*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
I still find it hilarious that sky or cable charge for 'HD' programming years after it's been the norm. I'm a sky customer, I like my sports, docs and the kids like their stuff, thing that turns me off is that the whole skyQ is only 2TB of storage, I have my parents living with me too, I already have a sky 2tb HD box, this already is down at 20% despite me trying to constantly keep things cleared. I Just wonder, with skyq, how many actual hours of 4k you could record? For example I very often work weekends, which means the rugby and football / F1 / motogp etc I'd want to record, a 2 TB drive would be finished in a weekend, especially if the ufc or the boxing was on as well?

What I have decided on , is to use the quad lnb, buy another 2tb box for the bedroom, and rely on the tv to upscale from HD.. this way I have 4TB storage, don't have to pay for uhd / skyq, I'm hoping I can get the new box added for the 10 pound multiroom, the box itself cost 30 quid off a popular site. I think skyq is a massive rip off for what it is, I've looked to see any mods to stick 5TB drives in, the software just won't have it.. so as far as I can see what is the point of 4k unless you watch it live with a 2TB drive? I bet you get 50 hrs or less of programmes. I have a high speed connection, 70meg, so getting 4k content to stream isn't a huge problem, currently I see skyq as a joke, why wouldn't they put at least 5TB drives if not 10, then it might be worth paying a premium for..

Caporegime
I still find it hilarious that sky or cable charge for 'HD' programming years after it's been the norm. I'm a sky customer, I like my sports, docs and the kids like their stuff, thing that turns me off is that the whole skyQ is only 2TB of storage, I have my parents living with me too, I already have a sky 2tb HD box, this already is down at 20% despite me trying to constantly keep things cleared. I Just wonder, with skyq, how many actual hours of 4k you could record? For example I very often work weekends, which means the rugby and football / F1 / motogp etc I'd want to record, a 2 TB drive would be finished in a weekend, especially if the ufc or the boxing was on as well?

What I have decided on , is to use the quad lnb, buy another 2tb box for the bedroom, and rely on the tv to upscale from HD.. this way I have 4TB storage, don't have to pay for uhd / skyq, I'm hoping I can get the new box added for the 10 pound multiroom, the box itself cost 30 quid off a popular site. I think skyq is a massive rip off for what it is, I've looked to see any mods to stick 5TB drives in, the software just won't have it.. so as far as I can see what is the point of 4k unless you watch it live with a 2TB drive? I bet you get 50 hrs or less of programmes. I have a high speed connection, 70meg, so getting 4k content to stream isn't a huge problem, currently I see skyq as a joke, why wouldn't they put at least 5TB drives if not 10, then it might be worth paying a premium for..

Considering that the UHD stuff it's only the F1, Cricket and Premier League football that's Live 2TB of space (and you don't even get all 2TB, you get about 1.7GB) is plenty. I used to record the F1 in HD and UHD ever weekend and they don't take up that much space TBH.

Soldato
Considering that the UHD stuff it's only the F1, Cricket and Premier League football that's Live 2TB of space (and you don't even get all 2TB, you get about 1.7GB) is plenty. I used to record the F1 in HD and UHD ever weekend and they don't take up that much space TBH.
It goes really quick. I’m constantly having to delete stuff, especially as the default is to Series Link rather than record a single show. I think we’re just used to not having to worry about storage (Netflix/Amazon) so having to manually delete stuff seems like such a faff.

Soldato
A feature I would love to see on SkyQ would be "swapping HD for UHD" on recorded programs.
As many people will know, Q offers more UHD content "On Demand" than it does "Live". I get why this is and understand that.
So I schedule a load of programs to record and they will "record at the time" and will be in HD. Now imagine if Q could see that I've got a program stores in HD and it knows there is a UHD version of it available.
It could go off, download the UHD version and replace that in my recorded programs.

I don't know, maybe that situation is very niche, but I'd love to be able to switch something like that on.

Associate
A feature I would love to see on SkyQ would be "swapping HD for UHD" on recorded programs.
As many people will know, Q offers more UHD content "On Demand" than it does "Live". I get why this is and understand that.
So I schedule a load of programs to record and they will "record at the time" and will be in HD. Now imagine if Q could see that I've got a program stores in HD and it knows there is a UHD version of it available.
It could go off, download the UHD version and replace that in my recorded programs.

I don't know, maybe that situation is very niche, but I'd love to be able to switch something like that on.
I’d love this too. I find this a huge frustration on Sky Q - it’s a shame scheduled recordings can’t go and grab the UHD on demand episode instead of even recording the HD version - even if it needs to wait until the original program has finished first.

