PS4 Modding -- ''cap in hand''.

Associate
I dislike posting this here, but there isn't a trade or buy and sell forum. Please give this thread the boot with my blessing if it's not suitable.

I was interested in the thorough rebuild given to the PS4 Pro by Hothicron on the PS4 Pro reddit. I could perhaps manage the HDD, but the other changes (fan, liquid metal and so on) seem beyond me. I’m awful at anything technical.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/9lo4wp/visual_tour_ps4_pro_liquid_metal_paste_thermal/

I had a chat with Hothicron in the US (who’s a very nice man as well as a good modder) and apparently there's no formal way to ''commission'' modding if you can't do it yourself (the custom PCs of the parent website here seem to be an exception), but I wondered if it’s feasible to ask someone else in the gaming community to do the modding – at the very least put better thermal paste and pads on and a better fan.

The project is still on paper, it will take some time to get the cash together, but I thought I’d ask ahead of time to see if anyone might chip in in the UK. Obviously I wouldn’t actually ask anyone to do anything until I have the cash in hand. Deposits and layaways are in my opinion an infallible source of trouble.

My sincerest good wishes to you all,

PG

Caporegime
I dislike posting this here, but there isn't a trade or buy and sell forum. Please give this thread the boot with my blessing if it's not suitable.

I was interested in the thorough rebuild given to the PS4 Pro by Hothicron on the PS4 Pro reddit. I could perhaps manage the HDD, but the other changes (fan, liquid metal and so on) seem beyond me. I’m awful at anything technical.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/9lo4wp/visual_tour_ps4_pro_liquid_metal_paste_thermal/

I had a chat with Hothicron in the US (who’s a very nice man as well as a good modder) and apparently there's no formal way to ''commission'' modding if you can't do it yourself (the custom PCs of the parent website here seem to be an exception), but I wondered if it’s feasible to ask someone else in the gaming community to do the modding – at the very least put better thermal paste and pads on and a better fan.

The project is still on paper, it will take some time to get the cash together, but I thought I’d ask ahead of time to see if anyone might chip in in the UK. Obviously I wouldn’t actually ask anyone to do anything until I have the cash in hand. Deposits and layaways are in my opinion an infallible source of trouble.

PG

SSD is biggest waste of money ever. it makes next to little improvement vs a hybrid drive. and over time the performance deteriorates badly to the point it's worse then a mechanical drive.

buy a hybrid drive and save yourself £££

as for modifying it. i don't feel the need to do all that crap sony consoles last forever.

Associate
OP
Fortunately the very loud one was only borrowed! It's not very easy to swap several when you live up here in the Far North and I intended to get a new one (my first outright) modded to prevent any trouble in the future.

As perplexing as it seems, I'll stick to my guns as I found the noise, personally, highly annoying even close up. You deserve all the credit in the world for being the voice of sense and reason!

Soldato

PG

Here is a post i made on Reddit some time ago.

Installed a SSD in my PS4 Pro - Some timed results

renderTimingPixel.png

Installed a 1TB Crucial SSD because i hate loading times, and i can always use the drive in my PC if i want too.

These times are from from pressing "continue" to loading the save. And i did each load 3 times on the SSD and the Stock drive and 5 on the SSHD.

The Witcher 3 (Stock Drive) 1:32 1:33 1:34

The Witcher 3 (Firecuda External 3.5" 7200RPM SSHD) 1:19 1:13 1:12 1:12 1:11

The Witcher 3 (Crucial MX500 SSD) 1:10 1:09 1:09

Horizon Zero Dawn (Stock Drive) 1:23 1:26 1:24

Horizon Zero Dawn (Firecuda External 3.5" 7200RPM SSHD) 1:01 1:02 0:58 0:56 0:54

Horizon Zero Dawn (Crucial MX500 SSD) 0:44 0:44 0:44

Caporegime
I'd use an SSD in a heartbeat even to shave a few seconds but I was concerned about the PS4 OS not having a TRIM function or is that entirely redundant these days as the disk controller on the SSD itself handles all that gubbins?

