Using liquid temperature to determine fan speed

Soldato
Planning a project with a 360 and 240 rad with ML120 fans for a delidded 8700K, VRMs and gtx1080 (placeholder card until 7nm).

Never run fan curve off liquid temp before, but it seems like the most sensible metric, because it directly correlates with the total heat being generated, and will result in smoother fan curves and hopefully less unnecessary fan noise.

Looking for advice on how to set up the fan curves, they’re PWM being controlled by the motherboard. So I’m after advice on how I should set up temperature to fan speed percentage plot points.

Anyone do this, and what speeds are you running for what temps.

Associate
My fans start off at 0% then when the water temp reaches 30c they start (I have to set to 30% fan speed otherwise they wont start) then every 3c my fans go 5% higher till they reach 50% (that keeps temps in check for me)

Associate
I have mine at 30C fans go to 700rpm then they go to 1000rpm at 37C and to 100% 1400rpm) at 40C. Normally my setup keeps the temps around 35C.

But it all depends on how your WC setup works and what noise level/temperature you want. My previous setup required 1400rpm at 38C so it was considerably louder. But I didn't want to go higher with temps.

Soldato
OP
Thanks gents.

I appreciate every setup will differ, and need balancing, what I really wanted was a baseline to go from, and you’ve done that perfectly.

I’ll do some stress testing and go from there. I’m going for a quiet setup this time around so I’ll happily keep fan speeds conservative at the expense of a few degrees, as long as I can maintain the clocks I want.

Any experience with the Maximus X formula? I’m ditching my fan control setup in exchange for the onboard functionality; it looks quite good and I generally like ASUS software, so I’m hoping it’ll do the job nicely.

Associate
Thanks gents.

I appreciate every setup will differ, and need balancing, what I really wanted was a baseline to go from, and you’ve done that perfectly.

I’ll do some stress testing and go from there. I’m going for a quiet setup this time around so I’ll happily keep fan speeds conservative at the expense of a few degrees, as long as I can maintain the clocks I want.

Any experience with the Maximus X formula? I’m ditching my fan control setup in exchange for the onboard functionality; it looks quite good and I generally like ASUS software, so I’m hoping it’ll do the job nicely.
I tried with my Asus Crosshair and Asus software, but it never worked as it supposed to. I set it up to be dependant on the water temp sensor connected to mobo header but it still took CPU temp into account :/ maybe it was just the motherboard issue, this model or something...Not sure. In the end I went for corsair commander pro, it works well and can control rgb lights for my fans.

Soldato
OP
I tried with my Asus Crosshair and Asus software, but it never worked as it supposed to. I set it up to be dependant on the water temp sensor connected to mobo header but it still took CPU temp into account :/ maybe it was just the motherboard issue, this model or something...Not sure. In the end I went for corsair commander pro, it works well and can control rgb lights for my fans.

Really appreciate the input mate, thanks. I’ve used Corsair Link kit for a long time, I have a Commander Mini in my now retiring rig.

I think Corsair hardware is great, but there’s several things they’ve done / are doing with software that has really peeved me off, so I want to avoid investing into their ecosystem any further. If I don’t get on with the Formula I’ll probably use an Aquero, I think their kit is awesome.

I’m not knocking your Corsair experience though, when it works it does so well. The UI is excellent too.

Associate
Fair enough :) everyone has some preferences, and there is plenty of people who like Aquero. But like you said maybe your motherboard will work fine, so you won't have to spend any extra.

Soldato
OP
Fair enough :) everyone has some preferences, and there is plenty of people who like Aquero. But like you said maybe your motherboard will work fine, so you won't have to spend any extra.

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping not. I could absolutely just go back to using Link, but it's a new build and I'd like something different.

Appreciate everyones input, thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom