• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

IF you buy a new 10x gpu for VR take heed!. This will save hassle!

Soldato
getting my tv going at 4k is proving to be a pita!. long email warning feel free to ignore

TLDR if you want to buy a 10xx gpu and want to use VR with a HDR 4k screen buy a gpu with twin hdmi.
--------------------------------
I have a 4k hdr gaming TV and an oculus rift. the rift is set up through the HDMI and my gtx 980 was through a single channel dvi to hdmi adapter - which was fine as it could not power 4k anyway!. untill i bought a shiny new 1080ti.(but one with a single hdmi port on)

I bought a passive displayport : hdmi adapter but that also does not work at 4k. it also does not work on the rift (possibly because i use an extension cable as well)

so i bought this from elsewhere!

note it states "The Rainforest Basics HDMI to DVI adapter cable meets the latest HDMI standard, which means it considerably expands bandwidth up to 18 Gbps, offers 4K@50/60 (2160p) video resolution (four times more clarity than 1080p/60), and supports the wide-angle theatrical 21:9 video aspect ratio."

i plugged in booted pc and all good whilst loading, i could see the load screen etc, but the moment it got into windows and 4k.................. no signal received. it is worse than my current single channel dvi to hdmi cable. that works its just some of the colour info is lost so its too yellow.

i did some googleing and it turns out it was never going to work.

"Single-link cables and hardware support up to only 1,920×1,200 resolution, but dual-link DVI supports 2560×1600. DVI is capable of 144hz refresh rates, so it’s a good choice if you have a 1080p 144hz monitor. This is especially true for gamers who have an FPS that is higher than 60. If you want 4K, though, you’ll need to go with DisplayPort or HDMI. Just like the other cables can be adapted to DVI, DVI can be adapted to VGA with a passive adapter."

(so the rainforest advert is wrong! i have set up a return).

so now next up is an active displayport to hdmi but even then it isnt simple. if i pay £15 i can get a 4k/60hz adapter which will work to 5m which is good... HOWEVER i have also now learned that 99% of them are only to hdmi 2.0 spec and do not carry the HDR information. Considering i paid a pretty large premium for a hdr tv this is obviously not good,

hdr capable DP to hdmi adapters are thin on the ground and in the region of £30 to £50

All of this could have been avoided had i of bought the MSI 1080ti which was only £20 more than the gigabyte anyway AND came with destiny 2 and the 1st 2 expansions. (because that has 2xhdmi)

I have come to the conclusion .... displayport is a pita, dvi is not good enough. I really hope the new VR link takes off. that can carry a huge bandwidth and also provides plenty of power as well, so can easily run any adapter you want on it.

my last chance is to forget the 4k tv, and use that for hdmi, and hope that the dvi to hdmi dongle which came with the rift dk2 works on the rift cv1. (it does... however the question mark is it it will work over the standard 3m supplied rift cable coupled with the 2m extension i have, that seems more hit and miss). I have mailed my mate who still has his DK2 to see if i can borrow his dvi:hdmi adapter for the rift.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
competitor linking....you'd better delete this thread
oops sorry totally forgot about that will edit now

because it was not for a competing product it didnt cross my mind. done now. the rest of the post i think is relevant however, i wish i had seen it and i would have got the msi card (from here) when it was £600 had i known.

Thanks for the heads up

Associate
not using my passive one it doesnt...... i presume your adapter is active? do you use extension cables?

thanks for the info

I bought 2. 1 cost me £5.85 and doesnt work with the rift however the second one which cost me £8.99 works fine even with an extension.

The one that works is :

CSL - 4K Ultra HD Displayport to HDMI adapter with audio transmission

Soldato
It would have saved you a lot of Heartache if you just asked in the VR section of the forum because the £8.99 one has been recommended for ages. @hyperseven has been suggesting that 4K HDMI to DP adapter for a long time now.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah, that's what I do - dp to 3440x1440 monitor, dp > HDmi to rift, HDmi to 1080p monitor. Works fine and I have extention cables on the rift.

Soldato
As others have said you don't need 2 hdmi's.

I have hdmi going to the tv.

Rift uses cheap dp to hdmi adapter with cheap 2 metre exstension just fine.

The guys in VR sectiom are very helpful and will tell you which ones.

Soldato
OP
Thanks again for the advice. The dk2 DVI HDMI adapter almost did it. Seems fine without my extension but with it get sparkles and hmd cut outs so I have bought the 8.99 adapter suggested above. Will arrive tomorrow. I will play racing games and elite tonight so no need for extension :)
(I still wish I had got the MSI 1080ti with two hdmi for £600 with destiny 2 however)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom