******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Wow that is incredible! :eek: Well I can only hope that continues I guess!... :p

I've sunk about 85+ hrs into Elite, which is quite a large amount for me - I come back to it every now and again, but I end up playing on it for a couple of hours, realising why I stopped playing in the first place, and then stop again :p I just saw the patch notes on their upcoming update at the end of the month, and it doesn't look like they're focused enough on adding more things to do :( It's a shame, as it's a beautiful game.

That was rude and unnecessary.

I think I asked a legitimate question and you ignored it. They added only one significant gameplay update since Arena Commander and Star Marine in 2014/2015 (mining, this year, behind a $120 paywall). That's 3, almost 4 years of ships, ship concepts, alpha "tech" (such as procedural planets), a tank etc... At least Elite has a working gameplay loop, the foundation of any game, from Minecraft to the Witcher 3. Developers normally start with it and then add the graphics, the SC team has chosen a backward approach and that probably explains the never-ending bugs which plagued even this year's presentation (like every previous one).

Soldato
I'm still hopeful something good will come of SC even all these years later. I watched a video the other night and the Devs were creaming themselves over the habs aka spawn points and the metro system.

Getting up and going to work isn't a game! :p

Tell that to the folks that love a bit of Euro Truck Simulator :p

Soldato
Always good to drop into this thread after Citcon or major patch to see the same idiots making the same tired arguments about SC.

Its as if they actually think their views matter in some way, or are going to somehow take away all the money CIG have made so far.

We get it guys, for what ever reason you want to believe its all a big con, we can take your arguments as read at this point.

Soldato
I think I asked a legitimate question and you ignored it. They added only one significant gameplay update since Arena Commander and Star Marine in 2014/2015 (mining, this year, behind a $120 paywall). That's 3, almost 4 years of ships, ship concepts, alpha "tech" (such as procedural planets), a tank etc... At least Elite has a working gameplay loop, the foundation of any game, from Minecraft to the Witcher 3. Developers normally start with it and then add the graphics, the SC team has chosen a backward approach and that probably explains the never-ending bugs which plagued even this year's presentation (like every previous one).

ArmA 3 was a bit like you wanted to be. The bad part is that about 5 years after it was released is still a mess. No one bother to actually fix the technical or "ergonomic" aspects.

Games in development should be seen as either a chance for the community to actively participate in their development or to at least play around a bit with the limited functionality they offer. Some aspects of the gameplay are dependent on others which in turn are dependent on technical parts that the devs are working on. You can't have all the gamplay 1st when the tools for making that possible aren't available.

Soldato
Always good to drop into this thread after Citcon or major patch to see the same idiots making the same tired arguments about SC.

Its as if they actually think their views matter in some way, or are going to somehow take away all the money CIG have made so far.

We get it guys, for what ever reason you want to believe its all a big con, we can take your arguments as read at this point.

That's a bit harsh isn't it? Can you really blame people for not buying into all of this? Calling them idiots isn't right to be honest. We're not the ones spending money on false promises. At the moment everyone in this thread is getting excited about a 20fps demo of technology, and some videos. Development has gone on for years now, far more than most other projects. Initial release was stated as 2014 on the Kickstarter. We're four years on and the game is still in development. I know you know all of this, but you've posted up calling the people that aren't believing in the project idiots. What many of us that haven't invested wonder is: "Why are people still putting money into this when the same cycle of videos, technology and promises comes back around and around every year?" I'd like to know that. Because sure, the videos are more flashy and fancy, but does anyone actually believe that they're going to make the release anytime soon? How long has a barely playable tech demo been around for the playerbase?

Associate
That's a bit harsh isn't it? Can you really blame people for not buying into all of this? Calling them idiots isn't right to be honest. We're not the ones spending money on false promises. At the moment everyone in this thread is getting excited about a 20fps demo of technology, and some videos. Development has gone on for years now, far more than most other projects. Initial release was stated as 2014 on the Kickstarter. We're four years on and the game is still in development. I know you know all of this, but you've posted up calling the people that aren't believing in the project idiots. What many of us that haven't invested wonder is: "Why are people still putting money into this when the same cycle of videos, technology and promises comes back around and around every year?" I'd like to know that. Because sure, the videos are more flashy and fancy, but does anyone actually believe that they're going to make the release anytime soon? How long has a barely playable tech demo been around for the playerbase?

No...I agree with atpbx (apart from calling them idiots).....the reason for that, is the people come on here with a smug attitude, effectively telling anyone that is looking forward to this game is a mug and how sure they are that this game will never come out....if you believe that, thats fine.....then why come on here and tell the people that are still interested your negative opinion that they dont care for? If I wasnt interested in a game...I wouldnt be in its forum thread bad mouthing it....I'd ignore it an look at games im interested in.

