New annoying colleague

Man of Honour
@Jamauk my teamleader said he talked too much last Monday but wante to give it another week to see if he gets the hints( blunt responses, asking if he will meet deadlines ect). A guy who sits behind me complained to me that he kept turning round to him to talk about irrelevent stuff for the first week or so but he was really blunt with him after a while so he has backed off.

Its an admin job but you need to be good with excel reporte and stuff, he actuallt failed the excel test at interview so im baffled as to why he was hired.

Thanks for your advice, i will arrange for a 1 2 1 this week.
You sound like a great boss, working in a lovely environment!

Do your company provide any coaching, mentoring or training for new people in supervisory positions? If so, it sounds like you would really benefit from it.

Soldato
OP
You sound like a great boss, working in a lovely environment!

Do your company provide any coaching, mentoring or training for new people in supervisory positions? If so, it sounds like you would really benefit from it.

I have been told i will have some training in the coming months, could have done with it as soon as i started the new position though.

Associate
I have been told i will have some training in the coming months, could have done with it as soon as i started the new position though.

It is good news that you will be getting some training on dealing with these sorts of issue’s as you wont get on with everyone and each employee is an individual, as it should be, as long as they are doing their job then their personality should never come in to it, maybe ask for some diversity training?
I expect he gets home at night and his mum asks him how his new jobs going and he tells her how much he hates it as he is really trying to find friends but management are being blunt with me and rude, no matter how hard I try.
Adjust your way of management to cater for the individual and you will find you people management life much easier, would you prefer the guy doing the job well as he doesn’t want to let you and the company down or because he is scared of the repercussions if he doesn’t?

Soldato
Your office sounds like it might need an injection of energy.

You all sound like soulless automatons.

Not soulless automatons, more like fully compliant slaves.

Why on earth would anyone want to "work hard", for 95% of the money generated through your time and effort goes straight into some execs/CEOs back pockets who are sitting on their arses, so they can get chauffeured around and collect Ferrari they don't even have the skill to drive.

Capitalism baffles me. I don't understand the motivation ESPECIALLY the fully compliant slaves!

Its an admin job but you need to be good with excel reporte and stuff, he actuallt failed the excel test at interview so im baffled as to why he was hired..

Lol, the guy who made me walk out of work twice had zero computer experience and I mean none but they still hired him because he was 'keen'.

This is how they hook compliant slaves. It's basic psychology.

They want their slaves to be personally incompatible and always against each other, because if the slave get together then they will be gang bitching about the slave owners and that's the last thing a slave owner wants.

They also want their slaves to feel inadequate and always struggling to perform basic tasks, because then it's easier to own someone. You cant tell someone what to do when they know 100 times more than you and they're 50 times more competent. But if the poor guy doesn't even have basic IT skills then BINGO they're in for a good slave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Not soulless automatons, more like fully compliant slaves.

Why on earth would anyone want to "work hard",
Because you get reimbursed for what you do on a sliding scale. If you work "hard" you will generally be reimbursed more for what you do than someone who makes no effort. You can then have more money to do things which you enjoy.

Soldato
He just needs to grow up a bit. Pull him to one side and tell him he is not in trouble but he is acting in an unprofessional manor that is not in keeping with the decorum of the office.

I haven't read the replies but I imagine 50 others have said the same. There is no shame in this, you are doing him a favor. These kinds of people need to be told as they are usually ignorant of it and it holds them back in their career.

Soldato
as a supervisor myself.
I would just sit him down for a one to one ,2 week, 4 week, (or whatever week he is at) chat.
Ask him how he thinks things are going.
explain what he is doing wrong and what is expected of people in the office, what he needs to improve on.

if that doesn't sort him out, then at least you gave him a chance without just being an ignorant **** about things (that is to say how he may think you are all coming across)

Associate
I had an annoying colleague from May 2017 to May 2018 and I ended up walking out twice with stress.
It was January this year when I walked out of work again so the Managers decided to swap desks around so I didn't sit near him and they put him on a capability study.
On his first test he failed it miserably - he had to photocopy around 400 A4 pages and put them in a Lever Arch file, it took him 3 days - seriously 3 days for a 1 hour max job.
He was asked to photocopy a 10 page letter and save it to a named file and password protect it - it took half a day.
It was May before they got rid of him and he shortened my lifespan by 10 years without even knowing he had done anything wrong - he was always in another world.

