Screen protector, yes or no?

Soldato
Just after people's opinions and experiences especially if you don't use them.
The reason I ask, is I have a S8 which is a great phone apart from the god awful curved screen.
I've tried several screen protectors, and all look rubbish in no time, go unresponsive due to not being full glue.
My current protector isn't glass and is now starting to peel, and the tangerine finish is nowhere near as good as glass.

I'm just thinking of ripping it off and going naked.

Soldato
This is the problem with curved screens that they haven't yet designed a screen protector for.

I noticed this when applying my screen protector to my xz1 and the sides don't quite fit flush.

Soldato
Its a definite no from me, I just keep my phone in a separate pocket to keys and coins etc. and never get any scratches. Screen protectors are horrible for the reasons you describe, I'd really rather not have one. I guess you can get some pretty good ones these days (apart from with curved screens like you) but it always seems odd to me when somebody has a nice phone and it looks terrible as they have an old screen protector peeling away at the edges.

Soldato
Almost always use a screen protector on phones with nice screens, like my S8 and current Honor Play. Micro scratches are unavoidable but they ruin a nice display. Don't bother on the odd occasion I find myself with a crappy phone, like my old Moto G etc.

Really hard to find ones that fit properly though. Must have gone though about 8 or 9 different ones on my S8 before I found one that was decent, then I sold the phone about 3 days later :p

Associate
I've just started using a screen protector on a Note 4 but only because I wore the oleophobic coating off and they're not very nice to use without it. Mind you it's hard to find a decent screen protector for the Note 4 that actually has a decent oleophobic coating (Jetech). Generally though I prefer to use a phone without one and have been lucky enough never to have had a damaged screen. I also use flip cases.

Soldato
Not sure how people get these micro scratches, I've just been examined mine at various angles and can't find any, I've had it over 2 years.

I had one which came with my Z2 which is around 4-5 years old. My partner has it now and it still has the original screen protector provided by Sony. I tried to fit one to my s7, gave up after a few. Same with my S9 plus. They just don't lend themselves to having protection. I have a wallet type case to protect it. I did give my s7 to my partner who promptly dropped it within two weeks and ruined it but cracking the screen but then within a couple of days it just stopped working completely.

Soldato
Never used one, always make sure the phone has Gorilla Glass and keep it in its own pocket, current phone is a year old and not a mark on the screen, previous phone was 2/3 years old and the same.

Soldato
I've always used protectors of some kind since phone screens got larger with the Galaxy S3/iPhone 4 onwards. Started off using TPU film protectors before moving to tempered glass as phone displays became larger. I hate microscratches and I've seen way too many "Oh I don't need protectors....oh no look at this scratch I has" from owners of devices in the past. Whilst I've always carefully looked after my devices I still don't trust Gorilla Glass.

Having said the above, my ancient Oppo Find 5 that is built like a brick still has a prestine 5" display and I used no protector on that. My current S8+ that I've spent probably upto £100 on protection now has a TPU film on it because protecting it with a Whitestone Dome is just expensive AF and I can't justify anymore expense on it. Sodding curved panels.

Permabanned
Not sure how people get these micro scratches, I've just been examined mine at various angles and can't find any, I've had it over 2 years.

Microscratches appear when the phone sits, for example, on a table or somewhere around, gets some dust particles covered it, and then one puts it in their pocket. The dust particles can be quite hard.

Just after people's opinions and experiences especially if you don't use them.
The reason I ask, is I have a S8 which is a great phone apart from the god awful curved screen.
I've tried several screen protectors, and all look rubbish in no time, go unresponsive due to not being full glue.
My current protector isn't glass and is now starting to peel, and the tangerine finish is nowhere near as good as glass.

I'm just thinking of ripping it off and going naked.

Naked is the only way to go. Much better feel without a protector - you won't retire with your phone next to you, and also, current generation phones like my own VKWorld S8 have so hard surface finish, that microscratches don't even appear ;)

Man of Honour
Every single person who doesn't have a screen protector and says that there are no micro scratches is just not attentive (retentive?) enough in my experience. Good on them if they aren't as picky as me, but I can always immediately spot the supposedly non-existent scratches and since they would bug me I always use a tempered glass screen protector.

This is also why I will never buy a phone with one of the gimmicky curved screens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom