MK1 Focus engines 1.6 vs 1.8

Associate
Hi all

The mrs' car has gone bang and is pretty much scrap now. Need an urgent cheapish runaround and as I love my mk1 Focus (had for 15 years) was tempted to go for one for her at round £1-1.3k as I know the car well. However, have found a decent Mk1 near me but it's a 1.8 whereas mine is a 1.6.
Obviously apart from engine size and layout, are the engines similar in regards to repairs and known issues?
I ask as I like to repair and maintain myself if I can.

Cheers

Associate
My understanding is 1.8 offers nothing of note over the 1.6, but their both reliable.

Might be worth looking at a mk2 focus, there are plenty about for that sort of money! My understanding is their not that different, just a little more refined.

Incidentally i miss my focus, it was a great (and very forgiving) car to throw around.

Soldato
I seem to recall the 1.8 being the awkward middle engine - no faster than the 1.6, as thirsty as the 2.0. The worst of both worlds rather than the best.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input. This one appealled as it was close and had a very low mileage and in good nick with no stupidly high list of fails of advisories on MOT history.
I read around that a lot of people prefer the MK1 over the MK2 but as a basic runaround I suppose it's neither here or there, especially as it is for the mrs and her commuting.
I get 35-42MPG depending on town or motorway driving which isn't bad for a near 20 year old car I don't think.
We test drove a 56 plate Fiesta 1.4 in great nick and liked it but couldn't believe how much more comfortable my '99 focus felt in comparison and when we drove back home from the dealer so have boshed that off!
I'll look in to a MK2 1.6 Focus and compare.

Ta

Caporegime
1.6 is the Zetec-SE engine, 1.8 is the older Zetec found in early Mondeos etc. Averaged 40mpg with mixed driving in my old 1.6 Focus and it gave me no hassle over 5 years.

Soldato
It was well know you either get the 1.6 or the 2.0.

The 1.8 was not that much faster over 1.6 but had similar thirst to the 2.0. My mk1 is a 1.6 and its pretty decent and been extremely reliable.

Soldato
Most of the Ford engines are pretty reliable. It's only when you get to the tiny ones like the 1.0 that problems start.

Soldato
I had a 1.8 zetec focus for 13 years from nearly new and it was a lovely engine. In 145k it went through 2 coilpacks (last one was £15) and a speed sensor. Everything else was maintenence: New clutch, 2 cambelts and numerous oil and filter changes.

I found the 1.8 had more grunt than the 1.6 and was more refined and less tinny, but of course it was thirstier.

I'd say the engine has an economic working life of about 150k max if treated well. After 145k lots of some parts became brittle and failed such as the thermostat housing and rocker cover. Towards the end it needed more maintenance than I was prepared to give it.

Soldato
I'd not worry too much whether it's the 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 tbh - rust is your biggest worry IMO.

My 2001 Mk1 Focus was a bit rust when I got shot of it at around 10 years old.

Make sure you check around the boot handle, the bottom of the inside the doors, around the wing mirrors (where the mirror meets the body) and the arches.

Solid chars mechanically, mine cost pence to run. Only really needed to replace wheel bearings, thermostat housing and rocker cover gasket in my 7 year ownership.

Caporegime
The earlier MK1 suffered from rust because of the plastic sill covers holding water, facelift ones didn't suffer so much. Mine had a bit of rust at the bottom of the passenger door BUT it was because it had a new door skin at some point and probably wasn't sealed properly. Structurally it was fine.

Associate
OP
Quick update.
Picked up a 2001 MK1 1.6 LX 74k miles for £650 in the end.
A decent amount of service history and nothing major on MOT check with one small corrosion advisory.
Was in much better condition than an 06 mk2 we looked at yesterday.
Was advertised with quick clear screen and a/c..... It actually had no quick clear and the a/c doesn't work. Button lights up but that's it. Not overly fussed but might get it checked to see if it's just a regas or seal issue.

Cheers

Associate
Nice buy for that money. I owned a mk1 1.6 years ago and it was a solid car until I crashed it into the side of a mountain :D

Soldato
The earlier MK1 suffered from rust because of the plastic sill covers holding water, facelift ones didn't suffer so much. Mine had a bit of rust at the bottom of the passenger door BUT it was because it had a new door skin at some point and probably wasn't sealed properly. Structurally it was fine.
Yeah my current mk1.5 is doing really well, bit of rust at the bottom of the rear arches and thats about it. Doing better then my mums mk2. I see no reason why we wont be keeping the Mk1.5 for a good few years yet, very dependable car, only thing its needed other than servicing is a thermostat housing. Its easily been the most reliable and cheapest car ive ever had to run.

Soldato
I had an early MK2 (54 reg, you see Mk1's with 54 reg plates, that's how early my MK2 was) which rusted like crazy underneath. So just to warn you, if you stretch to a MK2, check it for rust also as they aren't immune. Although a few mechanics who looked at the car whilst I owned it were surprised as they don't apparently have a reputation for it, unlike the MK1's

Associate
OP
Drove the "new" car just over 120 miles so far and it now has PAS leak :(
Topped up around 100ml of fuild every 3-4 miles to get it the 14 miles home from work without running it dry.
Found out that it's dripping from the power steering pressure switch screwed to the pipe work, which after a quick google is a well known issue.
Looks like a cheap and easy fix, can't see it leaking elsewhere (from pump or tubing etc) so fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom