*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
I believe the issues is there are multiple standards of HDR and Sky have always been wary of adopting the wrong standard so they usually sit back and wait. I've heard it'll be a year or so before HDR on Q and yes, HDR and Atmos won't work through the Q box with Netflix either.
HDR10 is the only mainstream and widely adopted standard for HDR, although Netflix also support the technically superior Dolby Vision (HDR+ won't go anywhere). My understanding is that the issue with Sky is of a technical nature being able to encode live broadcast content. Besides, most mainstream TVs now support multiple HDR standards anyway. Sky are seriously lagging behind other content providers in lacking HDR support which is arguably more important than 4K alone.

Soldato
HDR10 is the only mainstream and widely adopted standard for HDR, although Netflix also support the technically superior Dolby Vision (HDR+ won't go anywhere). My understanding is that the issue with Sky is of a technical nature being able to encode live broadcast content. Besides, most mainstream TVs now support multiple HDR standards anyway. Sky are seriously lagging behind other content providers in lacking HDR support which is arguably more important than 4K alone.
Was going to reply to say this. HDR10 is base HDR, anything else is an extension. Why not support them all? Surely it cannot be that difficult.

Soldato
For 4k sky in Italy, seems they use HLG for live football (whether they have hdr for games outside italy though ? ie. broadcast infrastructure) and streamed films, versus netflix with dv or hdr10;
so if they want to enable all of them at the same time, maybe netflix on-boarding will have delayed update, or will they change to netflix standard ?

I thought there were mixed opinions on the BBC hlg streams too ... so is HLG still the industry direction (despite japan/italy use)

Associate
For 4k sky in Italy, seems they use HLG for live football (whether they have hdr for games outside italy though ? ie. broadcast infrastructure) and streamed films, versus netflix with dv or hdr10;
so if they want to enable all of them at the same time, maybe netflix on-boarding will have delayed update, or will they change to netflix standard ?

I thought there were mixed opinions on the BBC hlg streams too ... so is HLG still the industry direction (despite japan/italy use)
Can't see HLG going anywhere (despite supposedly being designed entirely for live broadcast). Content is king and there is probably too much readily available content in HDR10 and DV for any other standard to succeed. The likes of Netflix and Amazon are in the driving seat here.

Man of Honour
How much did you pay to upgrade, and how did you contact them, live chat/online/phone? Did you get any offer for the upgrade?

Phone. Not sure about offers. We will save 50p a month :D! About £90 a month I think it works out. £60 installation. 2Tb main box, plus another tv room box. Plus the F1 channel and standard entertainment package.

Soldato
I was surprised with Q pricing. I was on a 50% deal with Sky and using Vodafone for my Fibre. Bring my broadband to Sky and the cost with everything at sky is about the same as I was paying - however I've not got a 2TB Q Box and a mini for upstairs.

Associate
Is there a way to get the Sky Q mini box to display to anologue sources? I've got a TV in the kitchen (15" non-HD) that other than Freeview has component or composite in. Would be handy to share it to another room.

Associate
That's interesting, I'd heard that Sky installers carried adaptors around with them for these circumstance, however this seems to be a much debated topic of do they, don't they.

Associate
Let me ask and I will get back to you.
Thanks, I did a search, albeit briefly through Google and some were saying the installers carried them with them and they used if requested, others saying they had to be requested when an order is placed. I'd certainly be interested in getting another Q box in another room, I've only got the one minibox and would be good to have in a couple of others. If I could get the one box for the kitchen with analogue connectivity it would be great, especially if (although unlikely) I could utilise the £30 self install option, but £60 isn't exactly an issue.

Edit; This is the link about self install from Sky regarding analogue on the mini: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/setting-up-your-sky-q-mini-box-with-a-non-hdmi-tv

Another edit; I've just seen through the powers of Google (not checked my own Mini yet) but there appears to be a 3.5mm socket outputting to 3 RCA.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I did a search, albeit briefly through Google and some were saying the installers carried them with them and they used if requested, others saying they had to be requested when an order is placed. I'd certainly be interested in getting another Q box in another room, I've only got the one minibox and would be good to have in a couple of others. If I could get the one box for the kitchen with analogue connectivity it would be great, especially if (although unlikely) I could utilise the £30 self install option, but £60 isn't exactly an issue.

Edit; This is the link about self install from Sky regarding analogue on the mini: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/setting-up-your-sky-q-mini-box-with-a-non-hdmi-tv

Another edit; I've just seen through the powers of Google (not checked my own Mini yet) but there appears to be a 3.5mm socket outputting to 3 RCA.

I wasn't clear I guess in my post above

I had a self install mini through about 2 weeks ago.

In the box under the unit is an analogue adaptor cable.

The installers don't leave them behind if you request installation.

Back
Top Bottom