radiator power flushing

Associate
hey folks anyone had any experience of this in their homes, last night after a weekend away turned the heating on to get the chill off the house and the radiators took quite a bit of time to get up to temp with cold spots in the middle bottom of pretty much all of them. called round today for a quote to do the job was shocked with how much it was between 600-750 ex vat which seemed high until I realised I have like 13 radiators in the house and the bloke would be here pretty much all day flushing and installing a magnaclean.

Soldato
Good idea to get it done before things grind to a halt.
If you have small bore pipework, then don't bother: Remove and wash each rad individually, two man outside with hose pipe. Then chemically treat the system to clean the rest. Think about adding a magnaclean to collect broken down debris, clean and flush, and then protect inhibitor.

Mick

Soldato
We had cold spots at the bottom and where considering this but we drained the radiators and refilled and it solved it. You could try with 1 radiator before shelling out. Water that came out was clean
So must have been a stubborn air bubble.

Associate
OP
yeah speaking with my father we are gonna take one of the smaller rads off and drain and flush it at that point if it is bad I will probably see about adding a cleaning additive to the rad and let that circulate around the system and then drain down the entire system and take each rad off and clean them out and inhibit the system. got another quote anyway and this one is like £500 cheaper than the first, bloke will even take a 28mm Fernox TF1 i have spare from my previous house which never got installed as part ex for a 22mm magnaclean

Soldato
We were looking into this too, it's expensive really. We then found out it's the boiler giving up, exchanger was leaking and the heating/hot water diverter valve gave up. Boiler was ironically just over 10 years old.

Soldato
Our radiators are the same. I'v taken to removing them one by one and flushing them out with a hosepipe in the garden. It's amazing how much black stuff comes out of them. It only takes about an hour for each one including draining. They seem to distribute heat more equally now.

Soldato
Our radiators are the same. I'v taken to removing them one by one and flushing them out with a hosepipe in the garden. It's amazing how much black stuff comes out of them. It only takes about an hour for each one including draining. They seem to distribute heat more equally now.
I would have been tempted to replace them it's not like they are expensive!

Soldato
I would have been tempted to replace them it's not like they are expensive!
The ones at the front of the house are curved in order to follow the contour of the bay windows so they are quite expensive. You can't just pop down to screws fix and pick one up for £30 unfortunately.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom