Women Only Series Created

Soldato
No, it's for women to see, idolize, and then start at a local racetrack, in teh same way little boys see Ronaldo or Beckham, idolize the Premiership, but then start out at their local Junior League teams.... in my understanding, anyway.
They can do that right now. Why do they need to idolize a woman? Why does someone have to be the same sex as you for you to appreciate their achievement and want to emulate what they've done?

Soldato
OP
No, it's for women to see, idolize, and then start at a local racetrack, in teh same way little boys see Ronaldo or Beckham, idolize the Premiership, but then start out at their local Junior League teams.... in my understanding, anyway.

It's not F1 for woman, this isn't meant to be the pinnacle of woman's motor sport. It's a race to prepare woman for F1, I think this is where you getting confused. How many young boys and girls have a idolise GP3 driver and this is the level of competition it will sit at? (probably a bit lower to be honest)

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

I think this is a great idea and will definitely watch it. I hope the cars are sufficiently powerful and are closer to F1 than Formula Renault.

Soldato
It's not F1 for woman, this isn't meant to be the pinnacle of woman's motor sport. It's a race to prepare woman for F1, I think this is where you getting confused. How many young boys and girls have a idolise GP3 driver and this is the level of competition it will sit at? (probably a bit lower to be honest)

It isn't a good way to prepare them for F1 really, because it's lowering the bar compared to GP3, GP2, etc. Most of the F1 drivers are champions already.

If they were F1 material they would already be on the way there and consistently winning in GP2/3. I can't see the first women jumping to F1 from this and quickly finding there is a massive skill gap. Then throwing in the towel after a short time.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I can't see the first women jumping to F1 from this and quickly finding there is a massive skill gap. Then throwing in the towel after a short time.

Well, they're clearly not going to go straight to F1 from this are they? That would be laughable. This seems like it's purely about getting women in who did karting and then couldn't get the funds together for a Formula 4/Formula 3/Formula Renault/Formula Whatever campaign. Then if they do well in this, throw them some cash and see if sponsors are more interested now.

Trouble is, the cash sum that they're talking about is derisory and I don't think sponsors will react in quite the way that the W Series organisers are hoping that they will. But, we'll see.

Caporegime
It'd be easy to get women in F1 just tell teams they have 5 years to train up a driver and allow them to run a third car and have a separate womens drivers championship similar to how Le Mans has different classes of cars.

Soldato
OP
It isn't a good way to prepare them for F1 really, because it's lowering the bar compared to GP3, GP2, etc. Most of the F1 drivers are champions already.

If they were F1 material they would already be on the way there and consistently winning in GP2/3. I can't see the first women jumping to F1 from this and quickly finding there is a massive skill gap. Then throwing in the towel after a short time.
Probably my choice of words trying to get a message through. But yes people aren't going to be going to F1 from this but onto GP3/F2 then to F1. Although Max went straight from Euro F3 to F1 you don't see people skipping GP3/F2 straight to F1. I reckon this will sit under GP3, maybe the same liver as euro F3 or could be even lower.

Soldato
OP
One of the ways to assess the idea is to consider who would watch it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't, seeing as I only really watch a bit of F2 outside F1.

No one really watches the lower series TV wise. Euro F3, British F3 which this series will be comparable to, they still exisxt despite little exposure to those outside of the hardcore motosport fan.

Soldato
OP
So if nobody's watching it and most here seem to agree that it isn't going to do much for the people competing in it, then what is the point of it?
As per my opening post it seems just for the organisers to pat themselves on them back to say how much they are helping rather than targeting the problem. There has just been a team announced that they are fielding an all woman team in next year's daytona 24 hours. They have got Katherine Legge on board who is currently 2nd in the GTD standings.

Back
Top Bottom