Retro console and games thread

Soldato

I agree. Tbh I buy to play anyway so value isn't important though a good deal on a boxed game is always considered just because :D.

I have a few from years ago, Mario Kart and Smash Bros being my favourite as they are actually in very good condition still.

Soldato
Wave race 64 is a wonderful game. I really dislike Nintendo for using cardboard boxes though.
Yeah such a pain. I love having a few in fair condition, they feel like more of a package than games of today but yep they don't stand the test of time unless they have been really looked after :(

Really debating getting the N64 RGB mod done

Caporegime
Bolstering my N64 selection a little bit. Not sure if Cart only is frowned upon :D but keeps the cost down ;)

20181110-140902.jpg

Everyone rates 007 and PD as the best FPS on N64 but Turok 2 multiplayer was simply sublime. The Campaign was fantastic as well.

Soldato
So I've recently been getting back into gaming as my Super NT has rekindled my passion. Ive also got a Mega SG on order but I'm also yearning for a more capable CD based console, one that I didn't have at the time. Incidentally Ive cancelled my PS1 classic preorder as most of the bundled games aren't my favourites and it's just an emulator.

I thinking it's between a Dreamcast and a PS2. The Sony has a bigger game library but im intrigued by the Sega console, the games seem more interesting and individual. I still have my XBONEX for current titles and previously had a PS4 Pro and a PS3. Im concerned that by choosing a PS2 the games will just look like poorer versions of what I had before.

My question then: are the Dreamcast games of high quality and are they involving enough, or should I just play safe with another Sony?

Soldato
So I've recently been getting back into gaming as my Super NT has rekindled my passion. Ive also got a Mega SG on order but I'm also yearning for a more capable CD based console, one that I didn't have at the time. Incidentally Ive cancelled my PS1 classic preorder as most of the bundled games aren't my favourites and it's just an emulator.

I thinking it's between a Dreamcast and a PS2. The Sony has a bigger game library but im intrigued by the Sega console, the games seem more interesting and individual. I still have my XBONEX for current titles and previously had a PS4 Pro and a PS3. Im concerned that by choosing a PS2 the games will just look like poorer versions of what I had before.

My question then: are the Dreamcast games of high quality and are they involving enough, or should I just play safe with another Sony?

Dreamcast is a fantastic console that was maybe a bit ahead of its time for its own good. It did well imo with arcade games matching the real thing in the arcades. Some great fighters and racing games for sure, and some weirder stuff like fishing with a rod controller etc.

Fantastic games for sure, but the games cost more.

PS2 games for the most part are dirt cheap due to just how popular the system was with a tonne of variety to chose from. Also they can play PS1 games to making the library even more vast.

Soldato

I am a dreamcast fan but honestly, I'd say get a PS2. They're much cheaper, the games are everywhere with a very wide variety available and are also much cheaper, the cables that fit the PS3 also fit the PS2. Having two analogue sticks makes life much, much easier (and the stick on the Dreamcast pad isn't great).

Yes the Dreamcast has lots of "individual" and interesting games (say about 50% of the games released on the system), but the PS2 library is so vast that the 10% of its games that are a bit unusual and interesting is still a far higher number of games than the 50% on the Dreamcast. Also, due to the controller design, DC games are less pick up and play and haven't aged as well.

If you want to play late 90s and early 2000s games, get a PS2. If you want to play Dreamcast games, get a Dreamcast. Which is definitely a valid thing to do, it is a very intersting little console especially when you take it online or get the mouse and keyboard and use it via VGA etc...

Soldato
I think that sums it up well. I'd recommend a Dreamcast as more of a curiosity of the period, what they were trying to do is interesting and it's ties to Microsoft are pretty neat. The original Xbox is essentially a Dreamcast 2 imo. Some great videos around this on YouTube.

But the PlayStation 2 has so many Gems it's hard not to recommend. Loads of unique horror games, middle tier games that we dont get any more really as games cost just too much to make. I guess the indie scene fills that gap mostly.

Soldato
Ok guys, I think this is clearer now. I was conflicted before, but simply it boils down to the fact I just want to play older games, rather than specifically Dreamcast games. With more choice in PS2 games, I should have better luck finding ones I like. Thanks.

Soldato
Ok guys, I think this is clearer now. I was conflicted before, but simply it boils down to the fact I just want to play older games, rather than specifically Dreamcast games. With more choice in PS2 games, I should have better luck finding ones I like. Thanks.

Absolutely. I think the era has aged quite well too outside of controls

Associate
latest pick up, ordered from cex first one turned up with a slightly damaged box and no english manual, tried again and im pretty happy with this one in excellent condtion for our collection. had a quick balst and it could be good, ill get stuck into it when i have more time.
IMG-20181114-094435.jpg

IMG-20181114-094324.jpg

f6FvAL

Soldato
latest pick up, ordered from cex first one turned up with a slightly damaged box and no english manual, tried again and im pretty happy with this one in excellent condtion for our collection. had a quick balst and it could be good, ill get stuck into it when i have more time.
IMG-20181114-094435.jpg

IMG-20181114-094324.jpg

f6FvAL

That's a lovely looking set, will look it up!

Associate
Loads of cool ideas for room and storage in this thread. Looking ti get a stand for my tv and my consoles but my googlefu seems to be failing me. Could anyone help me possibly find an 8-12 bay shelf suitable for this thats about 4ft in length or am I dreaming will it need to be longer? I can only get up to 4ft in length at the moment in my room largest console it needs to accept is the ps4

Back
Top Bottom