• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has anyone bought the 9700k? Worth the upgrade from a 6700k ?

Soldato
I have one. I haven't overclocked yet and may not even bother. The TechPowerUp review is probably the most thorough so far. I posted links to it in a couple of the other threads. It beats the 8700K in most tests but it can be quite close with highly-threaded tasks. Surprisingly, it beats the 9900K at gaming where loss of HT is a benefit.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_9700K/

Last edited:
Soldato
Btw there are some benchmark videos.
Here comparing IPC (all CPUs at 4.2Ghz)

Here all at full blown OC

Please note he is using a heavily overclocked RTX2080Ti and 3866C18 ram.

Any lesser GPU and the performance difference is much smaller.

OcUK Staff
Caporegime
how can it be overpriced if its the same price as a older slower chip ? but newer and faster ? :D

i am messing but the original statement is true. its a good price for the cpu.

OcUK Staff
It's a good price out of all the prices out there but it's still way overpriced.

Well I can tell you this if all pound strength remained as it was today and we got 1000 tray in stock at the correct price from Intel for 1000 units, with no additional markup from distribution or gouging, the lowest we could hit would be £359 - £369, so to put it bluntly its not massively out on price any more, but for those who are concerned over saving £30-£50 then wait a few months and I am sure they will hit around that price based on current exchange rate. Pound gets stronger then better, gets weaker than worse.

Most other UK competitors who have stock are still around £500, so were a good chunk cheaper. :)

Associate
Btw there are some benchmark videos.
Here comparing IPC (all CPUs at 4.2Ghz)

Here all at full blown OC

Please note he is using a heavily overclocked RTX2080Ti and 3866C18 ram.

Any lesser GPU and the performance difference is much smaller.
I viewed this thread and instantly though if I will regret purchasing a z370 board which I did last week.
I'm happy to say that for the money you spend the performance bump is not great if at all noticeable.

Associate
Well I can tell you this if all pound strength remained as it was today and we got 1000 tray in stock at the correct price from Intel for 1000 units, with no additional markup from distribution or gouging, the lowest we could hit would be £359 - £369, so to put it bluntly its not massively out on price any more, but for those who are concerned over saving £30-£50 then wait a few months and I am sure they will hit around that price based on current exchange rate. Pound gets stronger then better, gets weaker than worse.

Most other UK competitors who have stock are still around £500, so were a good chunk cheaper. :)

Wasn't having a pop at you specifically more at Intel for their dodgy supply lines. As you mentioned I was going to buy one but I'm just going to wait till it normalises.

Soldato
I have one. I haven't overclocked yet and may not even bother. The TechPowerUp review is probably the most thorough so far. I posted links to it in a couple of the other threads. It beats the 8700K in most tests but it can be quite close with highly-threaded tasks. Surprisingly, it beats the 9900K at gaming where loss of HT is a benefit.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_9700K/

You must be mad not to overclock when spending that kind of money on a cpu? So the 9900k performs better with the HT disabled, is it worth disabling the HT on my 8086k?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom