Sense check on £1k build please.

Associate
Hi, I'm attempting my first build and would appreciate any advice on improvements, pitfalls and possible incompatibility issues on my attempt below.

I'm trying to concentrate on performance over aesthetics for now.

I've borrowed heavily from builds by @lee32uk and @orbitalwalsh (Thank you) and wanted to check the end result.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,021.58 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Soldato
Hi welcome

That looks pretty good. You can drop the psu down to a 550W. Also a modular will make cable management a bit easier.

The Antec Earthwatts is a semi modular unit, and the Seasonic is fully modular. Either would be fine.

If you wanted to stick with 650W then the Antec 650W isn't much more than the Bitfenix.

Total: £245.07 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Soldato
Just be aware that bundle offer is a lie, since the SSD is not free. The individual components only cost £403, so you are paying £34 for an SSD, where as you could put that £34 towsrds a different bigger or faster drive instead.

OCUK marketing fails hard sadly. :(

Soldato
Just be aware that bundle offer is a lie, since the SSD is not free. The individual components only cost £403, so you are paying £34 for an SSD, where as you could put that £34 towsrds a different bigger or faster drive instead.

OCUK marketing fails hard sadly. :(

price drop in ram, is normally the culprit :(

maybe Gibbo can adjust the deal to make SSD free as stated ?

Possible option-

Total: £459.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

you also get £40 steam voucher with Gigabyte for the board on current promo​

@Myphatarz

little bit more and you get 16GB extra , which when you've formatted an Drive for the first time, 10GB is gone, then add in windows take sup 10-20GB

as @lee32uk mentioned, take down the wattage, add in the Antec unit to make life... neater
also have antec rep here if you need to sharpen the pitch fork @Ace Modder

move tot he Zotac - have used this model (1080 11gbps) and its huge but a solid card and much cooler operating then MSI

case changed for glass panel... makes a massive difference and doesnt get scratched!!!!

BB CODE
Total: £1,013.90 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Last edited:
Soldato
price drop in ram, is normally the culprit :(

To be fair the deal bundle isn't great at all anymore, and the OCUK pricing isn't good either, look at the prices below for the parts.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Total: £338.96

So the free hard drive is actually costing £100, they really need to stop pretending that it's free and sort the pricing out, it's shockingly bad recently. For £100 you can buy an 480GB ADATA SX8200 NVMe SSD

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
I notice in other threads that separate coolers have been advised. is it worth looking at or will the stock one suffice?

Another site I looked at suggests there may be compatibility issues between the chip and the MB. I'm assuming this is wrong as they were bundled together, will I need to do anything to make sure they match?

Soldato
I notice in other threads that separate coolers have been advised. is it worth looking at or will the stock one suffice?

Another site I looked at suggests there may be compatibility issues between the chip and the MB. I'm assuming this is wrong as they were bundled together, will I need to do anything to make sure they match?

The stock cooler is fine for a small overclock. If you want to get the max out of it then something like a Cryorig H7 or similar would help with temps.

The X370 chipset doesn't support the R5 2600 out of the box. I would imagine that most boards will have an up to date bios but it wouldn't do any harm to check with ocuk. There is also a Gigabyte rep who posts on the forums @GIGA-Man if you need any help with that.

You might want to add an extra fan or two for front intake to your basket as that Cougar case only has 1 x rear fan pre-installed.

Soldato
Total: £409.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

The pricing on that bundle is still a bit off as mentioned above. Not as bad as it was, but the SSD still isn't technically 'Free'.

If you buy the cpu, board and ram individually it should come to the same price as the bundle with the SSD to make it worth it.

Total: £370.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

You only save around £11 by buying the bundle

Total: £409.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
go for a B450 mo board. the x370 wont work with that ryzen 5 2600 out of the box without a bios upgrade

All of OCUK's stock should now have the latest BIOs thank to the **** up with the original shipment a few months ago not having it, forcing them to be collected and re-flashed by Gigabtye. This was due to OCUK selling them as a kit, and guaranteeing compatibility, there was much egg on face. :p

Associate

Erm true..

If gigabyte aint updated the bios then the processor wont work in an x370
Its been posted a few times where people have purchased that bundle and the bios aint been updated on the board.

So my statement stands, go for a B450 board that the processor will work on straight out of the box :p

Soldato
Erm true..

If gigabyte aint updated the bios then the processor wont work in an x370
Its been posted a few times where people have purchased that bundle and the bios aint been updated on the board.

So my statement stands, go for a B450 board that the processor will work on straight out of the box :p

After watching the Buildzoid teardown of B450 most of them are pretty rubbish (VRM wise). The MSI Pro Carbon AC seems to be pretty decent but the bios is awful with MSI. Not sure how good/bad the Gigabyte X370 is but ocuk should be able to confirm whether the bios is up to date. If not then Giga Man to the rescue I guess :D

Back
Top Bottom