• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700k 4.8ghz stable...

Associate
Z
run my 8700k at 5ghz with 1.248v

rock solid with a kraken x62

Wow, after a delid?

My 8700K system arrived Friday. Cooling on air (Thermalright Archon SB-E X2) I just couldn't get 4.9GHz stable so dropped to 4.8 and kept lowering voltage to find 1.25v is stable. Prime95 temps peak at 79°c. Normally I would be theikked with this but I fancy a change so have ordered a Corsair H115i which should be arriving soon and aim to push to 5GHz and beyond. I shan't be delidding yet as I'm just not happyvoidong the warranty and tinkering with CPU worth twice as much as any other I've owned, especially when temps/clocks are pretty decent.

Associate
Hello there,

I've kinda dropped the idea of OC for few months but i'm getting into it again.

I have a delid cpu, running at stock cores valued and i've tried to set up an oc profile but I have some issues with it

Tried at 48 all core
manual override
vcore 1.26

it passes some quick test, havent done a long one not sure what to use actually but during gaming i had bsod crashes

BSOD clock watchdog timeout
BSOD driver irql not less or equal
BSOD reference by pointer bsod

My temps are around 60 to 66 on load.

Should i try to rise vcore even more? Saw some people running at 4.8 with a vcore like 1.2 or even less.. Did I lose at the cpu lottery?
:)

Thanks for the help

Should I try to raise vcore? Is there other settings to tweak ? I'm not really familiar for LLC for example

Last edited:
Soldato
Just keep bumping vcore .01, so 1.27 next and keep temps under load below 75’c until your stable. 1.3 should see you stable so you could always come down from there until you see bsod, 1.30,1.29,1.28. might be quicker. Just monitor your temps.

Soldato
Managed to get my new 8700k to do 4 hours of Aida stability test at [email protected], level 2 LLC (Asrock extreme4 z390), temps sub 70c with H115i, no delid. Ran Intel stress test too for good measure. Looks like I might have a decent clocker for once.

Associate
Oh ok will do.

By the way what are the normal idle temps?

I have an Eisbaer lt 360 and get 37 to 45 idle temps with spikes around 50.

Is this normal with that OC?

Thanks again

Soldato
Went to 1.2655, avx offset 2, LLC 6

Seems good for now, max temps in game (Assassins creed odyssey) 67 degrees.

is that good?

For stability change the cache min/max a bit lower, the 8Pack bundles of old were all 44 min/max. Personally I find good results using 47/48 and I click mine up to 5.3 (benching) or 5.1 for normal use.

1.35v, LL6, usual setting depending on motherboard to make it more OC friendly. I would guess if you have a delid you could push 5+ easily with lower cache. Worth noting depends when you bought it, mine is original batch and later batches seem much lower bins... then you find out the 8086 comes out which is just the high bin 8700k that went missing ;)

Soldato
Oh ok will do.

By the way what are the normal idle temps?

I have an Eisbaer lt 360 and get 37 to 45 idle temps with spikes around 50.

Is this normal with that OC?

Thanks again
37 sounds OK, the higher temps are probably due to the cpu actually doing something, check task manager/processor usage. CPU usage is proportional to temp.

Associate
For stability change the cache min/max a bit lower, the 8Pack bundles of old were all 44 min/max. Personally I find good results using 47/48 and I click mine up to 5.3 (benching) or 5.1 for normal use.

1.35v, LL6, usual setting depending on motherboard to make it more OC friendly. I would guess if you have a delid you could push 5+ easily with lower cache. Worth noting depends when you bought it, mine is original batch and later batches seem much lower bins... then you find out the 8086 comes out which is just the high bin 8700k that went missing ;)

For the cache i left it at 42/42 i shoud rise it?

Soldato
For the cache i left it at 42/42 i shoud rise it?

Not essential - there are some pretty decent guides on good settings but if you have decent cooling should be capable.

Would guess with 1.3-1.35 you can do 5+ easy on most of these chips, there are a few things in BIOS to disable like spread spectrum (I think it’s called).

Check VCCSA and VCCIO as they can be aggressive in auto, set to 1.1 or 1.15 if more stable. Other than that your settings are really core/cache which 44 would be decent and ratio of 50 for example @ 1.3v core and LLC6.

Associate
I dont really plan to go to 5ghz, for what i saw it would need a lot more voltage than what i've put already and i'm concerned about temps and noise so i'd like to have a good one at 4.8 already.

VCCSA and VCCIO what sould i put for 4.8 and 1.266 vcore?

Soldato
For vccio here's what i have:

http://www.noelshack.com/2018-44-7-1541330446-45418657-911073329088508-8566299374085210112-n.jpg

Vccsa i don't know where it is

Using LLc 5 isn't better for temps than 6 ?

if is used an adaptive vcore, would it be better for temps?.

It’s the system agent voltage, 1.15 on both should be enough. LLC changes maybe but I would think you could get stable before heading to that.

Adaptive only really when it steps down but I would find stable manual maximum first.

Associate
I guess it's stable now, i tried an adaptive setting but the vcore doesnt goes down a lot,

SVID Enabled
SVID behavior : best case scenario
addtional turbo mode core : 1.265
offset -
IA DC Loadline : 0.01
IA AC Loadline : 0.01

But the vcore for what i see in HW monitor goes from 1.20 to 1.28 . Shouldn't it goes lower on idle?

Associate
I found why the vcore wasn't dropping by the way ! Just needed to put Min Cache ration to auto and just fix the max one ! I was wondering if there is any utility to do the same thing in manual oc, will voltage drop too?

EDIT : Well i came back to the manual setting, I realized in adaptive one, there was a weird sound coming out of the cpu, something close to the sound of a working HDD mixed with a buzzing.. No Idea what causes that, if someone has some idea? :)

Last edited:
Associate
Well worth delidding yourself or getting someone to do it for you, I got a mate who lives in Derby to do mine. I still need 1.38 for 5ghz (1.29 for 4.8) but max temps are 64 running blender etc (that's with case fans really low). Idle its 26-28 degrees.

Associate
It's already delidded.
I don't know why my temps are not as cool as yours, on idle, 1.26vcore, 4.8 i'm at 36 degrees with some spikes to 45 sometimes

I never used blender for test and stress, how does that works?

Associate
Eisbaer LT 360 but I don't think my temps are nowhere near dangerous or weird.

35 idle and max max max 70c on some stress test, in game i've never saw cores above 66 degrees on cpu demanding games like the last assassin's creed

Associate
that's strange how high your idle temps are considering your low volts. Have your tried reapplying thermal paste? My idle temps were like yours before I delidded

Back
Top Bottom