May have bitten off more than I can chew...MR2 Winter project

Caporegime
Thanks for your reply The Running Man, they are particularly nice!

Whether its a bad idea or not, I have booked my MoT for tomorrow morning, I expect the tyres and emissions to cause problems - especially due to not being run properly for over three years.

But the garage can replace tyres if necessary - everything else I will have to fix, if I am allowed to drive the car away!

Fingers crossed!!

Good luck hope it passes. Let us know !

Soldato
OP
IT PASSED!!! :D

Advisories as follows:

Both rear inner sills starting to corrode
Offside Rear Wheel Bearing has slight play
Front offside tyre worn close to legal limit
Parking Brake at limit of efficiency

So not too bad at all!!!

They had to seal the exhaust to pass the emissions but all good apart from that!!

Caporegime

Advisories as follows:

So not too bad at all!!!

They had to seal the exhaust to pass the emissions but all good apart from that!!

That's good. Thought the high idle was just because it has been sat. Get some decent rubber on it then take it for a good blast! 3SGE's are solid engines.

Caporegime

Advisories as follows:

So not too bad at all!!!

Get in!!

Now you can go for a cruise in the sun this afternoon.and weekend and worry about things like wheels later!

Last edited:
Soldato
Started fishtailing Monday morning, hasn't stopped yet.

Lol :D

Reminds me of this old Toyota advert – it prepares you for the full MR2 experience by including a shot of one spinning out in the wet. :D

Is that a genuine advert? :eek:

Haha that is so 90's. Have to watch this at least once a month. Prodigy plus drifting MR2 and a legendary driver behind the wheel!

As good as it is to listen to the P it'd be nice to hear the engine too.

Soldato
OP
Hahah! I am happy to report, that I have yet to experience the strong arm of physics! *Crosses fingers* but I've had the back out on my previous RX8 and a Triumph Spitfire intentionally a few times, but I was younger then :D Ha Ha

Sorry I have been a bit quiet, university has been busy and I've been going for longer drives to check fuel economy on the car (and sort of playing chicken with my broken fuel gauge!) Currently getting 35+ MPG on long runs and 30+ on town driving. Don't want to really chance it past 300 miles!!

I've also finally put Toyo Proxes T1Rs all round. I've opted for 195/50/15 on the front and 225/50/15 on the back. All done for something like £212 with £25 fitting :D

I've heard mixed reviews of the Proxes but since taking it out in the wet weather, I haven't encountered any problems! Well not just yet anyway! I am still on the hunt for 16" staggered alloys, but I've got some brand new rubber for the next 6-12,000 miles at least.

I am going to get the tracking done tomorrow morning.

I also sorted my insurance out and got rid of the old 1999 plate Corsa B and used the money I got from selling it on the new tyres.

I also figured out that spraying WD40 in the seat belt retention mechanism has freed it up so no need for replacements, Yay!

Here is a list of stuff I still want to do in no particular order:

1). Spray the passenger side Pop up headlight cover the correct colour
2). Treat, prime and paint the rust on the rear sills and check for rust along each wing (Not bubbling yet, but you never know!).
3). Fill each sill cavity with Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50
4). Bleed the brake system and replace pipes/hoses
5). Fix the cold idle start valve which is making my cold start roughly 1800 RPM when it should be more like 1500 as far as I am aware.
6). Clean up, check the electrics and if required, replace the fuel sender as I am not getting a low fuel light and it's just reading empty. I've filled up two times already to try to persuade it to move but to no avail! I know it's the sender because it started moving when I shorted pins 1 and 3.
7). Fix the heater cable which is stuck between warm and hot, fix the heater pipe by the passenger foot well which is blowing cold all the time.
8). Fit the replacement 12v socket.
9). Figure out whether to fit the sub woofer and 'old school' earthquake power amplifier which came with the car. I need to test the sub woofer with a 1.5 AA battery though as it isn't working, the power amplifier is getting power though and is clicking on and I don't know if the RCA and high level cables are connected to the head unit.
10). Figure out why the handbrake is travelling so much - might need a rear caliper rebuild.

I am planning to get 6 - 8 sorted over the weekend. I need to get number 3 done as soon as possible and number 4 & 10 ideally, but no problems with the rest of the braking system.

Also, ever since running the car and putting redex in it, it isn't dying on me when left idling for long periods of time!! :D

Back
Top Bottom