Would it be possible to.....

Soldato
Hi all,
Currently have a Huawei 920Pro phone on a 2 year contract with 3, 4 months or so in to the contract term. I am now thinking that this phone is way overkill for my needs, so, would it be possible to sell the contract on to someone else? Is there any way I can get out of the contract, and get rid of this phone?

Any advice most welcome.
Mark

Soldato
No I don't think you can sell the contract, you will have to buy yourself out of it if you want to cancel, it's not cheap, usually something like the remainder of your monthly fees totalled up to the 2 year mark and then a discount applied.

Soldato
OP
No I don't think you can sell the contract, you will have to buy yourself out of it if you want to cancel, it's not cheap, usually something like the remainder of your monthly fees totalled up to the 2 year mark and then a discount applied.
Thanks for the reply - was hoping for better news. Groan.

Soldato
As above sell the phone and pay off the contract, however if you are paying any more than £25-30 per month its unlikely that the full buy out amount would be covered.

In addition why would someone accept a 4 month old handset and the remaining contract balance when there are likely better deals available now with brand new phones.

Soldato
I don't think it's a discount as such (in as much as the network isn't doing you a favour). I believe you pay the full term amount, less VAT. I stand to be corrected.

I was looking at Three which has the following in their price guide:

Lump sum equivalent to the total of the Monthly Charges remaining during the Minimum Term of your agreement less a variable discount, currently 20%. We reserve the right to vary the amount of the percentage discount from time to time.

http://www.three.co.uk/Three_price_guide

It'll be different for each provider, but the I suspect the variable discount is due in part to the tax rules as you will be cancelling your contract early and thus not receiving a service so VAT is technically not due on the final bill.

Uswitch quotes Three charging 97% of the final bill so now I'm not even sure... https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/cancelling-your-mobile-contract-early/

Soldato
OP
Thanks to all for your advice/ comments. Seems the only real choice is to sell it on, and get a cheaper payg phone.

Back
Top Bottom