Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Soldato
I personally love the realism and slow pace.....its a refreshing change from the quick gratification and crazy action of most of today's AAA games, but do think the controls are frustrating and can see how some might find it boring.

Same, I'm enjoying taking my time with it, it's a pleasure jjust riding through the environments taking it all in, doing a bit of exploring along the way. It somehow manages to feel less like you're being distracted from the main storyline and instead just encountering these things in a very organic way. The attention to detail is utterly absurd, and the game has surely (hopefully) set the bar very high for other developers to match in terms of NPCs, dialogue, and character animations. I love how things you pick up in the world are actually picked up and put in the satchel, and plants are pulled out of the ground and stripped. It makes the most recent Tomb Raider look like even less polished than it did already.

I do think Rockstar could have perhaps done more to communicate with fans what sort of game they were going for here, and the pace at which it plays out. That said, despite all these extra mechanics around hunting, eating, looking after the camp and the horse etc, they don't really come across as being too intrusive, certainly not to the way I'm playing anyway.

Combat is about the only thing I do find frustrating, largely because of the controls which can feel quite clunky in the heat of the moment.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I am quite conflicted in this game at times, it is quite strange! I look forward to playing it and once I am i'm in it it's fine, other times the slowness of Arthur bugs me and the whole slowness does too, I think it depends what I am doing at the time - It is a great game but on the other hand quite frustrating - Almost like a love/hate thing!

I am continuing to play through though - Half way through Chapter 3 :D

It definitely seems like a marmite game going by some of the comments.

And, Arthur isn't some young whipper snapper :p He's middle aged and weary, hence the slow laboured animations for him.

On the animations side I love the weight/physics they portray when moving, or doing anything for that matter. The way weight shifts going up or down hill, getting on and off your horse etc. It really helps connect the characters to the environment.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
I keep reading about this Gavin in various threads, has anyone else on here still yet to encounter Gavin's friend, I'm up to chapter 3 and still not seen this guy.

I found him shouting his head off in Blackwater the other day. I'm still yet to find his friend.

I think it's an easter egg that we need to find out personally. Just like the vampire doing the rounds in Saint Denis.

Associate
OP
I found him shouting his head off in Blackwater the other day. I'm still yet to find his friend.

I think it's an easter egg that we need to find out personally. Just like the vampire doing the rounds in Saint Denis.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a R* internal gag with an employee called Gavin going AWOL or some messy staff night out and a colleague was shouting "Where's GAVIN?!" in an intoxicated state.

Shawrey

Associate
I'm getting really fed up with some of the glitches / bugs in this game. So far lost my pimped out Schofield, Pump action and Lancaster, they just disappeared out the inventory. Not to mention the infuriating weapon selection system whilst on your horse, find yourself stuck in a gunfight as all your weapons have been stowed away on the horse.

Enjoying it overall though, just some really irritating issues pop up every now and then.

Soldato
Wouldn't surprise me if it's a R* internal gag with an employee called Gavin going AWOL or some messy staff night out and a colleague was shouting "Where's GAVIN?!" in an intoxicated state.

Shawrey
Think I heard somewhere that the guy who voices Gavin's mate is from a YouTube show or something and Gavin is one of the hosts on it. Not sure where I read that tough.

Either way

**** Gavin!

Soldato
Think I heard somewhere that the guy who voices Gavin's mate is from a YouTube show or something and Gavin is one of the hosts on it. Not sure where I read that tough.

Either way

**** Gavin!
Not Dan from Slow Mo Guys? Gavin is his co-host.

edit: Nah, he's not in the credits.

Associate
OP
I'm getting really fed up with some of the glitches / bugs in this game. So far lost my pimped out Schofield, Pump action and Lancaster, they just disappeared out the inventory. Not to mention the infuriating weapon selection system whilst on your horse, find yourself stuck in a gunfight as all your weapons have been stowed away on the horse.

Enjoying it overall though, just some really irritating issues pop up every now and then.

Hearing you about the Schofield. Mine magically disappeared after stealing it from the place you can early in the game. Wasn't too bothered though, as I now have a nice Double Action Revolver which wipes the floor with it IMO.

