The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Soldato
Absolutely :D

Looking forward to seeing. I am going out tonight and experimenting with some ND Grads :)
How did you get on?

Sadly, my weekend was cut slightly shorter than expected as my friend (who features in all the photos I've uploaded thus far) had a very serious crash which ended with him being airlifted out so didn't attend Sunday all that much :( He's okay though and there's always next season!

Clio Cup 2018 Brands Hatch GP by Josh Passmore, on Flickr

There's a few more on my Flickr and I'll trickle upload some further ones too :)

It's been a very long time (years) since I last picked up a camera for anything really, so it took a lot of getting used to again, I'm fairly pleased with some of them...

Associate
Hello All!

Drooling over various Olympus cameras at the moment and it will be my first foray into m43 cameras moving from an APSC DSLR - hoping for a touch of advice. I'm weighing up between the EM10III and the EM5II with the 12-40mm f2.8 lens.

The only big difference I can see is the weather sealing, which is of some interest as I tend to travel to cold/snowy places. Does it make a real world difference or is it aimed at people that abuse their cameras in the worst conditions? Also, any other differences between the EM10 and EM5 that I've missed?

Cheers!

Caporegime
EM5 II has weather sealing, fully artic screen, wireless flash support and better built with slightly better EVF magnification. IIRC it's got slightly faster continuous shooting and a mic input.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks guys, I’ll hold on a month for the EM5II. Might sound mad but since holding both of them I know I’m going to love it. Something different about them compared to the Canon DSLRs I’ve tried.

Soldato
I found switching to m43 felt very...refreshing :)

Same here, I was using an old Canon 30D for many years and then stopped using it due to weight (wasn't aware of m4/3) and switched to a mobile, didn't take any pictures for years.

I purchased an LX100 late last year and found it amazing and then discovered it had a m4/3 sensor inside so purchased a GX80. Take many snaps now and am able to carry the GX80 with the kit lens where ever I go.

uv

uv

Soldato
my father in law had slowed down with photography and stopped taking his Nikon out due to the size and weight - we got him an em-5 ii for his birthday and he's been taking pictures literally every day since.

I love mine, and even with an L-bracket and the 12-40 pro it's still small and light enough for me to take everywhere. Much love for the em-5 ii :)

If I want something particularly small to take on a night out, I can stick the 17mm on and the whole lot will literally fit in my coat pocket. Since I got the 17mm, my RX100 hasn't left the house!

Associate
The convenience is what I loved about it when I tried one. I've only been photographing for around four months now with my 450D but I find it so cumbersome that I've been leaving it at home more and more in favour of my iPhone as the image quality is pretty negligible. The 450D has been great for learning with and was dirt cheap, but I definitely feel the more compact size will have me taking it out a lot more. Looking forward to picking one up, especially after seeing the positivity surround the EM5II here :)

Soldato
That’s the thing with M4/3, you can go super compact with a GM5 or carry a rangefinder or mini-DSLR and 2 lenses in a very small and light bag.

Obviously, if you start moving towards the larger M4/3 bodies and lenses, you up with APS-C sized kit and a the same weight issues.

Associate
Ended up exchanging my 450D today and going over to a Lumix G80. Initially looked at the EM5II and it is a great camera but comfort wise for my hands the G80 was just better. 12-60mm Kits lens and came with a free 25mm f1.7!

2ir7TS2.jpg

92iUVBy.jpg

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom