Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Caporegime
I've got to watch the Digital Foundry stuff regardless. I have to see what the X1X brings over PS4 Pro.

Xbox One X is the go-to platform for this game. Rockstar's stunning technological achievement runs at native 4K on the X, and also delivers the smoothest performance. Bearing in mind just how far Rockstar is pushing current-gen hardware, that's a stunning achievement.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-dead-redemption-2-face-off

Caporegime
Forgetting about the platform and performance for a minute, it's still the busywork that i'm worried about as going to the gym and eating in GTA: San Andreas was the most boring part of the same

Red Dead Redemption 2's world leaves an impact on your avatar, the pointedly gritty wilds muddying your horse's hide and your clothes until you either brush your ride down and pay to use a bathhouse or incur the disgust and disdain of those around you. That dirt will clog up your arsenal as well, requiring you to clean your guns lest they lose their potency. It's part of that same busywork - very engaging busywork, mind - in which you can maintain the length of your hair and beard or let it grow unruly, can choose to pomade it in the morning or cover it with your favourite hat (which you may well lose in a fight if you're not careful - though thankfully you can pick up anyone else's in its place), or you can get thin or fat depending on whether you overindulge in the food you're required to eat in order to maintain your stamina core.

This is a neat idea - and another with tinges of the maximalist Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - that's again undone by muddiness of execution. In Red Dead Redemption 2, you have health and endurance that are governed by cores, which dictate how rapidly radial meters fill, which are also there for your horse and pop up on your mini-map intermittently and... if I sound confused, it's because after over 60 hours I still am, and those systems remain fuzzy throughout. Perhaps it's just the game's proximity to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, where similar systems are crystal clear and hard-baked into the experience (in another similarity that's fluffed here, your choice of clothing has an impact - if you're not dressed appropriately in cold climates, for example, you'll shiver and your meters will take a hit). Red Dead Redemption 2's take seems inelegant, inconsequential and - both thankfully and damningly - easy to ignore.

Soldato
Do we know if this game is completely open world, can we just do our own thing and do missions whenever we like or are we forced to do things?

Also are there any RPG elements to it? i.e. crafting?

Soldato
Not sure I entirely buy the comment "by quite a considerable margin", didn't exactly see a night and day difference in the game. Marginal differences going from OG consoles to their souped up counterparts.

The 1X is running at over 6x the resolution of the S... and at a higher frame rate.

If that isn’t beasting it then I don’t know what is!

Back
Top Bottom