I dont agree with all of their practises....selling ships for a rediculous amount of money for example....but for a brand new company started from scratch to build one of THE most technically complex games ever created, 5 or 6 years is no way near enough and think they are doing a pretty decent job with progression and implementing complex tech.

Soldato
No...I agree with atpbx (apart from calling them idiots).....the reason for that, is the people come on here with a smug attitude, effectively telling anyone that is looking forward to this game is a mug and how sure they are that this game will never come out....if you believe that, thats fine.....then why come on here and tell the people that are still interested your negative opinion that they dont care for? If I wasnt interested in a game...I wouldnt be in its forum thread bad mouthing it....I'd ignore it an look at games im interested in.

I dont agree with all of their practises....selling ships for a rediculous amount of money for example....but for a brand new company started from scratch to build one of THE most technically complex games ever created, 5 or 6 years is no way near enough and think they are doing a pretty decent job with progression and implementing complex tech.

That's great, and I applaud them for their vision. But where this project differs to others is that they're getting their funding from the community, not a publisher. In most situations funding for this project would have been pulled by now because their development track record is becoming something of an industry joke. Sure, they have ambitious ideas for the game, but who is regulating this and ensuring that they deliver on their promises, and what's stopping them from shifting those ideas and promises into something different (like they did with the engine overhaul when they realised that they couldn't do what they wanted to with the current engine)? I see their videos, I've watched them and I've also seen equally impressive videos showcasing game technology in the past. But releases for the games that these videos are for have been and gone, and during that life cycle Star Citizen is just being delayed over and over with new reasons (excuses).

Who's smug about it by the way? Those of us that haven't invested in this because we feel that, currently, it's a monumental waste of time? I am glad I didn't back this when I thought about doing so years ago. It makes me happy that I haven't actually just given them money to fritter away on whatever they feel like doing next with nobody being held accountable. I don't feel like I can hold that over you, but I can say something about it and it does boggle my mind that even after all these years people still think that it's acceptable to have money invested in this project for such a little return. If you feel that this is smug, that's down to you, not me. Perhaps it's because you feel a tad annoyed that you've invested money into a tech demo and what people are saying holds some truth? That you were promised a game four years ago and have nothing yet? Sure, it might have been only £30 - £50, but that's YOUR £30 - £50. Or perhaps there's another reason. I don't know, I can't speak for you.

Ultimately though, don't you think that some of us can and should be skeptical about this? I think that those of us with a differing opinion to yours should be allowed to come into a thread for the game and provide our point of view. If it isn't done constructively, then sure, that's not right, but if I come in here saying "Well, CIG have dropped the ball again, development has been put back once again because now they want to rework the engine, ffs this project is becoming a joke because it's going down the vapourware route" it should be acceptable for me to say that. I'm just as invested in you are in keeping an eye on the project, only I haven't paid for the privilege. But that's my choice. I should still be able to say what I feel about the game, good or bad. And lets face it, their track record has provided far more bad than good. If it annoys you that some of us are pointing that out, well, I can't change that.

Caporegime
I am an original backer (2012) to the tune of $60.

I installed 3.3 Alpha last night and attempted a quick go to see how far we've come.

First the game got stuck on a loading screen.

So I logged out and tried again.

This time I was spawned outside a big space station. I could look around with the mouse, but neither the keyboard or controller moved me anywhere. I could see my oxygen depleting and that was about it....So I logged out again and reloaded and....got stuck on a loading screen.

I'm sure all the money they are making is going far: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-13-six-years-later-star-citizen-is-still-raking-it-in

Soldato

I installed 3.3 Alpha last night and attempted a quick go to see how far we've come.

This time I was spawned outside a big space station. I could look around with the mouse, but neither the keyboard or controller moved me anywhere. I could see my oxygen depleting and that was about it....So I logged out again and reloaded and....got stuck on a loading screen.

I'm sure all the money they are making is going far: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-13-six-years-later-star-citizen-is-still-raking-it-in

When was the last time you gave the game a go @VincentHanna? How does your experience last night make you feel about spending $60 back in 2012?

Caporegime
About a year ago, Alpha 3.0

That wasn't a great experience either....

When I was younger I liked Wing Commander, but I really loved WC: Privateer. When they first pitched it, I was essentially hoping for a very modern version of that.

I've not been following the game very closely really, but I'm aware of these supposed 'milestones', but my experience is that the game still seems years off being fit for release, and any game that is going to be approaching 10 years before an official retail release candidate is likely not to live up to the hype.

Soldato
Ummn a lot of what was shown in those videos will be out on 3.3.5

Soldato

Not had any of those issues .

