University regulations anyone an expert?

Soldato
"University regulations allow a maximum of 8 years to complete for an Honours degree" (ref an email from the uni in question)

maybe my son did not read all the paperwork, but he filled in some forms to say he wanted to maybe go back to uni next year (he has a degree but *might* want to work toward an honours)..

The reply was effectively "too late", this is the first communication he has had since finishing his degree 2 years ago..

is this really written in stone, is it government regulation? anyone have any experience or advice on mitigating this?

Soldato
I'm confused, you say he's completed his degree, but wants to work towards an honours?

Afaik an honours is only awarded upon completion of all modules with at least a pass.

It also doesn't mean a great deal, would have said he'd be better off doing further study.

Soldato
OP
hmmm, ok maybe there is more to this than he is telling me... thanks Semple amd Nazbit... I'll have to quiz him more....I half expected a "wtf are they talking about reply's" and "just tell them you got a job and extend the deadline"

I'm not expecting more input but they said

"To date you have passed 8 module credits at Level 4 and 12 Stage II acceptable module credits (including 4 credits at Honours level) and have passed all the compulsory modules for an Ordinary degree (degree without Honours) so you can be considered for this award at our next exam committee in January 2019 without any further study. "

Soldato
"University regulations allow a maximum of 8 years to complete for an Honours degree" (ref an email from the uni in question)

maybe my son did not read all the paperwork, but he filled in some forms to say he wanted to maybe go back to uni next year (he has a degree but *might* want to work toward an honours)..

The reply was effectively "too late", this is the first communication he has had since finishing his degree 2 years ago..

is this really written in stone, is it government regulation? anyone have any experience or advice on mitigating this?

Just checked, an honours is only awarded upon obtaining 360 credits - all modules, as I said earlier.

If he's completed his degree already, then I can't see how he can complete the modules that weren't completed in the first place.

Why all of a sudden does he want an "honours"?

Soldato
OP
Just checked, an honours is only awarded upon obtaining 360 credits - all modules, as I said earlier.

If he's completed his degree already, then I can't see how he can complete the modules that weren't completed in the first place.

Why all of a sudden does he want an "honours"?

now you got me wondering if he really did get that degree in the first place! Thanks for the input...

Associate
I'm doing an OU degree and for accreditation it has to be completed within 8 years, but i believe you can take up to 12 years for non accreditation. Think this varies with uni and subject you study though i would expect it would be best to contact student support at the uni.

If he already has a degree why not do a masters?

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

When I finished my degree in 2007, and it could well have changed by now, I had a friend who completed everything on the degree but the dissertation. He received a degree without honours, whereas the rest of us who submitted a Dissertation (and passed it), received a degree with honours.

Don’t know if that helps? FYI it was Nottingham Trent, not that I think the University will make a difference in this case.

Soldato
There are minimum and maximum periods of registration for all degrees which will be strictly adhered to unless special mitigating circumstances are agreed. This is usually a lot of paperwork and time to sort out.

Associate
If he's actually got a degree and is willing to spend more time and money to improve his academic record, he'd be better off doing a masters rather than trying to polish a degree.

Caporegime
now you got me wondering if he really did get that degree in the first place! Thanks for the input...

Why not provide more details or find out some details yourself. I mean the way you've posted has just left people guessing... did he fail some modules? Was he doing some sort of degree with a foundation year and chose to graduate after three years and would require another year for the hours requirements? Is it a part time degree?

Have you looked at the university regulations yourself?

Back
Top Bottom