Clapping Banned at Manchester University Student Union Events

Associate
For me, an entire room full of people doing jazz hands in silence is much more likely to trigger an anxiety attack than people clapping. Quiet rooms full of people really creep me out.

Soldato
I find it pretty alarming, how some of the educational establishments are encouraging and supporting this sort of thing.

I'm almost at a loss in wondering, exactly how someone who experiences anxiety from the presence of people clapping, has managed to make it from birth to adulthood, without dying? How are they able to go outside and cope with normal day to day life, if clapping can cause them to have some sort of episode.

What do they do when a lorry discharges it's airbrakes nearby, a jet plane flies overhead or a car backfires? do they literally curl up on the floor in the fetal position?

I feel like I'm being trolled each time I read one of these reports, and keep checking the sources to make sure I'm not on the onion or something.

Soldato
I find it pretty alarming, how some of the educational establishments are encouraging and supporting this sort of thing.

I can picture the scene of the meeting where it was raised and no-one wanting to be "that guy" and saying no. I get it though I guess, who doesn't want to be inclusive or respectful especially in a learning environment? I don't think this is a good long term solution though. What happens when they hit the real world?

Soldato
You cant beat anxiety by protecting people from it, they have to face it. Things like this are just huge safety mechanisms, ultimately they make anxiety worse.

Soldato
You cant beat anxiety by protecting people from it, they have to face it. Things like this are just huge safety mechanisms, ultimately they make anxiety worse.
I dunno. I think it's more like the frog in boiling water analogy.

Chuck them straight into hot water, and they'll jump out, but start with cool water and slowly increase it and they'll stay there. And boil to death.

Permabanned
Can anyone honestly say that people thinking of going to a student meeting or speech might defer from attending due to the "risk" of people around them may clap?! I don't know who is the more stupid, those for suggesting it or those taking them seriously.

Caporegime
I just imagined a scenario where some joker claps as loud as possible whilst the ***** are doing their silent jazz hands, and the room suddenly erupts in fear and everyone starts running for their lives. :p The real world is going to eat these people alive.

Caporegime
Soldato
TalkRadio’s Julia Hartley-Brewer from next year’s conference after she shouted ‘boo’ in a ‘safe space’
Ms Hartley-Brewer recorded a light-hearted video mocking a 'safe space'
LABOUR has banned TalkRadio host Julia Hartley-Brewer from its conference next year.
The party issued the edict yesterday because of complaints that she had violated its "safe space" at last week's conference in Liverpool by shouting “boo”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7393078/julia-hartley-brewer-safe-space-ban/

To be fair, she's got no place at a Labour Party conference. She'll either have been there (and doing this) on the wind up, or as part of TalkRadio, in which case she should have been behaving herself, not acting the ***.

Back
Top Bottom