Issues with people messaging me having changes from iphone to android.

Associate
Hi all,

My iphone died at the weekend and i replaced it with an honor 10. I bought it sim free and just transferred it to the new phone. Since then i have had friends have issues messaging me.

Those with iphones are sending imessages that I am not receiving. If they then choose to send a text it arrives ok. Is there something i need to do that will change how others send messages to me since moving from my iphone so it doesnt default to imessages anymore?

Edited to add: they dont get error messages stating the imessage hasnt been delivered

Soldato
As it says, "iMessage is an Apple messaging system that works between Apple products. The messaging is a free service that does not use the data limits set by a telco for normal messaging. iMessages can be sent to and from Apple computers in addition to the iOS devices. Those messages are not available to non-Apple devices."

Bit like facetime - its how Apple works to trap people!

Soldato
As above, its a horrible/clever trap to keep folks locked to their devices. Can't even say how many folks I've helped with this issue and virtually all of them blamed Android at one point before realising the truth.

Associate
OP
Agreed, quite unbelievable OP had to ask the question.

Maybe for phone bores who have nothing better than to do than research phones and masturbate over the latest tech this isn't an issue but for those in the real world with social lives and more worthwhile interests how should I automatically know I need to un-register when I never registered in the first place?

Man of Honour
Maybe for phone bores who have nothing better than to do than research phones and masturbate over the latest tech this isn't an issue but for those in the real world with social lives and more worthwhile interests how should I automatically know I need to un-register when I never registered in the first place?

You really should go back to using Apple products.

Caporegime

Didn't realise having a social life and worthwhile interests made you ignorant. Your iphone was using your number for imessage, hardly rocket science.

VKONGJY.png

I assume you were too busy having a social life to use google either?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204270

"This can happen if you used iMessage on your iPhone and then transferred your SIM card or phone number to a non-Apple phone (like an Android, Windows, or BlackBerry phone). If you didn't turn off or deactivate iMessage before switching to a non-Apple phone, other iOS devices will still try to use iMessage to send text messages to your phone number."

Last edited:
Soldato
This place is turning into an absolute cesspit, there was absolutely no reason to be rude to the OP. A simple answer to what you found a simple question would have sufficed. What have you gained from being rude, except for some false sense of superiority that you know something they didn't?

Yeah, the OP could have just Googled for the answer but I fail to believe everyone deriding the OP have never asked a simple question in their lifetime.

Associate
Someone saying it was unbelievable that they had to ask the question did come across like a snide dig to me. The retort was harsh but somewhat justified!

Man of Honour
except for some false sense of superiority that you know something they didn't?

Honestly the only person who has presented from some perspective of superiority is the OP's response casting aspersions at people's worth. Some of the earlier replies were a bit unhelpful bordering on rude but I'm pretty sure they weren't out of some sense of getting one over on any one.

Quite frankly I had intended to post something along the lines of google it when I first read the first post as it seemed incredulous to me that someone wasn't aware of the differences in that respect between normal SMS and the Apple ecosystem but then thought on reflection that maybe they were a younger person who hadn't experienced the development and progress of the different technologies over time or an older person who only more recently embraced it or something like that and hence weren't as aware as I was and while I was still thinking of a suitable response things kind of kicked off hah.

Having lived through what is an extraordinary progress of technology during the 80s and 90s and by proximity having some experience of what it was like just before that I often wonder what the perspective is of someone who was born around 2000 or later - I can't even imagine it.

Soldato
As it says, "iMessage is an Apple messaging system that works between Apple products. The messaging is a free service that does not use the data limits set by a telco for normal messaging. iMessages can be sent to and from Apple computers in addition to the iOS devices. Those messages are not available to non-Apple devices."

Bit like facetime - its how Apple works to trap people!

There’s no trapping involved. iMessage is very easy to turn off either on your device or via the link supplied in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom