Anyone used "We Buy Any Car"?

Soldato
So as explained in a previous post, I have a near 8 year old Octy vRS with 105k on the clock that is currently throwing up an error - telling me the inlet manifold will almost certainly require replacing.
I can clear this error and the error remains cleared for a while - I am confident that should I trade-in somewhere the light will remain off long enough for me to receive my quote :)

I was just wondering how well WBAC look at a car before making the final offer?
I know they will go around it with a fine toothcomb, just looking for any scratches/dents to knock the money off. Do they just start it up, check for error lights and that is it?
Or are we going to get some revving, some test driving - something more than just switching engine on & off again?

Private sale is off the table for me. I don't mind trading in and the car going to auction. I don't mind WBAC taking a hit. However I refuse to simply clear the error code and sell privately.

Soldato
When I sold my old DS3 to WBAC it was having issues with the high pressure fuel pump and I did the same with regards to clearing the code.

They spend more time going over the visual condition of the car rather than looking for mechanical errors. Mechanically the tests they did to mine were turn it on, let it idle for a couple of minutes, blipped the throttle a few times and he drove it a from one side of the car park to the other (about 100 meters) and tested the brakes then switched it off and went back to looking at the cosmetics.

Soldato
A guy I work with had a similar experience when he got rid of his old Octavia through WBAC. They knocked him off a couple of hundred due to exterior/interior scrapes and scratches. They didn't really care about the mechanicals at all, other than ensuring it started, ran smoothly and stopped. I presume they just dump them straight to auction so any issues which appear become the new owners problem.

Soldato
Both times I've sold a car to them they have a look around it for scratches and make sure it fires up whilst they are there, apart from that no mechanical checks at all.

Soldato
I had a number of jobs that needed doing to my 99' plate Corsa B and the MoT was coming up, so instead of paying £50 or so for an MoT, I decided to sell my Corsa, I got more money than I expected (as I had part service history which I didn't realise) and figured it was better than trying to sell it to someone. Spent the money on new tyres all round for my MR2 MK2 so that worked out and lost something like £50 on what I paid for it in the three years I owned it :D

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
They spend more time going over the visual condition of the car rather than looking for mechanical errors. Mechanically the tests they did to mine were turn it on, let it idle for a couple of minutes, blipped the throttle a few times and he drove it a from one side of the car park to the other (about 100 meters) and tested the brakes then switched it off and went back to looking at the cosmetics.
This is because that is how the car will be sold on. UKCGR is the seller name.

Soldato
As per the other posts really - made next to no mechanical checks on my car

When getting s price put it an extremely critical view of damage through the online tool so you know the end price is correct before you attend

With my car there was a couple of hundred quid difference between their assessment (started from the "non damaged" quote) and my own, with the exact same damage mark ups. In fairness they paid the higher sum after I kindly pointed it out to them

Associate
Same with ours. Engine fault was beyond economical repair and after making a few calls were only going to get £150-200 scrap.
The Mrs was in the local supermarket and they had a booth in the car park so she thought it was worth a punt.
She was upfront about the mechanical issue and they weren't bothered.
Got offered £850 for it so she almost bit their hand off!
I suppose the mech issue it had wouldn't really be picked up at an auction inspection so they're not fussed!

Soldato
I work for one of the major competitors and all my bosses are ex WBAC. It's pretty much all about the visual condition. The buyers should test drive the car, but realistically few do and when they do it's into second gear and reverse it. If there's a warning light, or a strange noise then they may put it in the workshop but it's very unlikely - especially on a car going to auction.

We don't have any locations near us, but trust me your reg and mileage and I can give you an idea what we'd pay for it if you like. They'll sting you for service history, MOT length, etc as well.

Soldato
I work for one of the major competitors and all my bosses are ex WBAC. It's pretty much all about the visual condition. The buyers should test drive the car, but realistically few do and when they do it's into second gear and reverse it. If there's a warning light, or a strange noise then they may put it in the workshop but it's very unlikely - especially on a car going to auction.

What's the indicative % deviation from your projected auction price (i.e your internal valuation not the customer valuation with overhead/profit) out of interest once they run through? I assume it varies by the general worth of the car

Soldato
What's the indicative % deviation from your projected auction price (i.e your internal valuation not the customer valuation with overhead/profit) out of interest once they run through? I assume it varies by the general worth of the car

We don't really value them based on what we think it'll do at auction, instead we simply start our valuation against a % of CAP Clean. This varies from 75-102% depending on the car. Then we deduct a set %age depending on condition/service history/keys/etc. The vast majority of what we buy is retailable through our network. I'd confidently say that we beat ABYC on retailable cars 9/10 but they will beat us on trade cars 9/10. Auction cars are over 6 years old and/or 70k miles (as a general rule).

Soldato
I sold 2 cars via WBAC, both were shagged. One never went back on the road (tax was never renewed). Price was very good compared to scrap but below market value if not shagged.

Soldato
After seeing the state of cars friends have sold to them, no chance lol

One had a petrol leak and was a borderline death trap. They didn't even start it up to test it etc, just handed the money over.

Man of Honour
I almost sold a non-running car with a failed engine to WBAC for £1700. Instead I put it on ebay and got £3500. It's worth getting a quote from WBAC ans then trying to better it on ebay. But be prepared for a deluge of idiots messaging you as soon as you do.

Soldato
OP
So just for thread conclusion, thought I'd update as I used WBAC yesterday.
Arrived for my appointment time, gentleman I spoke with was ready ontime.
I had an online valuation of £5k, however I'd already declared one piece of damage across the top of the bot lid and my current quote was at £4850.

He went around the car and noted down damage, confirmed what I'd already declared.
Started the car up, turned off and then started the car up again - there was absolutely no road test or even movement test.
He made some remarks on the overall condition of the car being good, went back to his computer, put all of the details in - £4100.

He turned to me and said "Well I'm disappointed by that" and said, lets try and round that up.
£4200
Let us see if it'll let me go again.
£4300
And one more?
£4400

He then said that was the price after their admin fee, so it would be £4400 in my pocket.

So this was a 7.5yr old Octavia vRS, Petrol Hatchback with just over 105k miles. Service history - all main dealer until the last one which was indi, service due now.
Error codes cleared before inspection and they didn't appear during inspection - wouldn't have expected them to.

Shook guys hand. Proceeded to go directly to DVLA website to mark the vehicle as sold to them, so no need to send off slips etc. I didn't pay for the expedited payment, so the £4400 won't hit my bank until about Wednesday.
Was told it was a full and final sale, so obviously I couldn't go back and change my mind, on the flip-side also meant any future orange lights would be their problem not mine.

Back
Top Bottom