• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080Ti Overheating idle?

Soldato
Hey guys, Just a quick one,

my friends MSI 1080Ti Gaming X 11G is idling on 62c. His got a good airflow case.

the backplate is extremely hot to the touch. in games the card reaches 76c.

is it time to RMA?

should we replace thermal paste?

What should the idle temp/load temps be?

Thanks

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I've got the same model MSI 1080ti and the fans don't actually start until 60 degrees.

When idle it hovers about 45-50 without the fans going. (Thats in a Phanteks M Pro with 4x 140mm fans, 2 intake, 2 extract)

It reaches about 68-72 when gaming with the default fan curve after about an hour gaming.

What are his clocks at idle? are they stuck in 3d mode causing higher than average idle?

Soldato
OP
I've got the same model MSI 1080ti and the fans don't actually start until 60 degrees.

When idle it hovers about 45-50 without the fans going. (Thats in a Phanteks M Pro with 4x 140mm fans, 2 intake, 2 extract)

It reaches about 68-72 when gaming with the default fan curve after about an hour gaming.

What are his clocks at idle? are they stuck in 3d mode causing higher than average idle?

how do i check this? thanks in advance clocks are always on 1430 then boost to 1900~ when gaming

Soldato
OP
9hPVdZd

9hPVdZd.png
hi guys im using these both the fans will spin up to cool the gpu down once in a while usally its 60-62c

ljt

ljt

Soldato
how do i check this? thanks in advance clocks are always on 1430 then boost to 1900~ when gaming

You can check in msi afterburner. The idle clocks are way to high if they are constantly on 1400mhz+, should be around 140mhz ish if it's a monitor with a refresh below 120hz.

Multiple monitors and high refresh rate (144hz etc) monitors can cause the idle clocks to rise, but nowhere near 1400Mhz. Chrome sometimes causes mine to jump to 3d clocks like 1400mhz sometimes.

Soldato
yeah, make sure full performance is not the global profile. If it is, then set apps like chrome and steam to adaptive. But better to keep global at adaptive or optimal power and then set specific games that need to full performance if thats desired.

Also the heatsink or case cooling doesnt sound optimal for those temps, my auros 1080ti with fans off, at these current ambient temps idles at about 28C at 135mhz, or if the clocks are performance 1567mhz it idles at about 39C.

Soldato
OP
You can check in msi afterburner. The idle clocks are way to high if they are constantly on 1400mhz+, should be around 140mhz ish if it's a monitor with a refresh below 120hz.

Multiple monitors and high refresh rate (144hz etc) monitors can cause the idle clocks to rise, but nowhere near 1400Mhz. Chrome sometimes causes mine to jump to 3d clocks like 1400mhz sometimes.
thank you, i'm running it on
yeah, make sure full performance is not the global profile. If it is, then set apps like chrome and steam to adaptive. But better to keep global at adaptive or optimal power and then set specific games that need to full performance if thats desired.

Also the heatsink or case cooling doesnt sound optimal for those temps, my auros 1080ti with fans off, at these current ambient temps idles at about 28C at 135mhz, or if the clocks are performance 1567mhz it idles at about 39C.

Thanks for the replies, can't figure out for the life of me what's causing it to boost - i've got 165hz gsync panel 2k and a 2k ips panel, i updated nvidia global settings, it occasionally drops to 600~ but returns to 1430 and even 1544 O_O

ljt

ljt

Soldato
For reference I just left chrome open to keep the clocks to about 1400Mhz, and my idle is now 60 degrees, with the fans kicking in briefly then. So your friends isn't faulty if that was his concern. It's simply down to the idle clocks not kicking in. I'd try the suggestions about setting power profile in global to adaptive etc for any apps that are normally always open like chrome etc. Plus setting the refresh to 120hz sometimes cures the problem

Soldato
OP
thank you very much all - Turns out if you have two monitors 1 high refresh 144> and another monitor it does this - Thank you nvidia...... Thanks everyone for your help saved me from an RMA!.

next question is 75c high for gaming? thank u.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
depends how long it's been going for. I don't really get much time to game longer than about an hour at a time, and I've seen it peak at about 72c if it's a particularly GPU intensive game, so not that far off really.

Soldato
OP
depends how long it's been going for. I don't really get much time to game longer than about an hour at a time, and I've seen it peak at about 72c if it's a particularly GPU intensive game, so not that far off really.

Thank you very much, you went out of your way for this. Saved me an RMA literally, everyone on this page

Soldato
Have had the card and those temperatures are normal depending on ambient etc.

75c is normal for gaming. Especially if the card is under a lot of load as the 1080Ti is a powerful chip and produces a lot of heat. Even with a cooler as large as the gaming x’s they still get reasonably hot.

75c still nothing to worry about for an air cooled gpu.

The cards fans don’t start until 60c and if you are using the card moderately on idle such as YouTube where the clocks rise then the fans will just start to run.

Soldato
OP
70c is normal for a GPU on air.

Have had the card and those temperatures are normal depending on ambient etc.

75c is normal for gaming. Especially if the card is under a lot of load as the 1080Ti is a powerful chip and produces a lot of heat. Even with a cooler as large as the gaming x’s they still get reasonably hot.

75c still nothing to worry about for an air cooled gpu.

The cards fans don’t start until 60c and if you are using the card moderately on idle such as YouTube where the clocks rise then the fans will just start to run.

Thanks yeah The card is perfect, was tempted to use liquid metal on the GPU but not sure if this is worth the risk?

Back
Top Bottom