Soldato
It goes really quick. I’m constantly having to delete stuff, especially as the default is to Series Link rather than record a single show. I think we’re just used to not having to worry about storage (Netflix/Amazon) so having to manually delete stuff seems like such a faff.
afaik - live sports usually at 30Mb/s => 0.014 TB/hr => 120 hours in 1.7TB

buy another 2tb box for the bedroom, and rely on the tv to upscale from HD.. this way I have 4TB storage, don't have to pay for uhd / skyq, I'm hoping I can get the new box added for the 10 pound multiroom, the box itself cost 30 quid off a popular site.
will they ever enable a 2TB box they did not supply ? won't you need additonal wideband lnb's too, or some kind of splitter.

Caporegime
afaik - live sports usually at 30Mb/s => 0.014 TB/hr => 120 hours in 1.7TB

will they ever enable a 2TB box they did not supply ? won't you need additonal wideband lnb's too, or some kind of splitter.
You can only have one 2TB Q box per account. If it’s a 2TB +HD box then they won’t install it for you but can send a viewing card. You also can’t mix Q and Sky+HD with sky channels.

Associate
I've never really found the storage an issue the entire time I've have Sky Q (since it launched). I don't tend to both deleting anything either - just leave the box to manage its own storage by auto deleting old recordings to free up space, but controlling the behaviour by marking recordings as 'keep' which I don't want it to touch.
Besides, with most content now available on demand now anyway, physical storage is becoming a moot point.

Associate
When in 2019 is BT Sports being added to SkyQ?

I’ve read they but but no exact dates
I've had it on SkyQ in the past. Not great though, if you want to watch on a Mini Box you have to have a subscription on the main box too. It also caused a lot of confusion in trying to get it added as the BT guy didn't know how to add it and had to get his manager, I also pointed out that there is one viewing card so that should be for all boxes meaning only one subscription. I have now cancelled it and have it on an iPad and watch it through Amazon FireTV.

Soldato
Afternoon all, do we think there's anything likely to come up for Black Friday for existing customers.

I'm on Sky Q, 2TB box, 3 x mini boxes plus all the normal channels box sets etc but no movies/sport/netflix for £55pcm on a rolling monthly contract now. Fells like I should be able to do a bit better if I sign up fro another 18 months. Is the only way to get a good offer to go through the "i'm moving to Virgin, please cancel my account" game or are Sky advisors empowered to help with a sensible offer before I cancel? I'm not actually adverse to cancelling and going for VM new customer offer if it's better, it just seems a bit of a faff if there's a reasonable way to do a deal with black friday.

Soldato
I've had it on SkyQ in the past. Not great though, if you want to watch on a Mini Box you have to have a subscription on the main box too. It also caused a lot of confusion in trying to get it added as the BT guy didn't know how to add it and had to get his manager, I also pointed out that there is one viewing card so that should be for all boxes meaning only one subscription. I have now cancelled it and have it on an iPad and watch it through Amazon FireTV.
Mother in law has it on her iPad (with an EE sim in) and casts it to her Chromecast I setup for her, but it’s all a bit of a faff for her, I’d much prefer a channel she can just switch over to or record from ....

Soldato
Afternoon all, do we think there's anything likely to come up for Black Friday for existing customers.

I'm on Sky Q, 2TB box, 3 x mini boxes plus all the normal channels box sets etc but no movies/sport/netflix for £55pcm on a rolling monthly contract now. Fells like I should be able to do a bit better if I sign up fro another 18 months. Is the only way to get a good offer to go through the "i'm moving to Virgin, please cancel my account" game or are Sky advisors empowered to help with a sensible offer before I cancel? I'm not actually adverse to cancelling and going for VM new customer offer if it's better, it just seems a bit of a faff if there's a reasonable way to do a deal with black friday.
The Black Friday deal is for existing customer too afiak
£55 per month for entertainment, box sets, hd, Netflix, cinema and q experience (formally multi room) - no upfront fee if keeping existing equipment - free tv as well

Soldato
£55 per month for entertainment, box sets, hd, Netflix, cinema and q experience (formally multi room) - no upfront fee if keeping existing equipment - free tv as well

I initially thought you were discussing the £55 pound a year Nowtv entertainment deal, which also seems good ! £100 w/movies

Soldato
Got an issue with one of out SkyQ minis where an MR209 proximity error keeps showing up, reset the network on it and done a hard reset, switched off the main router and the main SkyQ 2TB but made no difference so called Sky and an engineer coming out Friday, we had a new router installed the week before last and a new cable pulled from our house the the street pole as the cable was degraded and we had a cable from two separately twisted pairs according to the openreach engineer .....

All I want is a stable wireless and tv system to stop the wife and kids moaning at me!

Soldato
Thanks, didn't realise that. Just had a look at the Sky Store and that deal shows as sold out now though so missed it.... bugger...

Back
Top Bottom