Associate
That's great, and I applaud them for their vision. But where this project differs to others is that they're getting their funding from the community, not a publisher. In most situations funding for this project would have been pulled by now because their development track record is becoming something of an industry joke. Sure, they have ambitious ideas for the game, but who is regulating this and ensuring that they deliver on their promises, and what's stopping them from shifting those ideas and promises into something different (like they did with the engine overhaul when they realised that they couldn't do what they wanted to with the current engine)? I see their videos, I've watched them and I've also seen equally impressive videos showcasing game technology in the past. But releases for the games that these videos are for have been and gone, and during that life cycle Star Citizen is just being delayed over and over with new reasons (excuses).

Who's smug about it by the way? Those of us that haven't invested in this because we feel that, currently, it's a monumental waste of time? I am glad I didn't back this when I thought about doing so years ago. It makes me happy that I haven't actually just given them money to fritter away on whatever they feel like doing next with nobody being held accountable. I don't feel like I can hold that over you, but I can say something about it and it does boggle my mind that even after all these years people still think that it's acceptable to have money invested in this project for such a little return. If you feel that this is smug, that's down to you, not me. Perhaps it's because you feel a tad annoyed that you've invested money into a tech demo and what people are saying holds some truth? That you were promised a game four years ago and have nothing yet? Sure, it might have been only £30 - £50, but that's YOUR £30 - £50. Or perhaps there's another reason. I don't know, I can't speak for you.

Ultimately though, don't you think that some of us can and should be skeptical about this? I think that those of us with a differing opinion to yours should be allowed to come into a thread for the game and provide our point of view. If it isn't done constructively, then sure, that's not right, but if I come in here saying "Well, CIG have dropped the ball again, development has been put back once again because now they want to rework the engine, ffs this project is becoming a joke because it's going down the vapourware route" it should be acceptable for me to say that. I'm just as invested in you are in keeping an eye on the project, only I haven't paid for the privilege. But that's my choice. I should still be able to say what I feel about the game, good or bad. And lets face it, their track record has provided far more bad than good. If it annoys you that some of us are pointing that out, well, I can't change that.

I wasnt commenting about you personally (was only replying to your message)....I was commenting about certain people that come on here and call people that are interested in here, as some kind of cult.

With regards to your comment about their funding being pulled, because a traditional publisher wouldnt like the way they are going about development..I personally feel is a good thing.....we are so used to the same old rehashes of the same old games, on the same engines each year, so that publishers can make quick money from the same old gamers, that someone breaking that mould and trying to make something special should be applauded, even if some of their actions along the way are to be criticised.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wasnt commenting about you personally (was only replying to your message)....I was commenting about certain people that come on here and call people that are interested in here, as some kind of cult...

Oh yeah I got that, I was just asking about the smugness. I know how some have come across in this thread, myself included in the past, but I was just trying to add balance :)

Associate
Oh yeah I got that, I was just asking about the smugness. I know how some have come across in this thread, myself included in the past, but I was just trying to add balance :)

How I see it currently....is a comparison to Cyberpunk 2077....they orginally announced it in 2012...its a huge open world game, but I would say not nearly as technical as SC....and as soon as they finished The Witcher 3, they moved all of their 300 odd staff with established work flows to work on it.

We didnt see ANY gameplay on that till just over a month or so ago and its not out till sometime next year....no date announced...so game development for complex games just takes its time....the only issue with Star Citizen is that we all get to see how its progressing as it goes along and people criticise it and call it vapourware....but then I guess thats the price you pay for getting your customers to fund it rather than men/women in suits in greedy corporations.

Associate
How I see it currently....is a comparison to Cyberpunk 2077....they orginally announced it in 2012...its a huge open world game, but I would say not nearly as technical as SC....and as soon as they finished The Witcher 3, they moved all of their 300 odd staff with established work flows to work on it.

We didnt see ANY gameplay on that till just over a month or so ago and its not out till sometime next year....no date announced...so game development for complex games just takes its time....the only issue with Star Citizen is that we all get to see how its progressing as it goes along and people criticise it and call it vapourware....but then I guess thats the price you pay for getting your customers to fund it rather than men/women in suits in greedy corporations.

This, both games had to create technologies for they're visions/games that didn't exist already. The difference between cd project red and sc is that sc had to start a company from scratch they had no previous engines or tech to build upon, they had to build a company infrastructure from the ground up.

Soldato
This, both games had to create technologies for they're visions/games that didn't exist already. The difference between cd project red and sc is that sc had to start a company from scratch they had no previous engines or tech to build upon, they had to build a company infrastructure from the ground up.

Pretty sure they had engines to build upon...

Back
Top Bottom