Got a refund from paypal but PSN said no

Soldato
I must have got lucky when my daughter purchased some add on content for a Free to Play game. Was for around £25 and was able to get a refund using the online form. I think with mine it was given back due to the fact I have never downloaded the game before, so it hadn't become active.

Associate
You need to supervise yours & other peoples kids better. So either suck it up as a lesson or blame them and dont give them any pocket money for a year.

Soldato
Tbh I don't see why you got PayPal involved from get go, would have given Sony a chance to least sort it.

Also password it up, I have it so should I buy anything have to type in password at checkout.

My son is only 2 so doesn't go near consols yet but better safe than sorry

Soldato
Also password it up, I have it so should I buy anything have to type in password at checkout.

My son is only 2 so doesn't go near consols yet but better safe than sorry

I've done this ever since my incident. At the time my daughter was either going on 2 or just turned 2, so she was just hitting random buttons.

She doesn't have a grasp on consoles but she actually knows how to play Playstation Pets on the Vita. I just have to make sure I stick the handheld in Airplane mode.

Soldato
I'm not sure why you assume that means he's not a parent.
But..it is though. Payment methods should be secured and the ps4 allows you to do that by requiring a password at checkout. Its not sonys fault if you choose not to do that.
No it doesn't..... I've not used paypal to buy something from the app store since 2016. A kid at my party was playing on it and clicked "ok" to purchase, no password, 3 numbers at the back.... Nothing. One click purchase i didn't even know was possible.

Again, so you're saying by that logic if left £50 on the table you'd take it and say "sorry you should have kept it safe, you're not having your money back. Your fault!".
What do you mean no it doesn't? Are you saying you already have a password setup for checkout but fortnite bypassed it?

?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm still a massive advocate that you should only add as much money as you need RIGHT THEN when you want to make a purchase and you buy the appropriate amount on top up cards from somewhere like Amazon. Worst case scenario is you'll only have <£10 available on your account if someone gets unauthorised access.

Associate
Not sony but....

My son purchased over £100 in coins on my old kindle years ago. I phoned them up and they refunded the money right away, they could see this was not normal activity on my account. They even let us keep the coins he purchased lol.

Soldato
So you're saying "the finders keepers" logic is fair game. I'm pretty sure if you find cash and fail to report it its a crime?

I find it shocking that we as consumers always stick up for these multi national corps... "Oooooo your fault for using your playstation for years and someone else absuing your settings" logic.

It's pretty different as they're providing a service or product for you to use. If they didn't have that stance they'd have everyone buying something, using it, then they might decide they didn't like it and then ring up claiming it was unauthorised and to give the money back. That wouldn't work as a business.

Password it or don't let anyone on the machine, simple. I've not got a password on mine, but I sure as **** will if anyone else starts using it. If my kids managed to turn it on and buy stuff though then that's my own fault. I might password it actually... :p

Soldato
I managed to get £48 refunded from MS from a no excuse on my part similar incident. I didn't really expect to get it, I requested it in a bit of a panic when 3x thanks for your purchase emails arrived

Caporegime
We had a party at ours Saturday, a few of the kids were playing fornite. Didn't realise my paypal account was still linked, they purchased fornite.

You need to take personal responsiblity here, try to get a refund by all means but at the end of the day you're to blame for not realisiing until it was too late.

Soldato
in my view kids buying stuff does not equal authorisation.

What would a shop keeper do if an 8 year old tried to buy sweets with daddy's credit card without daddy present?

The gaming industry is known for its haphazard attitude to sales laws, it took steam several years to comply with its refund policy e.g.

I would argue with sony, that its their fault for not asking for paypal password authorisation when processing the payment, if they remain stubborn then trash the account since you said you prepared to lose it.

If they value you, and they should, then the value of a DLC is a pittance to them, but I expect they will be stubborn.

fez

fez

Caporegime

What would a shop keeper do if an 8 year old tried to buy sweets with daddy's credit card without daddy present?

Thats completely different and even then I think most would serve them because daddy is a big boy and should know where his credit cards are. How do they know that £10 note you are using for your sweets isn't stolen from somewhere?

The tools are there to stop this sort of thing happening and if you don't bother to use them then thats your problem. If they can recover the digital good or see that they are not used then fine, give a refund but if its something that is non-recoverable then use it as a lesson to learn how to protect yourself better from your children doing things you don't want them to.

Soldato

The gaming industry is known for its haphazard attitude to sales laws, it took steam several years to comply with its refund policy e.g.

I would argue with sony, that its their fault for not asking for paypal password authorisation when processing the payment, if they remain stubborn then trash the account since you said you prepared to lose it.

If they value you, and they should, then the value of a DLC is a pittance to them, but I expect they will be stubborn.
There is an option to have to input your password before purchases OP did not use that option. He is 100% to blame but in this day and age no one will take responsibility for anything.

Soldato
There is an option to have to input your password before purchases OP did not use that option. He is 100% to blame but in this day and age no one will take responsibility for anything.

I do happen to know a bit about sales law.

So I found the settings (which I have never touched for my account), there is require a password at checkout (I assume this is PSN password and not paypal password, poor going from sony). Also an option to auto topup account for pre orders and subscription. Both were set to no.

To be sure, I setup a new account, and I wanted to check two things, (1) if I was asked to configure these options and (2) what the defaults were. I was not asked and the defaults were both no. However I didnt add a means of payment to the new account, its possible sony asks when that is added.

If sony want end users to be liable for unauthorised purchases then they shouldnt be doing things like not requiring 3 digit code for cards (they never ask for mine on repeat purchases), and not requiring password for paypal purchases (they ask on website in desktop browser but not console).

If this was taken to a chargeback to the card company, and they found out the card holder did not specifically approve the transaction, the chargeback would probably be done no questions asked and any appeal from sony ignored. Banking and sales laws always supercede terms and conditions for services. Of course sony could still ban the account just because they can, but they would be on wrong legal footing if they tried to claim he is liable for the payment.

Back
Top Bottom