• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700k/8086k vs 2700x

Soldato
I think he's getting at, its best having a higher clock speed for emulation current and future games.

Basically if you do more gaming, go intel or AMD if you do more multitasking/encoding ext... For abit of everything its up to you, intel or amd will do the job, but Im a raw clockspeed man.

Plus what cpu will last longest,, its not just "now" its the "future" too,,, Will the higher clock count and slower clock speed be better option, or will the higher clock speed and a less core count be best looking into the future? ...... Its a mine field, it really is..

Quoting Intel as future proofing? Oh lord I've heard it all now.. bwahaha.

Buy a Ryzen rig now, be 4% slower than Intel, next year swap just the CPU and be potentially 10% faster than Intel, probably for a good year or more.

Associate
In most games they're essentially even at 1440p, with the 2700X even winning a few. And the OP is gaming at 4K based on another thread. Your own link doesn't even agree with you about the 8700K stomping the 2700X. Perhaps read things before posting them.

4% faster! With a 5GHz 8700K at "just" 1440p. What a spectacular victory for the king of gaming CPUs! Certainly worth the extra £100+ there, especially when that'll drop to 0% at 4K like the OP is running. But hey, king of 720p and 1080p when paired with a 1080 Ti. Something to splash on the marketing material, that.

Do you plan to back up this statement with any facts at all? I'm so sick of reading people say this with no justification whatsoever. Name one game on one emulator that runs at full speed on an 8700K and doesn't on a 2700X. One game, which I'll test and report back on. That's all I ask.

In RPCS3, a 8700K will run circles around any Ryzen chip due to TSX and better AVX.

Soldato
To the OP... just buy an Intel system and stop creating threads all over the place. You obviously don't want advice, you just want someone to agree with your brain which has already chosen Intel.

Suck it up, and pay the ridiculous price and be happy you got the best system but got ripped for it... just stop asking the same question over, and over, and over again in various threads.

Soldato
OP
To the OP... just buy an Intel system and stop creating threads all over the place. You obviously don't want advice, you just want someone to agree with your brain which has already chosen Intel.

Suck it up, and pay the ridiculous price and be happy you got the best system but got ripped for it... just stop asking the same question over, and over, and over again in various threads.
I apologise for that.

Went crazy last night, sorry for asking ultimately the same question multiple times.

I really hadn't made my mind up though! its just the difference between a 2700x and a 8086k build is only £100 which isn't THAT much compared to what going intel meant in the past i think relative to how expensive everything is.

Buy a Ryzen rig now, be 4% slower than Intel, next year swap just the CPU and be potentially 10% faster than Intel, probably for a good year or more.

This is a good point but I don't think I'm going to buy a 2700x to sack it off after a year or two.

Soldato
Not read the entire thread but I don't see where someone has asked OP what resolution the even game at. Generalisations such as "the best gaming CPU" does not help matters. It may be, but what if OP games at 1440P or higher? It's less important.
Last time I looked the 8700K was 50% more expensive than a 2700X (£300 vs £450). It's pointless really asking "which one if they were the same price", because they're not :). At current prices the 2700X is a fairly obvious choice. At same price if someone needs the extra cores for other work they'd go with the 2700X too. If user spends a lot of time gaming at 1080P or 720P, prices the same, does not need extra cores, 8700K.
OP really as a bit of a silly question because it's too simple :). Detail every requirement you have in the first post when asking a question then you'll get better advice.
Both the 8700K and 2700X are good processors. Neither are rubbish. There's no wrong buy either no matter what the use is. However, if you want to make the ultimate choice for your use then you could buy the one that fulfils more of your requirements better but even if you don't do that, you're not getting a bad CPU. At 50% higher price tho, the 8700K is a lost case :)

Soldato
I really hadn't made my mind up though! its just the difference between a 2700x and a 8086k build is only £100 which isn't THAT much compared to what going intel meant in the past i think relative to how expensive everything is.

Except it's more than £100. Shopping around, you can find the following:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Total: £557.01

For the saving made, you could literally throw the 2700X when Zen2 is released and buy a new replacement and have spent the same as the Intel kit, don't forget you don't need a stupid high end board for a 2700X since PBO will for the most part give you the best auto-overclock vs. trying to get an extra 50-100MHz manually by adding silly voltage, so you are not wasting money.

Soldato
OP
Not read the entire thread but I don't see where someone has asked OP what resolution the even game at. Generalisations such as "the best gaming CPU" does not help matters. It may be, but what if OP games at 1440P or higher? It's less important.
Last time I looked the 8700K was 50% more expensive than a 2700X (£300 vs £450). It's pointless really asking "which one if they were the same price", because they're not :). At current prices the 2700X is a fairly obvious choice. At same price if someone needs the extra cores for other work they'd go with the 2700X too. If user spends a lot of time gaming at 1080P or 720P, prices the same, does not need extra cores, 8700K.
OP really as a bit of a silly question because it's too simple :). Detail every requirement you have in the first post when asking a question then you'll get better advice.

Good point thanks.

I'm mainly doing 4k gaming, VR gaming, maybe ultrawide high refresh rate gaming at some point and the option to do emulators.

Also I can get an 8086k for £390 hence why im kinda comparing it to the 2700x.

Soldato
OP
Except it's more than £100. Shopping around, you can find the following:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Total: £557.01

For the saving made, you could literally throw the 2700X when Zen2 is released and buy a new replacement and have spent the same as the Intel kit, don't forget you don't need a stupid high end board for a 2700X since PBO will for the most part give you the best auto-overclock vs. trying to get an extra 50-100MHz manually by adding silly voltage, so you are not wasting money.

Hi Journey, I think I can get an 8086k for £390.
I didn't realise you need expensive high end boards? I found an Aorus Gaming board with wifi for £160ish on the intel side of things.

Soldato
Hi Journey, I think I can get an 8086k for £390.
I didn't realise you need expensive high end boards? I found an Aorus Gaming board with wifi for £160ish on the intel side of things.

You think? There are zero places in the UK retail that have the 8086K in stock at that price, cheapest I can see is £459 and it's with a company that I'd want to physically check it was real before buying from them. :p

If you are planning to overclock, then you are going to want a board with good power circuitry, e.g. a good VRM for the CPU, if you don't then you can literally buy any Z370 board and it should work just fine, but you might want to make sure there is air flow near the VRM heatsinks (if it has any).

£390 for the CPU, £100 for a cheapo board, and £130 for 16GB 3000MHz RAM - £620, might as well buy the Intel and have peace of mind. :)

Soldato
Good point thanks.

I'm mainly doing 4k gaming, VR gaming, maybe ultrawide high refresh rate gaming at some point and the option to do emulators.

Also I can get an 8086k for £390 hence why im kinda comparing it to the 2700x.
Is that new price or used? If used then need to compare with used 2700X price.
It's can be difficult to make the ultimate choice. Even reviews don't cover every scenario and we also don't know if they're flawed in some way too. Problem on forums is that you'll get mixed advice, biased advice, fanboy advice sometimes too :).
I don't do VR gaming so can't comment on that. As above there;s no wrong choice IMO. If you can get a 8086 for £390 and just don't mind spending the extra £90, don't need the extra cores then go for it.
In gaming, especially at 4K, nobody is going to notice the difference IMO unless they have two systems running side by side and playing the same game. I don't they'd notice then either. Too many focus on just the numbers, FPS. 8086K or 2700X at 4k, both will be good. At £300 vs £450+ the 2700X however is more of an obvious choice. Also at these prices you could spend the extra £150 on the GPU if you need one too so the 2700X would have better FPS anyway :p. For gaming the money is best spent on the GPU side of things.

Last edited:
Soldato

Im not on about swapping hardware, like me I like to keep my stuff for as long as possible

Soldato
In most games they're essentially even at 1440p, with the 2700X even winning a few. And the OP is gaming at 4K based on another thread. Your own link doesn't even agree with you about the 8700K stomping the 2700X. Perhaps read things before posting them.

4% faster! With a 5GHz 8700K at "just" 1440p. What a spectacular victory for the king of gaming CPUs! Certainly worth the extra £100+ there, especially when that'll drop to 0% at 4K like the OP is running. But hey, king of 720p and 1080p when paired with a 1080 Ti. Something to splash on the marketing material, that.

Do you plan to back up this statement with any facts at all? I'm so sick of reading people say this with no justification whatsoever. Name one game on one emulator that runs at full speed on an 8700K and doesn't on a 2700X. One game, which I'll test and report back on. That's all I ask.

Sensitive aren't we.

Where did I say "stomping"? I said it wins in all but a few games, so tell me, is that statement correct?. Overall it's faster at 720p, 1080p, 1440p by smaller amounts as the res gets higher, but it's still winning over the 2700x hence still the king of gaming. Reason there is no 4k benchmark is because that's heavily GPU dependant, and is the reason why the results get closer as the resolution increases. There are plenty of videos on Youtube still showing the 8700K beats the 2700X at that res also in 15 to 30 game tests.

2700x is still a damn good CPU though, we can't argue with that. Zen2 is the one worth keeping an eye on now, I wouldn't go to Ryzen at the moment with the next gen closely on the horizon.

One thing to note, plenty of friends I game with through ocuk on various Discord channels that built Ryzen systems, they all want to go back to Intel. Admittedly, they built those systems last year but I'd still rather take Intel today over Ryzen just for it being proven tried and tested, with bonkers high clock speeds. When AMD can do a 8c16t CPU that overclocks to 4.6GHz absolute minimum is when I'll consider them over an Intel for gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gaming - 8700k/8086k
Content creation - 2700x

The 2700x just can't keep up with the clock speed advantage in single threaded apps, especially when both are tweaked. My 8086k runs at 5Ghz all day long in a laptop.

Soldato
OP
Is that new price or used? If used then need to compare with used 2700X price.
It's can be difficult to make the ultimate choice. Even reviews don't cover every scenario and we also don't know if they're flawed in some way too. Problem on forums is that you'll get mixed advice, biased advice, fanboy advice sometimes too :).
I don't do VR gaming so can't comment on that. As above there;s no wrong choice IMO. If you can get a 8086 for £390 and just don't mind spending the extra £90, don't need the extra cores then go for it.
In gaming, especially at 4K, nobody is going to notice the difference IMO unless they have two systems running side by side and playing the same game. I don't they'd notice then either. Too many focus on just the numbers, FPS. 8086K or 2700X at 4k, both will be good. At £300 vs £450+ the 2700X however is more of an obvious choice. Also at these prices you could spend the extra £150 on the GPU if you need one too so the 2700X would have better FPS anyway :p. For gaming the money is best spent on the GPU side of things.

It’s a new price :) I already have a 2080 on order for whenever it appears

Associate
It's funny how the % AMD are slower than Intel in gaming changes from post to post. Is it 9% or 4%? Who knows. :) Anyway for gaming get the Intel chip. AMD may be quicker in the future but no one really knows and by the time you care both Intel and AMD would have moved on the new things.

Soldato
Have you not thought about waiting for the 9700k, its probably gonna be about same price and the 2 extra cores would probably be better than hyper threading.

Back
Top Bottom