Don
I'd use an SSD in a heartbeat even to shave a few seconds but I was concerned about the PS4 OS not having a TRIM function or is that entirely redundant these days as the disk controller on the SSD itself handles all that gubbins?

Based on experience with my 2TB HDD, PS4 OS won't let the drive get anywhere near full anyway - it complains and won't let things download with over 100GB left available - so will naturally act as some overprovisioning for an SSD.

Given how well USB drives work on the PS4, I'm tempted to swap the internal drive for a 500gb "affordable" SSD to hold 3 or 4 most played games and them plug the 2TB into a USB caddy and use that for everything else

Associate
OP
My sincerest thanks: the statistics rather confirm my view. I am inclined to agree about the noise. Hence the inquiry: I believe Thermal Grizzly and the other relevant products are easily obtained, but I really need someone else to handle the work. I am unfortunately extraordinarily clumsy and generally incompetent.

Fortunately the reddit post gave instructions for one method. I wonder about the scale of fees: if you enjoy building computers from scratch it would be a little money. I don't like hawking for trade over much but will make another stab at it. I would be immensely grateful.

Soldato
I don't mean this in any offensive way but is English your first language? It seems as though your posts are running through a translator as you use some really odd sentences. Or it's most likely just me..

I've had 4 pros now all with varying degrees of noise. My current one seems to the the quietest (FIFA 19 bundle) and the loudest was my white destiny 2 one.

Soldato
Loud enough to wake someone up who is in another room?

Loud enough to keep them awake for sure and I could imagine it might be able to wake a light sleeper. It's audible over headphones and more than once my other half has come in from another room to ask why it's so noisy.

I've opened mine up to clear out any dust (although there was very little in there) and it made no difference so I can understand my the mods are tempting for some people.

For me it's rarely more than a minor annoyance although it does make you appreciate the great thermal design of the XB1X.

Associate
OP
Once again, many thanks for so many replies.

Noxia: I am not surprised that you noticed something subtly wrong. Very observant of you, although I am a native English speaker and live in the Highlands of Scotland.

Anyone who has much to do with me soon notices that I sound, bluntly, odd. It's probably the result of my medical condition (Asperger's Syndrome). It often results in what one textbook very accurately describes as a superficially good command of English combined with ''unusual'' (to put it politely) semantic content, anything between pseudo-Victorian prose and ''word salad'' depending on the severity of the condition.

Caporegime
Loud enough to keep them awake for sure and I could imagine it might be able to wake a light sleeper. It's audible over headphones and more than once my other half has come in from another room to ask why it's so noisy.

I've opened mine up to clear out any dust (although there was very little in there) and it made no difference so I can understand my the mods are tempting for some people.

For me it's rarely more than a minor annoyance although it does make you appreciate the great thermal design of the XB1X.

yours is definitely poorly put together or defective then.

i can hear mine in the same room but barely. definitely not over headphones.

i suppose all it needs is a clean up and proper application of paste and better thermal pads for the memory chips.

Soldato
Once again, many thanks for so many replies.

Noxia: I am not surprised that you noticed something subtly wrong. Very observant of you, although I am a native English speaker and live in the Highlands of Scotland.

Anyone who has much to do with me soon notices that I sound, bluntly, odd. It's probably the result of my medical condition (Asperger's Syndrome). It often results in what one textbook very accurately describes as a superficially good command of English combined with ''unusual'' (to put it politely) semantic content, anything between pseudo-Victorian prose and ''word salad'' depending on the severity of the condition.

I too have the Asperger's . As in properly diagnosed, not an online test that says you're on the spectrum because you don't enjoy social gatherings and you want all your drink cans to face the same way in the fridge .

I was going to place autism as my second guess :)

I haz 4090!
Don
I changed the thermal paste in my pro over the weekend. I was sick of it sounding like a 747 on takeoff thrust when playing Spiderman. It's extremely easy to do, you only need a Philips head screwdriver and some torx bits. Obviously thermal paste too. Takes about 15 minutes. I can still hear it when playing Spiderman, but I'd say it's knocked 50% off the noise levels.

Back
Top Bottom