Help with understanding licence

Associate
Hi,
Just got my Italian DL converted to a UK one and need some help in understanding what I can drive, specifically if I can drive a 125cc or a 150cc and if I need a CBT for it.

Here is the entitlements on my DL:

- AM
- A (restriction 79(3)
- B1
- B (restriction 70l)
- fkpq

I am confused because I thought honestly I was ONLY allowed to drive 50cc and don't understand how come I was given an A licence ....

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Don
Last edited:
Associate
Category AM
You can drive 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph).

This category also includes light quad bikes with:

• unladen mass of not more than 350kg (not including batteries if it’s an electric vehicle)
  • maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)
Category A
You can drive:

• motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg
  • motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW
You can also drive motorbikes in categories A1 and A2.

Category B1
You can drive motor vehicles with 4 wheels up to 400kg unladen or 550kg if they’re designed for carrying goods.

Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997
You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997
You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.

You can drive motor tricycles with a power output higher than 15kW if you are over 21 years old.

Physically disabled drivers with provisional category B entitlement will also have provisional entitlement to ride category A1 or A motor tricycles.

Other categories

Category
Vehicle you can drive
f Agricultural tractor
G Road roller
H Tracked vehicles
k Mowing machine or pedestrian-controlled vehicle
l Electrically-propelled vehicle
M Trolley vehicles
n Exempt from duty

Associate
OP
Thanks!!!
If anyone else is in the same situation I have called DVLA and they told me I can drive 50cc mopeds without L plate and without doing a CBT test as I had my licence in Sep 2000. I can also drive 125cc but I need the L plate and to do a CBT first in that case. I cannot drive bikes - although I have the A provisional licence - because that’s only restricted to trycyles.

Back
Top Bottom