Audi Q3 - TDI or TFSI?

Associate
Hi All,

Looking at a couple of near identical cars. Both Black S Line Q3 Automatic. One is the 177BHP TDI and the other is the 148BHP 1.4 TFSI.

The TDI is also quattro. Both are one owner FSH. The TFSI has heated seats. They are the only differences between them I think.

Which would be the better buy and why?

Thanks,

Associate
There's loads of questions I feel like we should ask you to get more details to help the answers.
But an easy one is do you do 15k miles a year? If not a struggle to reccomend a nonpetrol to anyone these days. Especially if it's not a post VAG gate one.

Soldato
You don’t need Quattro so I would go petrol purely because it’s smoother and sounds better than an oil burner.

What’s the 0-60 on then both?

Associate
OP
You don’t need Quattro so I would go petrol purely because it’s smoother and sounds better than an oil burner.

What’s the 0-60 on then both?
Not sure on the 0-60. My leaf has a crap 0-60 but is nippy straight off the line when you want it to be, so I’m not overly fussed about that as a metric for deciding whether it’s useful for me.
There's loads of questions I feel like we should ask you to get more details to help the answers.
But an easy one is do you do 15k miles a year? If not a struggle to reccomend a nonpetrol to anyone these days. Especially if it's not a post VAG gate one.
Is this just because of the DPF? If so that’s valid so long as the turbo in the petrol isn’t any less reliable than in the diesel. Please ask away as I’m keen to get it right this time. Last time I went car shopping I wanted a petrol auto 5 door a5 and came back with a manual a4 diesel!

So the prices are identical?
Prices are £500 apart so not enough to sway a decision.

daz

daz

Soldato
Why is it a choice of Q3 or Q3? I don't think these are very good value for money considering how old the design is.

Associate
OP
The VAG 1.4 turbo's were quite problematic, melting pistons and burning out valves, not sure if they resolved that by 2014 so do your research.
That’s useful thanks.
Why is it a choice of Q3 or Q3? I don't think these are very good value for money considering how old the design is.
A few reasons: we like them; they have a higher seating position than saloons and hatchbacks, GLA and new X1 are out of price range; old X1 has depressing interior; don’t want running costs and size of next class up; don’t like the xc60 as much; or the Kuga; or the Mazda CX-5

Man of Honour

Me neither hence my initial question. I think it'd be difficult to justify one of these unless it was very cheap given its basically a jacked up 2003 A3.

daz

daz

Soldato
There are other cars out there other than the X1 and GLA. Jag E-pace, Peugeot 3008, amongst others. Could you get a newer Tiguan or even a T-roc for a similar price?

Associate
From a distance I'd say the TDI. More power, quattro and potentially better mileage. Bear in mind it's more like Euro 5 though, so if you plan to drive around London / potentially other big cities, you might be hit by the ULEZ or something equivalent. Euro 6 diesels are fine, but it varies for each manufacturer when they introduced them before becoming mandatory.

The definition of need varies for everyone, but quattro is a nice handy addition for wet days and the odd potential burst of snow. I know it doesn't snow that often, but there are plenty of days in the years when the roads are wet, greasy and slippery. Quattro shouldn't be dismissed until you've tried it for a few weeks in all weather conditions.

But I do agree with the other people in here, it's an old platform heavy car not scoring particularly high on practicability. I'd steer clear. I really enjoyed the T-roc that came as my rental a few months ago, certainly worth a look!

Associate
OP
I think ‘2003 A3’ is a bit much. I had a Leon if that age where the interior is exactly the same as the a3 and this isn’t like that. Interior feels less dated than the x1. I would have an A3 gladly if they were a bit higher.

Man of Honour
I think ‘2003 A3’ is a bit much.

It's not - its entirely true. The Q3 is built on the Audi A3 8P, which was released in 2003.

I had a Leon if that age where the interior is exactly the same as the a3 and this isn’t like that. Interior feels less dated than the x1.

2003 Leon was on the 8L platform, which was the 1996 Audi A3 not the 2003 variant. The X1 was based on the 2004 1 Series, so as well as being probably one of the poorest BMW's ever made it too is very, very old.

I would have an A3 gladly if they were a bit higher.

The A3 is a much newer, more modern and better car than the Q3.

Associate
OP
There are other cars out there other than the X1 and GLA. Jag E-pace, Peugeot 3008, amongst others. Could you get a newer Tiguan or even a T-roc for a similar price?
I hadn’t looked at the E Pace because I’ve assumed it’s out of price range. Same with the T Roc. I’ll check it out. New Tiguan will be too expensive and SWMBO doesn’t like the old one.

EDIT - The E Pace is too expensive, as is the new tiguan. Not interested in the 3008, Kia Sportage or Vauxhall Mokka/CrossLand

Last edited:
Caporegime
I still don't get this higher seating position bull****. My backside is nigh on on the floor in my car and visibility is great. In fact, I can see under wagons which you can't in many cars!
The only time visibility is an issue is when an suv pulls up next to me...
As for access etc...My poor old nan cant get in or out of the things but manages just fine with every saloon I've picked her up in.

I've had the misfortune of driving all of Vauxhall and Renaults offerings as hire cars - avoid like the plague. They're utter dross. Gutless, handle like crap, poorly made.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
It's not - its entirely true. The Q3 is built on the Audi A3 8P, which was released in 2003.

2003 Leon was on the 8L platform, which was the 1996 Audi A3 not the 2003 variant. The X1 was based on the 2004 1 Series, so as well as being probably one of the poorest BMW's ever made it too is very, very old.

The A3 is a much newer, more modern and better car than the Q3.
So why is the interior the same as an A1 not A3 if it's a "jacked up A3"

Back
Top Bottom