I roll, Double Action w/Sawn Off in off hand, Lancaster Repeater and Bolt Action - good setup with coverage across the ranges. Swapping out the Bolt Action for the Rolling Block w/Long Scope for big game hunting as not sure the Bolt Action has the 1 hit power to bring down a 3* animal. Perhaps someone can confirm this can be done? Might need express ammo.

Shawrey

Gee

Gee

Soldato

Shawrey

I've done some reading and I believe it's to do with Achievement Hunter, or something like that.

I'm still at 94.9% total completion, some of the challenges are an absolute PITA. Can't for the life of me locate a Robin or Chipmunk neither for the Hunting tasks.

Also need to win 3 games of dominoes, without drawing one, zzzzzz.

Soldato
I've been out to watch the rugby and had a few beers :p

Think I've got the xbox sharing stuff to work.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/middgen/video/63038861

This is the one that's just happened, completely maddening. I go and do what I think is an open world activity, collecting a debt. I get there, we get into this QTE where I give him a smack, threaten him a bit....then suddenly....we cut to a cinematic? I'm riding through the woods? Where from? Where to? Why am I on a completely different horse from the one I rode in on? Why have I just been dumped back in control in some random place, I have no idea where it is, or why I'm there?

The horse that you see in the cinematic (NOT the horse I had when I started the cinematic), is the one I was looking for earlier....it wasn't back at camp...so why has it appeared now?

I wasn't so sure about your complaint with this when I read it yesterday, but last night I ended up stumbling onto this mission myself and I completely agree with you. It's pretty rubbish how it plays out. I was on my way to rescue Micah (a mission from the camp that doesn't appear to force you into it right away), and as I was passing the road I noticed the yellow on the map nearby. I expanded the map and it was this debt collection mission. As it was just a slight detour away from the road I was taking to get to Micah, I decided I'd do it whilst I was around that part of the map (it's a fair way away from the camp and past Valentine). So I went up to the farm, found the guy to question, and ended up getting pushed into the QTE as you described. I finished this, and then sure enough, two people come running out of the house, I've completed the mission but then all control is taken away from me and Arthur is suddenly walking back and mounting up, and then he's riding all the way back to camp through a long cinematic that I have no control over. WTF?!. When the cinematic had finished, I walked back into the camp, but then until you go back to Strauss to hand it in, you're not able to leave the camp. The most infuriating thing about it was that I was only doing the mission whilst on the way to another and the game doesn't allow that. I had no idea that it would automatically cut to a cinematic view of my character riding back to camp with no intervention allowed by myself. So now if I encounter any missions along the way, I'll have to be careful about picking them up if I'm already in the middle of doing something else because the game doesn't allow you to have a rolling mission log (like most games these days do) but expects you to only be able to accomplish one thing. I guess the cinematic was to force me back to camp to hand it in, but I didn't want it to do that. I was happy to go off and do other stuff. This seems completely contradictory to the games open world feel.

In the end, I couldn't be bothered to head to where Micah's mission was, and ended up picking up another mission from the camp instead. But yeah, it's a silly thing to have happen and I agree with you that it's maddening. Open world should be open world. You should have a rolling mission log. I don't want to be forced to complete the single task that I'm on. Most games would allow you to pick up the mission and then instead of riding out of the camp with the giver (if necessary), they'd just go and wait at the starting point for the mission until you decided to go and find them. It's the same with all the missions so far. If you start it up, you'd best be damned sure that you want to complete it because you don't have another choice once you've started.

Soldato
Just finished, loved every minute of it. Great story and brilliantly designed world and awesome graphics on the X. Controls can let the game down at times but overall what a great game.

Caporegime
My new major annoyance with this game is horse riding through trees, as you turn to avoid hitting them sometimes the game seems to think that it knows best, pulls the other way and end is result is you end up riding headlong into a tree.

Associate
My new major annoyance with this game is horse riding through trees, as you turn to avoid hitting them sometimes the game seems to think that it knows best, pulls the other way and end is result is you end up riding headlong into a tree.

Are you using the stick to avoid trees or the drift option or whatever its called. The skill you get with the horse is the best way to avoud trees imo.

Soldato
Damn. Spoiler is about the stranger quest near the top right of the map -

I met that widow that you teach to hunt with Arthur about half way through the game. After a few days I saw that you can go back there as it popper up again on the screen... But I didn't go at all.

I have just been there with John and she is dead:(

Back
Top Bottom