Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Soldato
No, it's not even confirmed as coming to PC, the previous one never did, although success of GTA V means people are hopeful this time.

Even if it does I reckon you'll be waiting over a year for a PC version.
Thanks

Didn't see anything on there website saying what platforms it was available on...https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/

EDIT: Ok when you go to the order page it says...:o

Soldato
And after the game has decided I'm going to get drunk and pass out in a field, I'm not back at camp, without a horse.

Am I expected to walk back to town to get my horse that this stupid goddamn game decided it was going to leave there?
Could have been worse, if you failed to get over the fence you end up in prison :p

Soldato
In a word, yes.

But you can always steal a horse for the journey back to town. Or if you have a stabled horse and a bit of cash, there's a camp upgrade that lets you recall stabled horses to camp.

Same thing happened to me on a different mission.

I took an unsaddled horse back into town. Got to the saloon. Some guy wanders a bit close just as I'm tying it up. BAM. WANTED.

A lawman appears. I use the 'Defuse' option and he tells me to get on my way. I turn and mount my horse to leave.

Everyone instantly stars shooting at me.

It's like the game has been intentionally designed to be as non-fun as possible. You can't even do boring stuff without it killing you.

Soldato
Could have been worse, if you failed to get over the fence you end up in prison :p

Is this still just a tutorial section where it railroads you into situations until you know the mechanics, before it actually turns into an open world game, or does the whole game play out with you just being a passive observer?

Soldato
Is this still just a tutorial section where it railroads you into situations until you know the mechanics, before it actually turns into an open world game, or does the whole game play out with you just being a passive observer?
The story will always guide you because that's how the story works but at the stage of the game you're at you can already go and do what you want really. Start talking to people, pick up side quests etc.

It's exactly the same principle as the story in GTA games - the story is pretty inflexible to the point it's a borderline interactive movie more than a game at times but you can follow it at your leisure and entertain yourself in other ways if you want.

You have to go looking for other things to do though, it won't lay this stuff out on a plate.

You need to listen to the dialogue too as it gives useful information all the time. Your earlier post about the mission where you got the money from the chimney - the other characters tell you that you can't hang around long as the law will be on their way.

Soldato
I took an unsaddled horse back into town. Got to the saloon. Some guy wanders a bit close just as I'm tying it up. BAM. WANTED.

A lawman appears. I use the 'Defuse' option and he tells me to get on my way. I turn and mount my horse to leave.

Everyone instantly stars shooting at me.

It's like the game has been intentionally designed to be as non-fun as possible. You can't even do boring stuff without it killing you.

I let those people kill me, thinking I'll just restart the checkpoint and carefully walk into town so as not to trigger any retarded bounties, and fetch my horse.

I respawn in town.

My nice horse isn't there.

I sigh, and go to get the crappy unsaddled horse. Some dude gets thrown out of the saloon window. A scripted animation plays where two guys wrestle while glitched and stood inside my horse. I finally get my horse once the glitch sorts itself out.

I set a waypoint for camp to hopefully go and get my decent horse. Start heading out through town.

Someone's dog runs in front of my horse and it gets trampled.

WANTED.

Screw this game.

Soldato
The entire 'game' is just you being a passenger pretty much. You cannot deviate from the main story, it's effectively a movie that you watch, you don't really partake or act in it. For example I just finished Chapter 5 which comprised of pressing up for 20 minutes (yes, really) and having a couple of shootouts. I want a refund lol.
Chapter 5 really is a mess. It doesn't belong in the game.

I haven't finished yet, but so far I'm pretty sure you could take chapter 5 out of the game and it would be exactly the same!

Soldato
I let those people kill me, thinking I'll just restart the checkpoint and carefully walk into town so as not to trigger any retarded bounties, and fetch my horse.

I respawn in town.

I sigh, and go to get the crappy unsaddled horse. Some dude gets thrown out of the saloon window. A scripted animation plays where two guys wrestle while glitched and stood inside my horse. I finally get my horse once the glitch sorts itself out.

I set a waypoint for camp to hopefully go and get my decent horse. Start heading out through town.

WANTED.

Screw this game.
I literally don't think you could be having a more polarised experience with this game compared to mine. I don't think I've ended up with a bounty on me except when I've done it on purpose (or the story has done it).

Soldato
I literally don't think you could be having a more polarised experience with this game compared to mine. I don't think I've ended up with a bounty on me except when I've done it on purpose (or the story has done it).

I'm starting the see the funny side tbh. It's like a dark tragi-comedy where an unlucky outlaw is stuck in a time loop, doomed to be gunned down every few minutes for increasingly unlucky and bizarre infractions :)

Soldato
The entire 'game' is just you being a passenger pretty much. You cannot deviate from the main story, it's effectively a movie that you watch, you don't really partake or act in it. For example I just finished Chapter 5 which comprised of pressing up for 20 minutes (yes, really) and having a couple of shootouts. I want a refund lol.
I found some the tomb raider games where like this..

Soldato
This game has some of the most dumbed down gameplay you can get! Most of the missions all you do is follow a marker then have a shootout. And if you don't do things precisely as the game tells you to you get a game over screen!

The Dumbing down argument is a nonsense one.

I have to say that whilst I'm still engrossed in the game and enjoying it, chapter 5 is testing my resolve.

Yeah I was on about his specific comment on modern gamers in general, I still have no stance on this game as havent yet started it. :)

Soldato

I respawn in town.

WANTED.

Screw this game.

Lol you're playing a different game to me.

Soldato

I respawn in town.

WANTED.

Screw this game.

I think you're just bad at the game tbh. I've not run one dog over for example...

I don't think I'm having any of the issues you are. It seems you've already decided you don't like it. For example, saying "It's really starting to bother me how much of a passenger you are in the game. Why bother making this amazingly complex world and then not giving you any agency to do what you want in it?" when you can go do whatever you want, but if you choose a story mission, it needs to tell the story obviously! You should probably just stop playing now.

Personally, I'm about 25 hours in and whilst I'm not in such awe as I was when I started, I'm still really enjoying it and not finding any of the problems some of you guys are.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm a bit surprised that you think you can do whatever you want on a scripted mission?! I know the mission he's on about and I had none of those issues, thought it was a quite a funny set piece in all honesty. You need to expect to be driven down a certain narrative in a story mission. The whole idea of that mission is to get you and that other character drunk, it mentions it right at the beginning!

Soldato
I think you're just bad at the game tbh. I've not run one dog over for example...

I don't think I'm having any of the issues you are. It seems you've already decided you don't like it. For example, saying "It's really starting to bother me how much of a passenger you are in the game. Why bother making this amazingly complex world and then not giving you any agency to do what you want in it?" when you can go do whatever you want, but if you choose a story mission, it needs to tell the story obviously! You should probably just stop playing now.

Personally, I'm about 25 hours in and whilst I'm not in such awe as I was when I started, I'm still really enjoying it and not finding any of the problems some of you guys are.

Read my earlier posts.

I went out to do some open world stuff, collect a debt. I got in a firefight with some O'Driscolls. I killed them all, then the screen faded to black and I was back at the camp the next morning, with a new story mission waiting, so I assumed this was some mechanic to 'encourage' me to take the mission.

I took the mission, and it presented me with the illusion of choice (press RT to drink)....but I got drunk anyway.

There are indefensible design flaws in this game. I'm willing to accept I am being unlucky, but it is most definitely not without some serious flaws.

Soldato
I've been trying to find the white arabian horse up by the lake for the past hour or so now. I havent spotted it once. It's making me contemplate not bothering not looking for it anymore ! lol

Soldato
No idea what happened with the fade to black and then back to camp, never encountered that and honestly don't even recall reading that it happened to anyone else. It's not a game mechanic at all, at best a bug but if I'm honest it sounds like something else has happened that you haven't noticed or mentioned.

In terms of a story mission where you're told to go get drunk with someone and being annoyed you couldn't choose to not get drunk, well I'm not aware of many games that give you the option to ignore the objectives and continue anyway :p

Soldato
I went out to do some open world stuff, collect a debt. I got in a firefight with some O'Driscolls. I killed them all, then the screen faded to black and I was back at the camp the next morning, with a new story mission waiting, so I assumed this was some mechanic to 'encourage' me to take the mission.

Never seen this happen, so can't really comment...

I took the mission, and it presented me with the illusion of choice (press RT to drink)....but I got drunk anyway.

Why do you think it presented you with a choice? Was it just the one option? That's not a choice, it needs you to do it. I don't get the issue? As said, your mission was to get the guy drunk?!

Back
Top Bottom