Nest Hello - Now available in UK

Caporegime
OP
I don't get it, what's the appeal of 300 quid for a doorbell? What's the problem this solves?

Don't think of it as a doorbell but more of a security device. It will photograph anyone who walks up to your door even if they don't ring the doorbell. It's good for picturing gypsies scoping out properties. Who pretend to be selling something like compost. In reality they are checking you and your property out

Permabanned
I've just installed a nest protect and very happy - want a doorbell next but cost seems annoying Vs the ring and no option to battery power.

Anyone actually got one yet in this thread?

Yes, I have been using my Nest Hello doorbell for a month and am very happy. I posted this review on Google Home thread earlier tonite.

"After a month of using my Nest Hello doorbell, I am pleased with my purchase. Installation was quick and easy. I had a wired doorbell and chime so buying Nest Hello was a logical move. No battery.

First thing I noticed was how quickly the video is posted to my Pixel 2 XL. Also it is easy to talk to the person at the door through the talk feature for two way conversation. I have not used the pre recorded replies because I am able to respond directly.

The 4:3 aspect ratio shows more of the subject at the door (head to toe) than alternatives. And there is lots of detail of the background such as activity on Street before person arrives at doorbell.

I also like the hard wired doorbell feature because it is really like a security camera setup. We have had instances of packages being stolen from doorsteps and the ability to scroll back video for 24 hours is very useful. And a live feed is always available to view, 24/7 so if you hear noise at night, the Nest Hello will activate and show the live feed.

Maybe one of the nicest features is the facial recognition software that Nest pulled from the indoor and outdoor cameras they sell. By capturing the face of the person at the bell it can tell you through Google Home who is at the doorbell. This also works via Chromecast and your TV to have it turn on to show you who is there. I have not set this up as it requires a subscription called Nest Aware.

But very happy and would recommend."

Hope that helps.

Soldato
After some consideration, I think we're going to grab one. It will definitely be coming with us if we move thoogt!

The main swing was the fact it's a security camera, which we definitely need, so makes sense to start with the front door.

Will install myself as looks pretty straight forward, have to get all the wiring in place first.

Soldato
Right then. Thinking of getting one of these doorbells, but currently have no wiring in-place for it.

Conveniently, the hallway that joins the CU to the front door has yet to be skimmed, so I can make a mess. Would I need one of these in the CU and then wiring from that, to the door location?

Soldato
You, sir, have made me spend a lot of money on Nest things... but I love them. I've now got the whole inside covered and a Hello at both the front and the back (rear garden is where you tend to come through to the house anyway) and everything is working perfectly.

A £10 transformer, some Cat5 cable made up to bell wire and 30-minutes of work by my sparky and it was all sorted.

Caporegime
OP
You, sir, have made me spend a lot of money on Nest things... but I love them. I've now got the whole inside covered and a Hello at both the front and the back (rear garden is where you tend to come through to the house anyway) and everything is working perfectly.

A £10 transformer, some Cat5 cable made up to bell wire and 30-minutes of work by my sparky and it was all sorted.

how much did the sparky charge for the job?

would the screwfix transformer work?

Soldato
I didn't pay, he did them as a favour to me

But knowing someone would want to know, I asked and he said he would have charged me £100 to do the pair.

Bear in mind that didn't include any chimes and only a little chasing into the wall for the cable runs.

That Screwfix transformer would work, if you could get hold of one. The Amazon one isn't that far off in terms of price and is usually in stock.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Spoken to Anark Electrical, they will do Nest Hello supplied and installed for £388 where you have no existing wiring. An additional £55 if you also want a chime.

They just installed my Nest thermostat and I was impressed with the service. They are used by Nest as the official installers.

https://www.nestinstallations.com

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yeah.

For me they installed a transformer which just plugged into the mains at a reasonable point and then ran a cable from that to the doorbell. Running a cable to the RCD would've caused a huge mess!

My RCD is by the front door so would be the best option for me.

How do you rate the nest hello?

Caporegime
OP
Just asked nest pro installer for a quote £150. This is with me providing everything needed for the install.

My fuse box is right next to my front door so it's a 20 minute job.

I asked 2 other companies for quotes so I will see what they say.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm definitely getting this soon. I really like how it works with my Google home mini's and provides some security by recording my drive.

Back
Top Bottom