• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8GB vs 11GB another 2080 vs 1080ti q

Soldato
Because I’m not sure if the inno3d is better than the fe or not

And I’m not sure if the 8gb will limit me in the future over the 11gb 1080ti.

I remember when I bought my 670 people said the higher gb model was redundant hence asking for advice

At 1080P, my 1070 uses almost 8GB in some games, Shadow of Mordor being one.

I think it would run out at 1440P.

If I was buying a card for eight hundred quid, I'd want the 11GB for sure.

Soldato
OP
At 1080P, my 1070 uses almost 8GB in some games, Shadow of Mordor being one.

I think it would run out at 1440P.

If I was buying a card for eight hundred quid, I'd want the 11GB for sure.

Damn, I was under the impression that the 2080 is faster RAM therefore the less memory is redundant

Soldato
If you do 4k gaming and VR then you want a 2080ti for the best possible framerate at 4k. Forget worrying about video RAM 8gb is more than enough and will never cause issues at the moment GPU's are so far ahead of games at the moment it wont be a problem.

2080 v 1080ti simply comes down whether you want to future proof yourself but then again think of the games coming out and a 1080ti will be more than enough.

If you want the latest tech and cant afford a 2080ti then get the 2080. If you want a good value for money card get a 1080ti which will last another 4-5 years. Easy.

Associate
In truth after doing a lot of digging and searching it comes down too 8gb vs 11gb of ram and if you are actually hitting this limit (some games do get there) and if you will use dlss at all? (i for example game at 1080p 240hz gsync so i will make no use of upscaling) and lastly raytracing which if were all honest does not look like it is matured yet (and is not usable at all yet).

You can get a decent new 1080ti on ocuk for around £600 but for a decent 2080 you looking at around £800 mark.

Most benchmarks seem to show them getting the same fps in games with some being higher for the 2080 or some being higher for the 1080 ti and thats why i bought a 1080ti today after doing the same back and forth because i know in a perfect world i would buy the 2080 ti in a heartbeat but i can buy two 1080 ti's for that amount.

Soldato
The inno3d card is an entry into the 20 series and worth comparing prices to but I'd rather go for an FE. Note that this starts at £749.99 not £800 - £800 is where the better AIB cards start at. FE's look gorg tho,Inno does look a bit cheapy but then so do most of the AIB cards :p
I've said enough on this in other threads so wont repeat myself other than saying IMO Id only go for the cheapest last gen which is the Giga 1080 Ti before the price rises, otherwise the argument IMO favours the 20. Should be lower power consumption too from the 2080.
Could just hold out a while? I can see 2080's coming down a bit,maybe even FE's although they don't usually drop pricing on those this early.
At 1440P the games I've checked hardly use more than 4-5GB, the highest being Forza 4 I tried today (4.9GB) although I'm not sure that was right as it showed a max around 6.75 which is lower than 8GB available).It was showing 65FPS - I'm always of the belief GPU's will run out of oomph before memory (as long as >6GB at this time). Shame the 2080 doesn't have more tho but it's aimed at 4K too so should be enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
FF15 with normal textures can fill a buffer on a 1080ti.
on ultra textures, it bleeds into system ram.

The resource leaks are buggy as hell but still it happens :p

Soldato
If it was me I wouldn't buy Inno 3D just seems to much of a budget brand.

I would buy the FE on the other hand tho.

---

Although it maybe true what people are saying about Ray Tracing and DLSS etc.... it doesn't make the performance if the 2080 any worse. It's still gona perform if not as good as 1080ti if not better in games optimised for the 2000 series.

For me I wouldn't buy a 1080ti over a 2080. Especially if your planning on keeping it long term.

If the price difference is only £100 as indicated earlier in the thread then I would 100% go 2080.

The only murkiness happens when you talk of a 'heavily' modded FC4. I've not dabbled in modding but I would expect the extra 3Gb of ram of the 1080ti to come in handy.

However I still wouldn't choose it over a 2080 on that alone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst the 1080ti is sub £600 new, it really is a no brainer against the 2080. Hurr durr it might be better! Yeah well it might not either; paying £100 extra for something that might be better is stupid. I've not heard any 980ti owners who regret not getting a 1070.

Soldato
It is not £100 though, it is £120. I went for the 1080ti because it was cheaper, but the extra year of warranty and its UK RMA base are also positive points to consider, I think the performance will be here nor there when both are overclocked, as I don't think the Giga will overclock loads.

Soldato
Not such an easy decision as some make out anyway.
Even at £120 you have a card that's potentially going to pull ahead in future. I Was just looking at some old reviews, 1080 Ti vs TX Pascal and one of those mentioned how the TXP had improved since it was first tested. 10 series is now fully optimised where as the 20 is not.
No wrong answer tho, just ask yourselves whether you'll be happy in x amount of time. Do you want to try out RTX for example? Worse decision would be to buy a 1080 Ti now, then in 6 months to a year realise you want a 20 series when they're still the same price, although hopefully they'll have reduced somewhat but still probably going to lose more selling an old Ti second hand. Buying old tech you're locking yourself into that for at least a year or two.

Soldato
It might pull away it might not, I am already stretching £80 for the 1080ti, I couldn't really stretch another £120.
Even if it pulls away up to 5 percent away I would still be ok with my choice, as I wouldn't buy any brand apart from zotac, gigabyte or evga (due to warranty) which are more like £190 more than the 1080ti.

Soldato
I can't help but feel there's another clever strategy by Nvidia at play here with the pricing... the excess Pascal stock has created quite the opportunity in so far as it has allowed them to hike the 20xx cost, enabling the sell through of all that old Pascal stock. Such is the anger they knew would be created at the sky high pricing of Turing, once Pascal is out the way, they can then lower to MSRP level and see people go nuts at how "cheap" it now is ha! Genius. :p

Soldato
I can't help but feel there's another clever strategy by Nvidia at play here with the pricing... the excess Pascal stock has created quite the opportunity in so far as it has allowed them to hike the 20xx cost, enabling the sell through of all that old Pascal stock. Such is the anger they knew would be created at the sky high pricing of Turing, once Pascal is out the way, they can then lower to MSRP level and see people go nuts at how "cheap" it now is ha! Genius. :p
I love the way NVidia has made people think around £600 for a last gen GPU is a bargain....:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a 1080ti off the MM instead of a 2080. The extra ram is worth more than some razzy tech that may or may not be of any use. Nvidia drop the ball with this release, wait on version 2 and you won’t loose that much on a 1080ti when you come to sell.

Back
Top Bottom