Which cloud backup software & provider do I need?

Soldato
I want to back up my data offsite. I have approx 1 TB of data, most of which does not change. I currently back it up to a WSE box which itself is backed up to an external HDD. I periodically take backups of the data on external USB HDDs which get stored off-site.

But I want an automated offsite backup. I have fibre broadband with 20 Mbps upstream. Because some of the data could be sensitive, I need the data to be encrypted at my end before being backed up. The backup software needs to cope with interruptions - my router reboots daily, for instance - and it will take a week or so to do the initial backup.

I leave my PC on 24/7 so later backups need to happen automatically in the small hours.

Restoring is equally important. I need to be able to restore at the file level. Most trivially I'll need to download my spreadsheet of license keys and the Windows and Windows Server ISOs.

So, which software and which cloud provider should I use?

Associate
someone once recommended carbonite to me, i never did bother to set it up. Personally try the free stuff first and see how you get on.

Soldato
If you have Office 365 and Onedrive, the free Veeam windows agent will backup directly to Onedrive.

Nate

The free agent from Veeam won't backup to OneDrive. You need to pay for a license.

Does anyone know of an alternative that's free? I thought it might be possible to map a OneDrive account as an SMB share but I haven't managed to work out how yet.

Soldato
I use google backup and sync. Although it's working I have had a few problems with non-graphics files, it's great for photographs but other stuff not so much. The client also doesn't have that many options for how often to check files have changed etc it's more or less doing it on the fly, which isn't great if you're editing things.

crashplan was so much better :-/

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
Didn't Crashplan kill all their non business accounts recently?

I use Backblaze for about 5Tb of data.

They did but if you migrated to business you got it for $2.50 per month for the ne t 18 months...works for me as I just backup the main backup server...

I have two servers...one serves the network for storage nothing is saved locally to pcs and laptops that I don’t want to lose it all points to the server...the backup server mirrors the main server and crashplan backs up the shares of the backup server.

Back
Top Bottom