*** Sky Q Thread ***

Caporegime
Yes, Sky installed Sky+hd five years ago when we moved in. 2 x twin cables from quad LNB. Upstairs and downstairs. 2 x HD boxes.
Last year, we got an email that because we had been with them for so long, we could upgrade to Sky Q. The engineer came, changed the LNB, but used the old cables already in situ. Not sure about liability. But with Sky Q, you only ever hire the equipment. If its a cable issue, and if its something we've caused, I expect a charge. Else not.
The upstairs cables are now disconnected, as the minibox does not need them, so I cant even test using freesat on my TV due to the wideband LNB.
I was not in when the engineer came last week, it was my wife. Unfortunately, she's not as nosey as I am. According to Sky, engineers report just says no fault found.
Everything will be covered by the Sky Engineer visit, nothing to pay.

Associate
What an absolute joke . The engineer came around with a face like a slapped backside. It was raining...he took one look at the satellite dish with a sky lnb on it and said he couldn’t get up there to that height for health and safety reasons...

He wanted to install another dish lower down and run a new cable into the lounge....the lounge already has two satellite cables already installed in it.

Then things went bad to worse...he said that the sky mini boxes wouldn’t work over WiFi due to the length from the router....I said you can connect them over cat 6 cable....he said he didn’t know how to do this....

He rang his mate from the study and proceeded to explain the setup...he clearly didn’t have a clue and just Came across like he CBA....

I said....all you need to do is swap out the lnb....fit a sky Q lnb then join the cables with a coupler and connect the box.

He said he couldn’t do what I wanted...

He wanted to install a new dish in a different location. Run a wire around my house and drill a new hole in the wall entering my lounge....

In the end I sent him packing....I rang sky to cancel and explained what had happened....

They apologised and said that I should get the dish and lnb installed by a third party and ring them when this is done and an engineer would come and connect the q boxes and the minis over lan....

I’m speechless !

Whatever you do don't get a 3rd party to install the dish or LNB.

Long story cut short.

Moved into a new property in August had sky booked for the home move and Sky Q install.

Our dish is on the apex of the roof engineer said not allowed up there its too high get a 3rd party in to fit a dish and they would complete it.

Got a local company to fit a wideband dish and LNB different sky engineer comes back and say signal isn't good enough on his meter and won't install. Had 3rd party company back again to check the dish and signal was told all fine so got sky back again. Sky engineer 3 came out and said the signal is still not good enough. Unhappy with his explanation I asked him to get a box and show me the signal is to bad rather than just relying on his meter.

He brought a box in 80 strength and 90 quality on the menu but his boss said as the meter said no he couldn't install but could have put a dish lower down. I agreed but he then said he didn't have time to do it so book again. He then took the box away as he stated he wasn't allowed to leave it.

Had sky engineer 4 out a few days later so I told him what was to be done dish location etc only to be told this is a service call I can't issue any equipment as you have a 1tb box. After a discussion he checked our call out records and could see the previous engineer had noted he had removed the box and taken it back with him. Fortunately this engineer was a credit to Sky he understood our frustations and said he would stay with us until we had resolved this wih Sky over the phone.

Now the fun begins as Sky think we have a 1tb box even though their engineer clearly stated in his notes that he had removed it from the property. It seems nobody at Sky knows how to remove a box from a customers account so after an hour on the phone they decided the only way they could solve the problem was to upgrade the box we don't have to a 2TB box which I wasn't prepared to pay for and miraculously they waived the fee. This meant having sky enginer 5 out which I refused and insisted they sent the same engineer back to the complete the job as I was fed up of explaning myself every time.

A couple of days later upgrade and install completed and I have a 2TB Sky Q box but would warn anyone of the 3rd party route as I now have 2 dishes only 1 of which is in use.

Don
Just had a power cut and now the q box gets stuck on the blue "when the screen goes blank press home to begin" screen.

Managed to figure out how to do a forced update (hold power button for 10 seconds whilst plugging in), do giving that a go.

Associate
My saga is on-going. Engineer came last Wednesday, checked everything. Could not find anything wrong.
He changed Q box and LNB just in case one of them had an intermittent fault. Everything working fine.
Just had a call from the missus. No Satellite Signal fault has happened again. Engineer booked for Thursday. I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Man of Honour
OP
Netflix is here today. Called Sky this morning and it was sorted very quickly. Nice integration into the Sky menus, the Netflix app is also available and all working well.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I saw it this morning before work that I could upgrade through the box, they wanted another £35/month or something! Going to assume that's a bit bugged, as I already have all TV (less the £12/month Sky Q Experience).

What should it be if I already have box sets?

Associate
I saw it this morning before work that I could upgrade through the box, they wanted another £35/month or something! Going to assume that's a bit bugged, as I already have all TV (less the £12/month Sky Q Experience).

Probably means you're on a legacy or friends and family package. Apparently you need to call them to sort the upgrade out, although looking at the Sky forums people on friends & family or legacy F1 packages won't be grandfathered like before!

Caporegime

I have just upgraded online on the Sky website,, (I also already have box sets) and it has come through as £5 extra per month.

They invoice Ultimate Box Sets as the upgrade at £10 per month, then subtract £5 per month as discount.

So Only charging £5 per month to add Netflix.

Associate

It's only £5 a month. My brother had to call them as they charged him 44.99 but have since sorted it

Soldato
Premium Netflix is only £5 a month if you have multirool and a silver box. So a saving of well £5 I intergrated mine through sky com then chose a show on the silver box, Netflix loaded and recognised the email address associated with sky and Netflix and stopped my PayPal sub.
I checked Netflix 4k on my silver box and all seems well then booted up the app on my B7 and sure enough Dolby vision is still available.

As a plus point the Netflix app on the firestick in the bedroom doesn't pass through Dolby digital to my TV then on via optical to my surround system but the q mini does so I get a surround sound upgrade in the bedroom :)

Associate
Sky are giving the full Sky Q experience with a mini box for an extra £12 a month with no installation up front costs. Hopefully the installation goes ok for me in 2 weeks time.

Associate
Before i start my tv may not be the best in the world but it does for us it is a LG - 60UH850V

Hey guys i just added the netflix to my sky today i have the 2tb box. does the dolby vision and 4khdr not work through the sky app.

Also when i use the netflix app via the tv`s web os . i can play dolby vision content fine.
As soon as i try to play any 4k ultra hd. the content will play yet i have no hdr pop up on my screen thus its not in 4khdr.
Has anyone else experienced this ??

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Probably means you're on a legacy or friends and family package. Apparently you need to call them to sort the upgrade out, although looking at the Sky forums people on friends & family or legacy F1 packages won't be grandfathered like before!

Yea I have a F&F package, maybe that's why. I'll have to give them a call and see what they say.

Associate
No ATMOS either. Disappointing.

HDR is not enabled on Sky Q so no iteration of it will work.
I suspect HDR support will have to wait until Sky are finally able to deliver it for their own content. Politically it wouldn't look too good if Netflix could deliver HDR on Sky Q, but Sky can't themselves. Just wish they'd hurry up and sort whatever technical issues they've been having with it...

Caporegime
I suspect HDR support will have to wait until Sky are finally able to deliver it for their own content. Politically it wouldn't look too good if Netflix could deliver HDR on Sky Q, but Sky can't themselves. Just wish they'd hurry up and sort whatever technical issues they've been having with it...
I believe the issues is there are multiple standards of HDR and Sky have always been wary of adopting the wrong standard so they usually sit back and wait. I've heard it'll be a year or so before HDR on Q and yes, HDR and Atmos won't work through the Q box with Netflix either.

Back
Top Bottom