Lol, the guy who made me walk out of work twice had zero computer experience and I mean none but they still hired him because he was 'keen'.
There must be about 150 people in my building and they still talk about him because he impacted on everybody's jobs even though they weren't in the same department.
eg If he was in the photocopy room they went back to their desks ruining their work flow because they couldn't stand being in there with him, same goes for anywhere because he would just stop them and talk nonsense for 15 to 30 minutes. We used to call it the 'Jon' walk where you could see people taking 1 step back until they could get away or staff used to pretend somebody was on teh phone for them so they could get them away from him.
When he left we found out he had been a Manager of 1000 people, a Policeman, a Fireman, in the Army, a Lawyer and we head hunted him into an admin job, 3 daughters when he told us he had no family.
He also said he had a degree in Nursing but we heard him on the phone saying he had only got a Level 2 in Nursing care ........... and so it went on.
He told me one day that he had 79 friends on Facebook, all of them were female and he'd slept with them all :)
I can laugh now but that guy took 10 years off my life.

wel I fort we was frends and I try very hard wiv you. if u look u see I have managed a multikwote witch is achally more hard than widdening excel rows or coloms, whichever is witch I dunno. gotta go facebang no.119 callin ha ha ha ha ha ha hhhha heerp

Man of Honour
wel I fort we was frends and I try very hard wiv you. if u look u see I have managed a multikwote witch is achally more hard than widdening excel rows or coloms, whichever is witch I dunno. gotta go facebang no.119 callin ha ha ha ha ha ha hhhha heerp

Jon, is that you?
If it is you what swear word did you shout at me during an altercation?

I'll give you a clue, it started with poo and ended with head.

Caporegime
How about you just go full retard on him until he gets the message?

"SO DAVE DID U HAVE RED SAUCE OR BROWN SAUCE ON UR EGGS TODAY M8? I PREFER RED SAUCE BUT THE BROWN SAUCE HAS A NICE TANG. I ALWAYS USED TO HAVE RED SAUCE BUT AS I GROW OLDER I FIND THAT BROWN SAUCE IS TASTING BETTER AND BETTER. MAYBE I SHOULD HABE SOME BROWN SAUCE ON MY PIE TONIGHT INSTEAD OF RED SAUCE. THAT REMINDS ME I NEED TO PICK UP SOME BROWN SAUCE ON THE WAY HOME TONIGHT. AND A PIE. DO YOU WANT TO COME FOR DINNER? I HAVE SOME GRAPEFRUIT CORDIAL THAT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND LOL"

Soldato
Your slave theory may apply to me though.

As far as I know you work in health care/services?

I don't believe this is a capitalist organisation per se (although big pharma is exploiting health services) you don't really have a slave master, you're not mining money which is being funnelled to a few elite execs.

What I'm talking about is the likes of slave workers who are mining all day and funnelling cash to a few select execs. Take logistics like delivery drivers/warehouse workers for example. They work on minimum wage while 99% of the cash they help generate goes straight to the top, and the slave gets only 30,000 out of the pot while the chief gets £150 billion.

Real enslavement and modern slavery is when the person doing the work only gets less than 1% of the actual cash they help generate while the other 99% goes to one man at the top.

Soldato
Just read the OP.... I personally cannot see what's wrong. Just seems like a very social individual.

I expected him to be attrocious at his job. From my point of view. It looks as though you just dislike his personality.

Deal with it.... We can't like everyone we work with.

Back
Top Bottom