Parking argument

Associate
I agree that you can park there but it does make it more awkward to get on to his drive and I wouldn't want people squeezing past. Looking at the road its a right PITA to go down and turn when people are parked in the turning circle bit too. Neighbour probably got irate quickly if its a regular occurrence - in their mind, they are doing their bit to alleviate the parking problem by creating a drive so get frustrated that it's made more difficult by visitors.

Soldato
it does make it super awkward for him to get in/out and I can see why he would be annoyed but he should be paying council to put a dropped kerb on this end and then he'd have a more valid argument.

right now someone could park the other side too and completely block his driveway.

Soldato
Even with you there, even a large car could get in and out. I wish people would just be sensible and accept that, under cramped conditions such as those, you can't expect to not have to share space.

Our street is very cramped for parking, occasionally I'll get blocked in by a neighbour but it isn't a big deal and I understand the situation, as do they. It all gets ruined by one neighbour who is retired early, lives on his own with no friends and has all the time in the world to police the parking. The worst thing is he's one of those that although doesn't need a lot of space, demands he's left it.

The day we picked up the keys to our house, we popped out to look inside the garage, he drove in front of us blocking our ability to open the door and asked if we wouldn't mind parking at our old house or at the local shops, or even better sign his petition to have the garages knocked down and turned into parking spaces, this is the sort of person he is. insane.
He used to knock on our door whenever he wanted, morning night, 7:00am Sunday morning. I wouldn't mind but he wont attempt to reverse and turn at all, says he can't do it. We offered him driving lessons but he refused.

Eventually it got heated when he asked me to move, I said i'd had a skin full and wouldn't even touch the car as I was still half cut, he offered to move my car for me which I refused. I came out and checked in the street to see if he was genuinely blocked in, he wasn't so I told him to jog on and never knock on my door again, he attacked me, I restrained myself and just pushed him away, he got his car out without issue and now he's never knocked again. I felt bad, as I was still half drunk I did react angrily and nearly went over there later to apologise but if I were to do that he'd start knocking again i'm sure. Moral of the story is if someone has an unreasonable bee in their bonnet regarding parking, chances are they will never see sense.

Associate
Not true. Depends on where you live and how your council enforces them. Mine will ticket on demand if someone is over your dropped kerb, car on drive or not. IIRC, some councils will tow for the same.
Highways act s137 only covers blocking access to a public highway, not private land/driveways.
We have just gone through ~2 years of this with students at a nearby college parking all down our road in front of driveways, the council finally put down no parking lines in front of our driveways and limited parking lines the other side. But if the majority of residents didn't ask for it, there was nothing that could be done. 1 or 2 complaints here and there isn't enough.
If your council is ticketing them, technically they don't have any right to, and you should be demanding that money off the council as compensation since you are the one who's inconvenienced.

Back
Top Bottom