Hepatitis B Treatment in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hello,

I am a chronic hepatitis b patient who is living abroad currently. Diagnosis was completed last month and my doctor started an antiviral treatment (Entecavir pills) immediately due to damage of the liver. Luckly, national health insurance by the government provides the treatment free for chronic hepatitis b. Do you know if the condition is the same in UK? I mean if I live in UK, will NHS (National Health Service) provide the treatment free for chronic hepatitis b patients?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
outstanding first post on a computer enthusiast forum (albeit at least you managed to post in GD) - sorry to hear about your condition but why do you want to know if the NHS will fund your treatment? is the treatment you are receiveing at 'home' (where ever that is) substandard? or are you looking to move to the UK?

Soldato
This looks like a bot or a troll looking to start a discussion on health tourists but i will bite because I think there are a lot of misinformation on the subject and i think it's pretty interesting

Your entitlement to free NHS treatment depends on the length and purpose of your residence in the UK, not your nationality. You might be charged for some NHS services, for example, your dental treatment, though you could be entitled to help with these charges. Any free NHS treatment you receive, or any help with NHS costs, does not affect your immigration status.

If you are entitled to it, you can obtain free treatment immediately. There is no qualifying period.

If you have to pay for treatment because you do not meet the residence conditions, this does not count as discrimination. However, you must be given clear information about charges in a way you understand. This could include providing information in a foreign language or an interpreter, if necessary. If you aren't given clear information, this might be discrimination and you can complain about it

Whether you are charged or not depends on how long you have been a resident.

OP is not a resident and so will have to pay the costs. If he is within the EU and has a European health insurance card, then the treatment might be covered depending on what it is. Without it, the costs cannot be charged to the country of origin and so the patient will still have to pay.

Associate
OP
outstanding first post on a computer enthusiast forum (albeit at least you managed to post in GD) - sorry to hear about your condition but why do you want to know if the NHS will fund your treatment? is the treatment you are receiveing at 'home' (where ever that is) substandard? or are you looking to move to the UK?

sorry for the first post related with illness in a technology forum. A company accepted my job application at the end, but now I am face to face with such a problem and when I check the price of the pills (which is going to be taken for whole my life daily), it is somehow determinative for moving to the UK.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
This looks like a bot or a troll looking to start a discussion on health tourists but i will bite because I think there are a lot of misinformation on the subject and i think it's pretty interesting

Whether you are charged or not depends on how long you have been a resident.

OP is not a resident and so will have to pay the costs. If he is within the EU and has a European health insurance card, then the treatment might be covered depending on what it is. Without it, the costs cannot be charged to the country of origin and so the patient will still have to pay.

Well, the situation is little bit complicated... I am a EU citizen, but I am working out of Europe now. And this treatment has already been started out of Europe cause the damage of the liver. I was planning to move to UK and waiting for final decision from a company and last month I got such news about my health... So if I am a permanent employee in UK, I think there should a national insurance by the goverment as many countries provide, and then I could continue to have my treatment there.

Soldato
So if I am a permanent employee in UK, I think there should a national insurance by the goverment as many countries provide, and then I could continue to have my treatment there.

You must be a resident for a certain amount of time even if your residency is to be permanent. This means you will have to pay unless you have a European health insurance card, as you need treatment immediately and cannot wait until you qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom