What did you do to your bike today?

Associate
Some Avons have "backwards" tread on the front tyre. I wondered this myself when I first got a pair! I seem to recall it's a design consideration around front tyres doing braking and rears doing mostly acceleration.

Soldato
The front tyre is backwards on almost every tyre design to prolong its life. If it was the normal way round the pointy bit would wear too quickly under braking. Reversing it makes very little difference for removing water. There’s a few videos on YouTube explaining it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The front tyre is backwards on almost every tyre design to prolong its life. If it was the normal way round the pointy bit would wear too quickly under braking. Reversing it makes very little difference for removing water. There’s a few videos on YouTube explaining it.
Just don't mistake what Lakeland says with reversing the front tyre yourself :p It'll already be done if it needs reversing.

Always put the tyre on the way that the arrow/manufacturer tells you to. :)

Man of Honour
I just wonder how water is supposed to disperse from the tread?

Front tyres needs traction, and therefore to disperse water, under braking. This is the opposite of the rear wheel which needs traction under acceleration.

Hmm... that's not what all the manufacturers say.

Associate
Monstrous and familiar. My first motorcycle experience, and the one that set me on this path 30 odd years ago, was on the back of a 350LC. Awesome. If you ever come down to Box Hill or the Ace Cafe let me know as I'd love to see it in the flesh!

Soldato
Just don't mistake what Lakeland says with reversing the front tyre yourself :p It'll already be done if it needs reversing.

Always put the tyre on the way that the arrow/manufacturer tells you to. :)

Lol yes, good advice.

Front tyres needs traction, and therefore to disperse water, under braking. This is the opposite of the rear wheel which needs traction under acceleration.

Hmm... that's not what all the manufacturers say.

Unless you've misinterpreted my post, it is exactly what they say:

Tea Drinker
Don
Couple of bits to do now. Coolant leak on the head which could have been disaster insofar as having to strip the top end is just a broken temperature sender. Air leak in the carbs somewhere. Needs setting up properly balancing etc.

Mega happy it runs :D

My cabin now stinks of petrol and two stroke

Associate
Debating on braving the cold to fit this, the old one is broken and has been removed:
45144661_10156740630917889_4471175377359732736_n.jpg

On a tread pattern so pronounced in a ‘v’ shape, like on this Avon, I'm surprised this is the correct orientation. I would have thought that having the point face backwards would mean that surface water is forced towards the centre of the tyre, causing it to aquaplane as the water has nowhere else to go but put push the tyre off the road. In the other direction the water is forced out the sides. Hey-ho!

Soldato
I think one point that wasn’t labourerd enough in the video I posted was that you don’t actually have a full contact patch like you do with a rear tyre or more so with a car tyre. All you need it a valley for the water to go rather than somewhere to evacuate it. I’m sure they started with it the ‘right way round’ by soon realised tyre wear was poor and when trialling it the other way, there was minimal loss in grip.

Even MotoGP tyres have the same style pattern although the V is less pronounced. You don’t see the channels feeding anywhere, when they meet the centre of the tyre it’s a dead end, maybe that’s what forces the water backwards when it’s full.

Back
Top Bottom