~46 inch tv for monitor

Associate
ATM i use a 2008 vintage 42 inch hd tv as my monitor, this is because the monitor/tv is at the end of my bed... so about 12 foot from where my head it when im using it (i have disabilities that means i'm stuck in bed a lot)

The tv is the type that uses cold cathode tubes for the backlight, hence it chucks out a ridiculous ammount of heat in use.

So thinking of getting a more modern tv, one that uses led's for the backlight to hopefully cut down on the heat in the room,

I can go to a 46 inch size i rekon if it's got a thin bezel, is it worth going for one of the curved screens with my viewing distance?

I am using a GTX 1060 gfx card, i recently bought that as i am perfectly happy gaming at 1080p resolution, so not looking for a 4k tv/monitor.

Budget i'd say is around 500 quid or so.

What tv would be best for use as a monitor? or can you get dedicated computer monitors at that size without breaking the bank?

it'll only ever be used as a monitor, i never watch tv, and if i did it's be through the ps4 for netflix i guess.
and i run the sound through a 7.1 chanel AV amp, so no interest in the sound part of the tv either.

Associate
OP
Been looking online, and found the 'lg 49lk5900pla' a 49 inch 1080p tv, will just fit in the space i have i rekon (i have at most 1115mm width, this is 1110mm wide)

It's got an IPS screen, and 'Active HDR, HDR10 Pro, HLG' something about a 100hz HDR thing.. tho it's a standard 50hz screen.

Can you tell i havent got a clue.. lol

But it's hard to find recently released 1080 tv's/monitors, everythings 4k nowadays, this tv above was released this year aparantly,

Associate
OP
i guess i'm a casual gamer... this computer is used to run a single 'game' train simulator 2019, plus what ever game i'm into on the PS4 at the time (still playing farcry 5)

to surf the web etc i use my laptop,

the tv is also about 12 foot away from me when in use

Associate
OP
ahh yes, G-Synch, guess that's what i'll have to live without when going for a TV...

but if i can get a 45 to 50 inch gsynch monitor for around 500 quid, i'll jump for it... but i think that aint gonna happen... also i want to stick with 1080p resolution, so that kind of limits me too

Soldato
Gaming on a big screen with low ppi may not look great. Depends on the game and how close you're to it. Got a 50" 1080p looks great but for precision FPS and RPG want higher ppi.

Associate
Did you actually mean 12 feet? At that distance, even with a 50" screen, you probably couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, so 1080p would be fine.

Associate
OP
the distance might be closer to 10 feet.... but basically i'm laying on the bed, which is 6 foot long, and my head is at the top end.... then there's a 3 foot gap between the end of the bed and the rack i use for the TV, AV amp, PS4 and the PC... plus i have 3 of the 7 speakers mounted on the rack too,
then the TV sits towards the back of the rack which is i guess 2 foot deep.. so total distance from my eyes to the TV is 10 to 12 foot.

The game i play on it is a train simulator (TS2019) so it's basically the view out the windscreen of a train, no bullets whizzing through the air or body parts flying about that need to be captured in full gory detail.. there's not even any crash physics in the simulator so a car stopped on the level rossing, the train just goes straight through it like it's a ghost.

And the sim runs at between 20 and 60 fps.

The TV i mention above is £349 from Richer Sounds (which gets their standard 6 year warrenty) https://www.richersounds.com/lg-49lk5900pla.html but i can not find the pixel response time for it, but do i need a really fast response time for the game i'll be playing on it?

Associate
OP
Cheers, signed up and asked the Q on there... but i may not get much response as they all watch TV on their ...well.. tv's lol, tho a lot use PS4's, so hopefully i'll get some response before the black friday sales.

I know you can get different panel techs even with tv's, and it seems ips is the cheaper less suitible one for gaming, the next one up seems to be a VA panel, what ever that is... of course the latest thing is OLED, but they start at 55 inch models, and i can't physically fit that size where it has to go in my room... before i tackle the thousand quid plus price tag..
Then there's the screen burn issue they say affects OLED.... and a simulator game has a pretty big fairly static part to it... the cab of the vehicle your sat in.... i remember being able to still see the outline of the cab on my old plasma tv years ago.

Of course i'm restricting myself trying to stay at 1080p resolution, if i went for 4k there's tons to choose from, but i don't think running a 4k panel at about half it's native resolution is a good idea???

my fault for going for a GTX1060 card to work with my existing (1080p) TV
but to be honest i'd imagine the menues and info panels in the train sim would be unreadable at 4k resolution even on a 50 inch screen viewed from 10 to 12 feet away... i remember i could hardly read the ingame info display on my laptop when i ran it at 4k resolution, ok thats on a little 13 inch screen, but it's only a foot away from my nose.

Back
Top Bottom