The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix)

Soldato
I loved the ending, not quite how the producer originally had it ending tho. I wont say but its on the net if you want to look.

I wanted more on the house and what made it so evil. For a 100 year old house there were a hell of a lot of ghosts. They had written a lot about the houses backstory showing its construction and explaining who the hills were but they had to drop it as they couldn't fit it all in.

Would make a great prequel for season 2 hopefully.

The ending had me and my wife in tears tbh, and not much does that at all to me.

Soldato
Finished and enjoyed it was surprising that all the way through it didn't speed up and it kept it's original slow pace all the way through which worked rather than making it feel boring to watch at points.

Wonder if they'll make a S2.

Caporegime
I'm not sure I have enjoyed a single film from the horror genre over the past decade. It's just diluted with rubbish... But this was incredible. Loved every moment of it.

It's so rare that I enjoy all of the cast too, both the past and present characters. They were all great.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah loved this series, best to watch it in one go as best you can without the gaps. Sure it had its negatives but overall a very nicely well put story, it did not need over the top CGI and volume increase moments to scare either.

Soldato
I loved the ending, not quite how the producer originally had it ending tho. I wont say but its on the net if you want to look.

I wanted more on the house and what made it so evil. For a 100 year old house there were a hell of a lot of ghosts. They had written a lot about the houses backstory showing its construction and explaining who the hills were but they had to drop it as they couldn't fit it all in.

Would make a great prequel for season 2 hopefully.

The ending had me and my wife in tears tbh, and not much does that at all to me.
Had a Google, glad he opted for the ending we got really.

I want a season two to explore the houses past of course providing its well written etc like this is.

Caporegime
Finished this last night. The end felt a little drawn out to me, but this is clutching at straws because it's the best horror I've seen for a very long time.

I had so many physical scare shivers, which to me is a good benchmark of a horror. Add that to the quality of the acting and it's a winner.

It also made me want to go and buy large old houses and try and make money from them. As long as there are no ghosts that is.

Soldato
2 episodes in and already some genuine scary moments. It's starting to make me wish I didn't have a decent home cinema system as the sound effects add to the suspense.:eek:

Associate
Does anyone think the title of this show intentionally means to sound similar to The House on Haunted Hill?

The Haunting of Hill House was written by Shirley Jackson in 1953 (it's a modern classic horror, often quoted) - it was first brought to the screen in 1963 in the film The Haunting (which Shirley Jackson helped write the screenplay - and is an excellent movie, imo) - this show is based on her classic novel.

The House on Haunted Hill was written by Robb White in 1959 and was a screenplay for William Castle's film - subsequently remade in 1999 and a sequel (Return to House on Haunted Hill) in 2007.

I always get them confused - but I think it was Robb White/William Castle that named their film close to Shirley Jackson's novel than the other way around.

Permabanned
Absolute belter of a show so far (on Episode 5 but need to wait till next weekend to watch the rest).

It's wonderfully measured in all the ways good horror should be. Felt that it was a little unfocused going into episode three put it really pulls itself together during that hour. The way it's structured is genius! Has you paying attention to every line of dialogue because you think it will feed back into something later on.

Just bloody good television!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Only thing I would have changed would have been the focus of the last 3-4 episodes. I wanted to know more about the house and its history rather than focussing on the family.

Soldato
Well, just finished that.
Certainly hard to get into. The first 3 episodes were tough going with all the time jumps combined with learning who everyone is.
But by the time Ep4 came around, I think it all started to come together.

Generally enjoyable but I felt it tailed off at the end and the last ep was FAR too wishy washy and touchy feely.

I think I'd still recommend it to people :)

Soldato
The Haunting of Hill House was written by Shirley Jackson in 1953 (it's a modern classic horror, often quoted) - it was first brought to the screen in 1963 in the film The Haunting (which Shirley Jackson helped write the screenplay - and is an excellent movie, imo) - this show is based on her classic novel.

The House on Haunted Hill was written by Robb White in 1959 and was a screenplay for William Castle's film - subsequently remade in 1999 and a sequel (Return to House on Haunted Hill) in 2007.

I always get them confused - but I think it was Robb White/William Castle that named their film close to Shirley Jackson's novel than the other way around.

Interesting, thank you. I didn’t realise it predated it or even it was that old.

Back
Top Bottom