), and the other thing that can affect things is the bank itself. Some payments can work slightly differently if both the sender and recipient are with the same bank, eg even cheques can clear same day.

Back
Top Bottom