What book are you reading...

Caporegime
Just found a Kindle Paperwhite that I forgot I had in a drawer and got it up and running again.

Can anyone recommend me a good crime/murder mystery book set in the U.K either modern day or Victorian times? Sorry to be so specific.

Soldato
Just found a Kindle Paperwhite that I forgot I had in a drawer and got it up and running again.

Can anyone recommend me a good crime/murder mystery book set in the U.K either modern day or Victorian times? Sorry to be so specific.
My wife loves the "DCI Ryan" books by L. J. Ross, if that helps. She has literally stayed up all night reading the last two as son as they appear on her Kindle.

Associate

Haven't read them for a while, but I enjoyed Ian Rankin's books about Rebus. Mainly set up in Edinburgh. Then you also got Mark Billingham's series about DI Tom Thorne based in London as well.

Soldato
The Expanse books are excellent, as with everything, so much better than the tv series. Holden and the gang get up to more exciting things in the book, whereas the TV series skips or fluff's a few things due to budget i'm guessing.

Just finished book 1 and onto book 2, already a bunch of stuff that didn't happen on the series i'm reading in the books. Almost the GOT of sci-fi.

Soldato

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/f/mark-frost/list-of-seven.htm

I've just finished ''Replay" by Ken Grimwood which was quite beautiful.

In the same vein "The first fifteen lives of Harry August" by Catherine Webb deals with a similar plot in terms of reincarnation in the same life although less emotional and more of a thriller than Replay.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading the last of the HH books I picked up, Unremembered Empire, and my gosh it's as bad as the rest.

How people don't realise how bad an author Dan Abnett is baffles me. He literally writes every single book the same with a new skin. He has to have a "plucky" underdog type lead and he's turned the Ultramarines Primarch into an emotional teen girl whilst the bad Primarch tears up 20-30 people in 10 seconds without a sweat.

When this is done I am done for good with HH, such a shame they got hacks to flesh out such a cool backstory.

Soldato
Started reading 'The Project' series by Alex Lukeman mid August and finished them on Friday. Wasn't sure what to read next, as I do prefer reading large series where possible. Moving onto 'Victor the Assassin' by Tom Wood tomorrow. Hopefully decent!

Associate
For the umpteenth time.......love it. To think it was the novelization of the great movie starring Robin Williams (R.I.P. :(:().
DPS.jpg

Next on my list is Picnic at Hanging Rock written by Australian Joan Lindsay (there's a movie by Peter Weir as well). It's a true story although many critics have debunked it. In any case, I have visited Hanging Rock, northwest of Melbourne, many times and I can safely say there is something weird in the air around that rock and area:):)
51boUUBnzNL.jpg

Soldato
Bought The Last Wish - the book that inspired the Witcher in water stones the other day. Any one read it?

Yes. It's an introduction to Geralt. It's short stories about Geralt and his adventures being a monster killer. Sort of a day in the life of the Witcher, and an introduction to the world and his friends. I actually liked it better than the Ciri novels, because while Geralt is off doing a big quest adventure, he's not really doing Witcher things.

Soldato
Soldato
Been reading James Clavell's Asian saga, just about to finish King Rat leaving only whirlwind to read.

Being a chanbara fan, ( samurai flicks ) I naturally read Shogun first. Also mainly due to watching the the TV series when the BBC aired it years ago, but unless Whirlwind ends up being exceptionally good then Tai-Pan will probably be my favourite of the saga, in particular because of Dirk Struan, so a good character.

My only regret is not reading them In order. Going to be at a loss for something to read when I finish the series. Clavell is such a good writer.

Associate
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/f/mark-frost/list-of-seven.htm

I've just finished ''Replay" by Ken Grimwood which was quite beautiful.

In the same vein "The first fifteen lives of Harry August" by Catherine Webb deals with a similar plot in terms of reincarnation in the same life although less emotional and more of a thriller than Replay.

Replay and first fifteen lives of Harry August are both fantastic books :)

If you enjoyed those, you should check out Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore.

Read quite a bit this last week. Finished several books that have been on my to read list for months.The highlight of which has to be Arm of the Phoenix by Josiah Bancroft.

Man of Honour
Just finished the first audiobook of the Bobiverse series, We Are Legion (We Are Bob).

Superb I thought, brilliant sci-fi with loads of pop culture references (Star Trek, Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica references amongst them) and excellently told by the narrator who does an awesome job of the different voices and conveying emotions.

Very much looking forward to listening to the second book now

Back
Top Bottom