Wifey needs a new car but I'm out of suggestions. Help please

Man of Honour
Given she loved her Peugeot, wants a large boot but not in too big a car, how about a 308SW?
Has a 660L boot (bigger than nearly everything from the class above but without the overall car length, I think only the Superb can match it) and a reasonable 130HP Petrol engine. Dunno if as estate could be classed as sexy, but £13k would easily get you a decent trim level like GT Line with reversing camera and front/rear sensors, could help if she's concerned about parking in medium sized cars.
Example here for £10k, obviously could spend more on a newer/lower mileage option but then again might want something a bit better if spending over £10k: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810111390188

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
It's a graco oxford (I refuse to pay stupid money for baby stuff). It's quite long but in the boot of the e92 there's Astra space due to how the boot is over the rear wheels (it's quite wide).
Ah I see, yeh we're not going for a tandem one but a side-by-side twin one which is where it is a little wider, but only 15cm or so wider than yours. I think it is more the ease at which the wife would be able to load the boot by herself at the moment she struggles with our single pram into the F30 rear and it appears mainly due to the hatch shape/size.

Hmm, naah. After 2 years the sub frame on mine came loose, and the interior was plastic so I traded it in. But I had the very standard model, no idea what the higher models are like.
It was real comfortable though.
At 2 years old? Wow!

qashqai? Most reliable car we have owned and is the wifes car...she loves it. We want to change it next year but unsure if we will yet as has been a great car.

Women like minis so something like the countryman? Not sure what your budget gets though.
She's not a fan of the mini in any guise, although does like the fiat 500. Too small and not sturdy enough unfortunately.

Quite!

My partner rejected her Ford Kuga as it was “too big” yet ambles around in my larger e38 7 Series without any issues....
Hahah tell me about it! She used to drive my M5 and my 7 series without any problem at all, and drives my F11 easily but still says her 3 is too big! :D

Given she loved her Peugeot, wants a large boot but not in too big a car, how about a 308SW?
Has a 660L boot (bigger than nearly everything from the class above but without the overall car length, I think only the Superb can match it) and a reasonable 130HP Petrol engine. Dunno if as estate could be classed as sexy, but £13k would easily get you a decent trim level like GT Line with reversing camera and front/rear sensors, could help if she's concerned about parking in medium sized cars.
Example here for £10k, obviously could spend more on a newer/lower mileage option but then again might want something a bit better if spending over £10k: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810111390188
Thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather she was in something sturdy and solid - my old bias pushes that away from the French cars... although I'm not sure if that is an issue any more these days. All I know for sure is German cars are, on the whole, rock solid and I trust them to protect my family.

She likes the TT but not much else, although I'm not sure I've shown her a sportback A3, are they still a Golf as that would be my preference instead of an A3.

Out of interest why does she hate the BMW, as that might give some further guidance?
She finds it heavier to drive than her 207 understandably, but she is much more used to that now so not a problem. She doesn't like the way it looks and found it's size too big which I say is more down to her confidence of driving a new car (her 207 was her 1st and only car for the previous 5/6 years) as she is a great driver and very competent in all cars she's driven.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
To expand on HangTime's Peugeot suggestion, I am wrong thinking French cars are still weak and squish-able compared to the Germans/Japs etc. these days? Or are they just as good?

Soldato
Ah I see, yeh we're not going for a tandem one but a side-by-side twin one which is where it is a little wider, but only 15cm or so wider than yours. I think it is more the ease at which the wife would be able to load the boot by herself at the moment she struggles with our single pram into the F30 rear and it appears mainly due to the hatch shape/size.

The only problem with that style is the width for going through doors. We went tandem for ease (although with a 2 and an almost 5 year old i think we have used it maybe 3 or 4 times (waste of money but he ho).

Man of Honour
We're looking for a new family car and my wife just simply refuses to drive anything too large. I can understand that but to her 'too large' is anything larger than a small hatchback. Unfortunately the kids are getting a bit too big for the legroom in the back on a small hatch but she doesn't seem to care about that, despite protests from the kids. We've had to walk away from several quite interesting cars because they aren't a hatchback or small SUV. The only exceptions to these have been quite prestigious cars that she likes the badge on. Then she'll happily disregard the size. So it's either a small hatchback or a massive premium badge car. Given our requirements I felt that a Skoda Kodiaq would be a fantastic family car. But it's too large for her unless it has a Merecdes badge on. Sadly it doesn't have that badge.

I think we've settled on (probably) an A3 or if I have my way then at least the S3 so I enjoy it when driving (and I'll be doing 90% of the driving).

Caporegime
Size wise is it because of width or length?

Something like the Hyundai Tucson, the Evoque or (less sexy) CRV are all a fair chunk shorter than a 3 Series, but may be a few cm wider than it depending on how it's measured.

I guess it depends on what she considers sexy...

EDIT: Just noticed the budget - assumed it was more considering the discussions of BMWs. Tucson (or whatever the previous was called - ix???), Rav 4 etc.

Soldato
To expand on HangTime's Peugeot suggestion, I am wrong thinking French cars are still weak and squish-able compared to the Germans/Japs etc. these days? Or are they just as good?

Definitely. Even the 207 would be pretty safe. The French were the first to achieve a 5 star NCAP rating (Renault Laguna IIRC) and you'll find they're well up there - certainly not flimsy when it comes to occupant protection.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
The only problem with that style is the width for going through doors. We went tandem for ease (although with a 2 and an almost 5 year old i think we have used it maybe 3 or 4 times (waste of money but he ho).
Yeh we're between two at the moment which aren't too wide, one is the same width as our current single pram actually (it's designed very cleverly) so hopefully won't have too many issues.

We're looking for a new family car and my wife just simply refuses to drive anything too large. I can understand that but to her 'too large' is anything larger than a small hatchback. Unfortunately the kids are getting a bit too big for the legroom in the back on a small hatch but she doesn't seem to care about that, despite protests from the kids. We've had to walk away from several quite interesting cars because they aren't a hatchback or small SUV. The only exceptions to these have been quite prestigious cars that she likes the badge on. Then she'll happily disregard the size. So it's either a small hatchback or a massive premium badge car. Given our requirements I felt that a Skoda Kodiaq would be a fantastic family car. But it's too large for her unless it has a Merecdes badge on. Sadly it doesn't have that badge.

I think we've settled on (probably) an A3 or if I have my way then at least the S3 so I enjoy it when driving (and I'll be doing 90% of the driving).
If you'll be doing 90% of the driving then why does your wife's preference hold more weight than yours?

VW T-roc? Although I don't think you can get one in budget as they only came out this year.
Very nice. We don't have to buy until April next year so have time for prices to drop, also 13k/price of the bimma was the wife's limit and doesn't mean I can't spend more without telling her if I think it's worth it :D

if she likes the 500 how about the 500x?
Likes it but it's not a contender as it needs to be a solid car.

Tbh not sure why you would want something sturdy/solid to protect your family since that's literally the opposite of what makes a car safe. I suggest looking at cars and their euro ncap scores. Imho those tests are a bit debatable, but it's downright better than the "german made == reliable" mantra...

Also french is bad but fiat is ok? Let's get our stereotypes right come on :)
Obviously the car will need to rate highly within its NCAP category, but there are limits to their tests. I'd rather a strong, well built car that can take a pounding than a cheaply made potential pancake.

I know BMW and Mercs, I know how much of an impact they can take without incident and I've seen how badly damaged other cars can get from the same. Solid/sturdy is my preference.

Regarding the Fiat, you've misread me when you have thought I've said they're are a contender.

Size wise is it because of width or length?

Something like the Hyundai Tucson, the Evoque or (less sexy) CRV are all a fair chunk shorter than a 3 Series, but may be a few cm wider than it depending on how it's measured.

I guess it depends on what she considers sexy...

EDIT: Just noticed the budget - assumed it was more considering the discussions of BMWs. Tucson (or whatever the previous was called - ix???), Rav 4 etc.
Size wise is more the bulk rather than length/width but I'd say width is more an issue than length. As long as visibility is good then she'll be fine driving anything once she gets more confidence in whatever it is.

I have a 5 Touring so we have a "family" car already so don't need anything too big, just something comfortable and safe, with a decent sized boot that is easily loadable.

Man of Honour
I know you've ruled out the Civic anyway but don't go thinking Jap necessarily means safe, if you look at NCAP ratings it does not make pretty reading, doesn't even get 5*.

Regarding the women not wanting anything too big scenario (stop sniggering at the back), I face[d?] a similar scenario and have gradually got her to accept bigger and bigger cars, I find having tech like parking sensors etc helps up to a point although I don't think I'll ever get her to own a 5-series / E Class / Superb sized car.

Man of Honour
If you'll be doing 90% of the driving then why does your wife's preference hold more weight than yours?

Because if she simply won't drive it then it wrecks my life and career as I have to pick up that 10% slack driving the kids when I'm supposed to be working.

Man of Honour
He's ruled that out on the grounds of safety (fair enough), I do think it fits all the other criteria though, when it comes to compact estates it is less well known than say the Octavia, but has a bigger boot, arguably better fits the 'sexy' look with the right trim level, and is cheaper too.

Edit: How about a Leon ST:

-Excellent NCAP scores for the Leon, better than the Golf (and 3 series for that matter) for child protection, in fact I think it is literally the highest rated car of all time for that at 92%
-Boot size at 587L is decent for the overall size of car
-Decent range of petrol engines (be careful as I think the older 1.4TSI had some issues)
-Sexy is debatable but probably considered more so than the Golf due to added flair

Might face a slight challenge on budget, as you'll be wanting at least the newer 150BHP engine and one of the tech trim levels, it looks like you wouldn't have many to choose from at £13k.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom